Stoneybyres - The Clyde

Inland paddling
Xan

Stoneybyres - The Clyde

Post by Xan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:34 am

I was on the clyde yesterday having a play at the wave at Crossford and decided to take a walk up to Stoneybyres power station to look at the section beleow. I have heard that it goes as a greade 4 when there is alot of water but from what I could see it looks horrible with a few undercuts and ropey rock formations.

Has anyone on here ran it? Hard to tell when it's empty but felt ike it was more a grade 5 than a 4. I have looked at the Clyde guide on here but it seems to be written from below Corra linn to above stoney byres.

neilfarmer

Re: Stoneybyres - The Clyde

Post by neilfarmer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:06 pm

No, I do not think anyone has run StoneyByres falls. Not been to look at them for a long while, but fairly sure they are quite tall and land on rocks. It is slightly possible that they land on rocks "pointing in the right direction (ie slabs)", so one day someone with a indestructable back or a limited wish to see the future may just see what happens!! The falls above, Corra Linn and Bonnington Linn (the top one) have been run.

The section between Bonnington Linn and Cora Linn is apparently gd4 with a *big* hole at some levels at the end of the section.
The section between Cora Linn and StoneyByres is gd4 with one smaller waterfall, visible from New Lanark Heritage centre.
Ran these sections many years back in (I cant really remember) but probably low-medium water.
Neil Farmer.

Xan

Post by Xan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 am

Thanks Neil. I didn't think it was a go-er. Just looks horrible. The person telling me about it might be getting confused with the section above. Think I'll be steering clear.

neil.farmer

Post by neil.farmer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:57 am

From memory, the trip, not in high water, from above/at Bonnington Linn to the bottom of the ge2/3 normal Clyde section was actually quite a good day out. Portaging the big falls obviously.
Neil Farmer (from mobile)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”