Re: What are mates for?

Post by DaveBland »

Fan-freaking-tastic work!
Result.
dave

Adam-Evans22

Post by Adam-Evans22 »

Bloody good work. Kept calm under pressure!!

thustler

Post by thustler »

Reckon we can all learn from this, couldn't of handled the situation better.

joules

Post by joules »

Superhero's...the lot of you...including Mark for being so calm under such pressure.

Respect and great news you are all ok.

Hope you all had a well deserved beer afterwards

Jules

Jim

Post by Jim »

Great example of improvisation!

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

I think if there had been an other foot or so of water it would of been a different matter,

As it was, it allowed him to get an air pocket and the rescuers to get up close and talk to him deal with the rescue in a controlled and almost relaxed way, if he had of been completely under with more volume of water then that would truly off been a nasty, nasty rescue and one which would of been hard to do if at all and the outcome may have been much different,

However any rescue you can walk away from and have a laugh Joke about afterwards is a good one

Well done glad it worked out that way,
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

banzer

Post by banzer »

Voodoo wrote:I think if there had been an other foot or so of water it would of been a different matter,
Sorry to be pedantic but if there'd been another foot of water I don't think the boat would have pinned. But I know what you mean, potentially not nice at all.

Love how the guy leaves Barny hanging for the high five! Make him work for it eh.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

banzer wrote:
Voodoo wrote:I think if there had been an other foot or so of water it would of been a different matter,
Sorry to be pedantic but if there'd been another foot of water I don't think the boat would have pinned. But I know what you mean, potentially not nice at all.

I agree, I knew that as I posted, I was more trying to convey the point that as pins go it was a nice one ( and without trying to belittle there actions in anyway) and as such allowed them time to deal with it,

waverley610

Post by waverley610 »

Well that one wasn't a fake..... was it ? ;-)

Big respect 'krab-man' and the team, that was safe!!!

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Unfortunately this isn't the only pin on this slot recently, so watch out if you're paddling the first Crux drop in the East Lyn Gorge:

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

hardy

Post by hardy »

Great team. Thanks to them all.....Morsey , Justin Gale , James Bradley , Mark Shackleton , Carl Ross , Barney Young and Pete' Henderson .

Regarding the high five....i've only just seen the footage , and now realise i kept him hanging there . But the bugger got in my way twice upstream at crucial points ;-)

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Having seen both video clips the left line is obviously the one to take, correct me if I am wrong?

Well done lads, acted with alacrity to execute a quick rescue of your pal, nice to see you all so quick off the mark.

Peter

Strad

Post by Strad »

Neptune wrote:Having seen both video clips the left line is obviously the one to take, correct me if I am wrong?
yes, but the preceding drop kicks you to the right, catching people out and the spot where there are lots of pins suddenly happening used to be the 'chicken route'
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Jim

Post by Jim »

So chances are people arrive on the right line by mistake and out of sorts and probably unable to effect any kind of boof?

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

The thing that really stands out for me is how calm and controlled the whole situation was. If there had been lots of screeching and panic it could have gone a whole lot differently.

A really well managed rescue by all!

C
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

Poke

Post by Poke »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... wning.html

Some great comments...
I hope that this was said without a hint of irony:
daily mail reader wrote:Good they saved his life and saved the taxpayer footing the bill for rescue operation
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

Jim wrote:So chances are people arrive on the right line by mistake and out of sorts and probably unable to effect any kind of boof?
You come tanking round a corner just above focused on the correct line (which is straight in front of you) and suddenly the flow smashes you hard right, off line and towards this very unpleasant slot.
Each time I've seen it run it's been backwards by mistake and thankfully without pinning.
To get the line successfully, as you come around the corner just above you're looking to get your nose on the boil line on the hard left just under a small cliff wall (as I recall) and then you'll shoot straight over the drop.
Giles

hardy

Post by hardy »

Giles is correct. It is called a "crux" move because it is a little more complex than a drop . You boof a 6 footer into an ( as yet ) unseen channel under a small cliff on the left . Different levels give variation to the features there , but usually some water cushions of the undercut and fires to the right against a car sized boulder . The hero line , which i was trying to replicate from my previous time there a year ago , is to drive up on the wave , as it charges right , across the top and lastly hit a left hander and flare of the right rock into the eddy .( The eddy is situated right behind the rock and where the pin took place ).

I did not hit the wave quite right , and was pushed a little right , against my desired rock , but 2 meters back from the drop . The water was recirculating me back behind the rock and around towards the slot / chicken chute . I thought
" Ah well , i'll plop over here , and run back up and do it again " . Something had changed there and i got stuck .
I know of 4 pins that weekend in that place. All the guys with me say something is different . I agree .

So basically i was trying to drive to the right of the drop , but obviously not so back that i missed the drop completely :-(

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Poke wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... wning.html

Some great comments...
I hope that this was said without a hint of irony:
daily mail reader wrote:Good they saved his life and saved the taxpayer footing the bill for rescue operation
Not that I'm a regular Daily Mail reader, but every time there is any kind of rescue situation in rivers, on the hills or at sea, there are calls from such idiots saying what a waste of tax payers money it is, that the person was irresponsible and everyone should have their own insurance to pay for their own rescue. The same sort of people make the same comments on local newspaper comments sections that I read.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

ohh FFS !

Just seen it reported on ABC news, in America as you can imagine no effort has been spared in making it appear even more dramatic than it was with them re editing it to fit their story, and the life threating nature of it was down to sec.to spare,

it was followed by the good news story of the week, which probably involved some Mental handicapped person being singled out for hitting a home run or shooting a basket in a way that seems ever so patronising toward them,

banzer

Post by banzer »

Paddler hailed a hero after epic rescue

"Bristol paddler Mark Hardingham has been praised for his quick thinking in rescuing fellow paddler Mark Shackleton from a sticky situation. Shack was caught on video in full of his friends, capsizing his kayak in a spot where a paddler of his ability should never need to roll. Sitting in the pool above, Hardy quickly acted on the situation, knowing Shack might not be able to escape such an awkward position without assistance. Skillfully aiming his kayak into a 'pin' position, he distracted the other paddlers and thus the video was aimed at him instead. "A dent in my boat was a small price to pay to help Shack escape with his reputation intact, especially with the vid going viral," Hardy quipped. It is not known whether Shack bought the traditional 'rescue beer' for Hardy afterwards.

The pair are believed to be planning a descent of High Force in the near future."
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

banzer wrote:Paddler hailed a hero after epic rescue

"Bristol paddler Mark Hardingham has been praised for his quick thinking in rescuing fellow paddler Mark Shackleton from a sticky situation. Shack was caught on video in full of his friends, capsizing his kayak in a spot where a paddler of his ability should never need to roll. Sitting in the pool above, Hardy quickly acted on the situation, knowing Shack might not be able to escape such an awkward position without assistance. Skillfully aiming his kayak into a 'pin' position, he distracted the other paddlers and thus the video was aimed at him instead. "A dent in my boat was a small price to pay to help Shack escape with his reputation intact, especially with the vid going viral," Hardy quipped. It is not known whether Shack bought the traditional 'rescue beer' for Hardy afterwards.

The pair are believed to be planning a descent of High Force in the near future."
Brilliant !! Thought I was the only one wondering what Bambino was doing upside down !
Born to paddle................forced to work.

morsey

Post by morsey »

I suggested Shacks might want to go hone his skills on the Barle!

hardy

Post by hardy »

Banzer's story is bang on . I know there was a hero in me .

hardy

Post by hardy »

AND....i had to buy all the beer.

dougdew99

Post by dougdew99 »

This takes my breath away. Such a fantastic calm well thought out rescue. You guys were amazing.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

hardy wrote:It is called a "crux" move because it is a little more complex than a drop .
It's actually called a 'Crux' because when writing the SW section of 'English White Water' in 2002/3, I randomly chose uninspired names to describe the two main rapids; 'Crux A' and 'Crux B'. Seeing as those names seem to have stuck, I wish I'd chosen something more idiosyncratic; 'Dipsy' and 'La-La' for example.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Great rescue, gents. Even better that you were considerate enough to film it for the rest of us to learn by.

Now you're all international media stars, I bet (in hindsight) you're all glad you didn't swear quite as much and quite as offensively as the circumstances required.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Strad

Post by Strad »

I particularly liked the 'hope my wife doesn't find out' line in the news interview :-D
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”