Gene17's Adventure Paddler's Weekend 3/4 December at RDCP

Inland paddling
Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:22 pm

kevinf wrote:Chris Walker - Somehow I thought you would have been taller!
My first comment on having him pointed out was, "I thought he would have been narrower."

Well...nice to meet Chris and find out he's normal.

PS First meeting Neil Farmer (not so long ago) was sort of similar. Just as with Chris Walker, I was expecting him to be nearly seven foot tall and rippling with muscles, complete with dangling 'Braveheart' style long hair. But, erm...it turned out he was.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Ms McDoom

Post by Ms McDoom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:48 pm

Great weekend.

Thanks to all those who looked after me on my journey down the loop, both in and out of my boat on saturday!!

Thanks to Ollie and Cheesy for the coaching on sunday, and great to have met the others too.

Brilliant evening (weekend) of entertainment....

The top bunk was saved for Neil F.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:52 pm

Ms McDoom wrote:Thanks to all those who looked after me on my journey down the loop, both in and out of my boat on saturday!!
We were just perusing http://www.dartphotos.com , Lisa.

The bad news is that he caught your swim on Saturday, and boy, do you look hacked off. The good news is that you look a lot happier in the photos (and not swimming) on Sunday!
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:10 am

guidebook wrote: rippling with muscles
The only reason they are there (and I don't think so), if at all, is to hold the (newly forming) belly up! Cakes are addictive and bad..... sort of......
Neil Farmer.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:48 am

Hello All, I have a great weekend, I finally managed to show my firends the delights on Dartmoor, and found a new and rathet dynamic move on the home run, plus we got to take the land owner down the river in the appropreiate craft from him.

It was good to see so many old and new faces, especially on the water, and in my mind the whole concept of the APWE, a meeting point for paddler's was excellently achieved due in part to a little rain on Thursday and Friday. For next year we will aid some of the audio delivery, plus have some additional lighting for those who were speaking.

cheers for everybody who came, talked, listened and went paddling.

Regards

Simon Westgarth

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:55 am

guidebook wrote: The bad news is that he caught your swim on Saturday, and boy, do you look hacked off. The good news is that you look a lot happier in the photos (and not swimming) on Sunday!
Not surprising that you look hacked off Lisa- considering the 3 herculean attempts to roll up on the way down Triple and coming oh-so-close!
Hope you're going to get out again soon (this weekend...?) to practise your tips from Cheese & Ollie.

Lisa- check your PMs
Zoe

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:03 am

guidebook wrote: PS First meeting Neil Farmer (not so long ago) was sort of similar. Just as with Chris Walker, I was expecting him to be nearly seven foot tall and rippling with muscles, complete with dangling 'Braveheart' style long hair. But, erm...it turned out he was.
I thought he'd be older, somehow. Absolutely no idea why.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:16 am

neilfarmer wrote:Mr Maud may have something to say about 'pfd replacement time'!
Well, I've thought about it but, to be honest, the cork in this one still seems to have some life left in it!
And I'm sure Neil is nearer 8 feet tall.....
Giles

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:48 pm

guidebook wrote:A disturbing aspect of the weekend was the amount of people I met who turned out to be denizens of this website. I don't know about anyone else, but I find this unsettling...I find it much easier to continue believing that these people exist purely on my computer.
It is intriguing how you develop an image of people from what they write. I was recently identified as a vociferous poster on the subject of access and also as a 'mate' of JF, so I had been put down as some young upstart freestyler. I think it would be fair to say I am nothing of the sort! The person who thought this might well have been disappointed with the truth! ;-)

James F

Post by James F » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:11 pm

You are a mate, Adrian - the only who wears a flat cap, granted.

Fight the power.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:22 pm

Keep my head warm and keeps the rain off my glasses better than a beanie. Eee 'eck as like!

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:41 pm

simon d westgarth wrote:found a new and rather dynamic move on the home run
Tell more! The Dart keeps on offering up new challenges and interest.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:54 pm

Would this be the boof move on one of the diagonals that Teaboy was demonstrating at the weekend?

cswalker

Post by cswalker » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:25 pm

na, that ones is pretty old. Not sure of the 1 simon is on about!

Dodgy Dave

dart weekend..

Post by Dodgy Dave » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:57 pm

I agree a great weekend... Water beer and boating...

The erme and the dart have been my first rivers south of the border, it was definatly worth the drive.

Cheers to all the organisers.

little_miss_yaker

Post by little_miss_yaker » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:11 pm

Thanks guys for a great weekend. Well organised and run.

Having not travelled down to Dartmoor before it was well worth the trip, the Tavy being one of the best UK runs i've done, technical, fun and quick :) The guidebook wasn't wrong when it says best ww rivers in the UK (but I wasn't reading it *promise* ;))

Can't wait for the next one, but after freezing in my van I may venture into the bunkhouse to listen to poling stories next time :o

Sorry again to Stuart for my van placement... Won't happen again!

Cheers

Tasha

P.S. 'Shame on you' who stole the T-shirts... Anyone would think the event was held back here in sunny Salford. I thought more of most paddlers! Many thanks to the technical team, hope you were able to sort something out instead!
Life in plastic, it's fantastic...

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:13 pm

guidebook wrote:
simon d westgarth wrote:found a new and rather dynamic move on the home run
Tell more! The Dart keeps on offering up new challenges and interest.
On the drop half way down the mad mile, it has a set of steps on River Right and a straight drop River Left, I finally saw that I could go with the curlier and at the last minute angle the bow on to the shelf, the bow stalls out the and tails drops away, if you have speed the bow grind the ledge verticlly, once the tail hits the pool, you can spin rotate the boat to land facing downstream, its a cool one!!

koesac

Post by koesac » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:22 am

Thank to everyone involved I had a great time.

Saturday night was great fun with some good speakers.

I paddled the Upper Dart and Dart Loop on Saturday and the Upper on Sunday.

All I can say is AMAZING. I paddled the loop the weekend before for the first time and I loved it, it was the hardest paddle I had done. So you can imagine my excitement when I paddled the Upper on Saturday. I took my first proper swim ever on Euthanasia Falls on Saturday then stuck it on Sunday!

I don't think I was quite ready to paddle the Upper as I have only been paddling for just under a year. But that doesn't matter I did it, loved it, and survived!! Now I can't wait to do it again.

Just out of interest how long was it until everyone else paddled the upper or equivalent?

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:11 am

koesac wrote: Now I can't wait to do it again.
Just out of interest how long was it until everyone else paddled the upper or equivalent?
I can't wait either - a fantastic run.
As for 'waiting for the dart to run', 13 years, but it was a distance and water levels issue. However, with 2 drivers, the distance matters not that much!
Neil Farmer.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”