Fujifilm FinePix XP60 Review.... anyone?

Inland paddling
Daffers

Fujifilm FinePix XP60 Review.... anyone?

Post by Daffers »

Looking at the Fujifilm FinePix XP60 and only downside I can see so far is that its not great at night, which isn't great news as it would be my all round use camera, but thought I see what the paddling community thought.

I can't see any reviews for it on here on searching so I don't think I am going over old ground....

Any helpful thoughts would be great - thanks!
JP Lives Forever

swimboater

Re: Fujifilm FinePix XP60 Review.... anyone?

Post by swimboater »

I bought a yellow XP60 at the end of August, but I've only used it a few times.

One of the main reasons I chose it was that the rotating closure locking mechanism seemed to be the best of all the cameras that I looked at.
Some of the other cameras I saw had a sliding type closure locking catch that would spring open if I bashed them in the wrong way. I thought this would mean that the shockproofness would be useless if that shock was to knock the lock and cause it to spring open and allow it to fill with water.

The next level up of cameras seemed to all have clever things like GPS tagging and Wi-Fi. I decided that I didn't need these features. I can see the benefit of uploading pictures by Wi-Fi without the need to open the seal on the battery/USB compartment, but couldn't justify the extra cost. These features also seemed to make those cameras bigger and heavier.

Some of the higher end waterproof cameras also have an LED ring light that is apparently meant to improve underwater pictures, but this is of no interest to me.

The camera is compact and quite easy to use. The pictures seem fine for my purposes.
There are various rapid fire modes that are good for action shots. The panoramic mode is also much better than any of my previous cameras. Not really tried the video much, but I did find out that you can simultaneously take photos while videoing. There is also a high speed mode that may be fun to play with as it can take videos at up to 240 fps, but only at 320x240.

I had a disagreement with the bloke in the shop about the differences between 1080i and 1080p. The shops price tag/spec incorrectly said it was capable of recording at 1080p but the box said 1080i at 60fps. He tried to tell me that it can do 1080p but only at a reduced resolution which made no sense at all (he wasn't talking about frame rate). I made him look it up on the Fujifilm website as I didn't believe him - I'm constantly baffled by the lack of any useful product knowledge of sales staff in electrical stores. My half hour of research on-line one lunchtime gave me more product knowledge than the bloke in the store. After that I got him to get me a memory card so I could have a play with the display model as some modes were not available when using the limited built in memory.

I bought the Currys "What ever happens" protection. I am pretty sceptical whether it will pay out if I destroy it through paddling, but I like the fact that it gives me a false sense of security. It means I am happier to risk taking my expensive new camera on the river.

Darren S

Re: Fujifilm FinePix XP60 Review.... anyone?

Post by Darren S »

Hey

I bought one a few weeks back for work, and I think it's great! It has it's limitations as all compact cameras do. But it's dead tough, takes a good picture/video and most importantly is easy to use! For £170ish pounds it's a bit of a bargain, I did have the Olympus tough 300 which was twice the price and didn't take as good a picture.

Hers is a link to my work FB page, all the pictures from the 20th September onwards were taken on it, (including some night shots, just held, no tripod or anything) to give you some idea. https://www.facebook.com/channeltraining.co.uk

Cheers

Darren

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”