New danger on the East Lyn

Inland paddling
pete thorn

New danger on the East Lyn

Post by pete thorn »

Most regulars know, but something has changed on crux 1 in the Lyn Gorge. Much more water is going down the right hand 'chicken shoot' and several people have suffered vertical pins under water. See http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/kay ... ons/259155 for detail and handy rescue.
Anyone running this fall is advised to set up safety cover in advance.
Pete Thorn

Simon Westgarth

Re: New danger on the East Lyn

Post by Simon Westgarth »

This footage has gone viral, and was even on the Good Morning America in the US today......... Barny the rescuer in the video, is currently on a media interview tour, even missed paddling today for a few appointments in Bristol. What a rock star.

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

Does that mean that my new Snapdragon deck that he sorted and supplied, and has therefore touched, is now worth so much more??

banzer

Post by banzer »

66quinny66 wrote:Does that mean that my new Snapdragon deck that he sorted and supplied, and has therefore touched, is now worth so much more??
I also have the newSnapdragon (nice isn't it?!) ... am desparately searching for his autograph on the invoice ;-)
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

hardy

Post by hardy »

Yes....he provided me with one of those decks . I reckon mine was jinxed ;-)

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

It stayed on and looked like it served you well.
Glad you were ok.
dave

TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Very slick and quick - rather reassuring.

Glad you're ok mate.

Torridon

Post by Torridon »

hey all,

Just settled here in Aus and what do my new work collegues show but the video of Lyn. At first I didn't know where it was as I walked into the office as they we're watching it, but straight away recorgnised the falls.

The instructors over here we're really impressed with the speed of the rescue as I stood watching. keep up all the outstanding padding and the mega high standards we all work to, the guys in the vid we're a credit to UK paddlers and as always maintained our very high standards of safety.

Cheers Chris

(Formally Scotland, Dingwall & Somerset, Minehead)
Kayak Coaching & Expeditons in SW of England

banzer

Post by banzer »

It reminds me of the bottom of Pipeline on the Fairy Glen. Ideally you follow the main flow to the left, but sometimes you get sent right of the central rock and go down the gutter on the right. I always worry there might be trees or rocks or something in this right 'line', though have never had any problems when I have gone that way. Anyone care to tell me if this line is considered 'safe' or not?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

morsey

Post by morsey »

This has always been a pin spot! Two of us on Saturday recounted previous pins, at the same spot. Maybe the internet/GoPro is highlighting more incidents!?! It's always dragged right and it's always been a case of judging when to push left and even then it's not uncommon to get pushed close to the river right boulder guarding the middle channel.

What has changed? (Since the photos in the early nineties) I'm not sure about the river, both the river left and river right shoots have filled up and cleared at various points in time. It's always been an issue of running this section, to avoid the sides and stay in the flow.

Other things have definitely changed:
Boats: Modern boats are less prone to pinning??? Seems not, they are better but you can't rule pins out. There is change in the cockpit area especially with creek boats. A larger cockpit and step out blocks are definite progression. Plus the multiple clipping points on modern boats gives you much more options for retrieving/stabilising boats.
PFD's: In the photos there are only two out of five wearing buoyos with harnesses. Even those do not provide the advantage of modern buoyos that you can clip at multiple points, esp the shoulder area and pull knowing the integral webbing will take the load. Hardy's Buoyo was ripping whilst being pulled out, but that was just the soft lining fabric, the webbing did it's job. Everyone on Saturday had on a full webbing modern buoyo.
Helmets: Fullfacers and Protecs, quite a contrast there. But for sure we have better helmets all round these days, with substantial front padding and lips which help to create the air pocket.
Rescue tapes: These are new (compared to the nineties) and they are the number one go to piece of equipment. Virtually everyone I paddle with carries one about their person. If you don't have one, get one, they also form a highly efficient pulley system (better than rope on the stats from Plas Y Brenin tests!).

Mikers

Post by Mikers »

Viral indeed.
This from ABC:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/kayak-r ... s-20786977

"Now to the dramatic rescue caught on tape. A kayaker trapped between two rocks. His friends racing to free him.

Abc's john muller has that story for us. Reporter: A seemingly normal day on the water took a potentially deadly turn for experienced kayaker mark hardingham on saturday. His friends are battling in the river about three hours outside of london.

An area listed as one of the most difficult rivers to kayak in england, when suddenly, mark's kayak got stuck between two rocks. They were pinned under a raging waterfall. His body trapped and head held underwater.

His friends waste no time, springing into action. Racing to free hardingham. They use ropes to harness him, allowing him to gasp for air.

Then, pulling hardingham to safety. We're extreme quackers. Things do happen.

We make sure we're surrounded around good mates to be able to deal with those situations. As you can see from the video, i had an expert team. Reporter: After a few tense moments, he climbs up on to a rock."

So you're all famous for being extreme quackers.

TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Mikers wrote:Extreme quackers
That might stick.

morsey

Post by morsey »

Krabman and Rock Monkey are the faves I've heard!

hardy

Post by hardy »

Caught offguard by a random phone call. Ahh well.....i said , just wish i hadn't . All looks pretty tame really.

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

hardy wrote:Yes....he provided me with one of those decks . I reckon mine was jinxed ;-)
Hmm, I think I'll just keep mine for show then. I'll stick with my old one for when I'm pushing G1+/2!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”