Dry suits are damp suits - help!

Inland paddling
Mikers

Dry suits are damp suits - help!

Post by Mikers » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:51 pm

I own both a palm xp150 dry top and a Multisport 3. Neither are dry.

I think, that the problem is the latex seals at the neck and wrists. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but the water seems to get between them and my skin. After a white water session, my chest and arms will be wet. Not soaked, but my thermals are definitely wet.

Does anyone else suffer the same problem?
Does anyone have a solution?

Ta in advance.

TechnoEngineer

Re: Dry suits are damp suits - help!

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Yes

You might need to apply some silicone grease on the rubber part of the zip where the two sides meet.

Not to forget reproofing...
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Mikers

Post by Mikers » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:47 pm

It's not the zip that's leaking Jase. Especially not on the XP150 - it hasn't got one.

With the arms, I definitely get wet from the cuffs. Water seems to get between the latex and my skin. I'm wondering if the damp chest is the same problem.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:05 pm

It's not impossible that much of the dampness you're experiencing is sweat.

But in answer to the original question; water is a tricky blighter and uusally finds a way in sooner or later.
I don't think I've ever owned a bit of kit that was completely (100%) dry.

I should probably add that I've had some of the more pricey kit and this is better overall but still not 100% dry.
The big difference though is warmth. The kit should keep you warm and, in order to do that, mostly dry.

Maybe I set my expectations too low, but I think I'd have sent every single bit of kit back if I didn't...

Nige'

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:59 pm

How slim are you????? The reason I ask is that some people find that when they clench their fist (or hold a paddle) your tendons become more pronounced just under the skin on your wrists This creates a ripple effect around your wrists (your skin surface looks like corrugated sheeting) where water can get in. Also same with the neck.

This is more common with slimmer or very athletic leaner builds.

Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Andy H wrote:...very athletic leaner builds...

Andy
I get this. I'll take that reason.
dave

Mikers

Post by Mikers » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:26 pm

My arms are reasonably lean, my neck and torso less so, that's age for you. :(

You've basically arrived at the same conclusion that I have - at least I think that's what happening at my wrists.

Other than a crash diet of pies, does anyone have a solution? I have a sneaking suspiscion that it was Jason who mentioned some kind of bio seal worn between skin and latex as a solution for those allergic to latex. Any one tried it for fixing this problem? Can anyone point me at this product? Gotta be worth a go.

SeaSkye

Post by SeaSkye » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Pull your dry suit cuffs further up your wrist/arm to create a better seal.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:46 pm

To be fair it happened with my last suit. My new one not so much as the seals are super tight. Too tight, actually. I found that when wearing neoprene gloves, the wrist part stopped it from happening. Maybe some neoprene wrist-bands over the seals it it's bad?
Or… another point of view is to change the way you look at it... why do you wear a dry suit?
Is it to keep 100% fluffy and dry, or more for safely in case you are in the water for a prolonged amount of time? I know for me it's the latter, with the first being a nice side benefit. You could argue that a bit of a soggy sleeve isn't really a problem, giving you are spending your day on/in the water.
dave

Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Is it actually enough that it causes a problem? I get slightly damp wrists on my thermals and the very occasional dribble down my neck, but nowhere near enough to mean I get cold or uncomfortable so i just deal with it. In fact I suspect getting changed mega quickly in the rain gets me far wetter. Pretty sure that wearing neoprene arm warmers under a latex seal would be less comfortable than just having slightly damp wrists....

mantamx

Post by mantamx » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:31 pm

i have kokotat, and when at LV (which i think is very tough for suits), i do get pretty wet hands through seals.. wet enough for water to drip out when it let it out on the lift. which is pretty annoying. been the same with every suit i had, and no i am not too slim - no idea how any water can get through as seals are very tight... i suspect part of the problem is fabric leaking a bit, as when suits are new i dont recall noticing the same.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:34 pm

Mike:
http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products ... ioseal.htm

Also I believe the drysuit should be stored with the zip left open? (if it's a BDH)
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

janet brown

Post by janet brown » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:45 pm

Happens to a couple of guys I know.

Wrists: make sure they are pulled up above the tendons at the wrist, as already stated above.
Neck: ensure base layer isn't too high, and wicking water in. If getting a bit of a beating, water will get in, but not as much as swimming in cag and neoprene trousers!

Janet

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Also made sure when scrambling down cliff above rapid, you don't grab loose rock and fall in with drysuit rolled down around your waist.
It makes it very hard to exit river.
dave

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:47 am

Maybe if you paint latex bands around your wrists the nght before going paddling....???

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”