Select S-lock system

Inland paddling
furby

Select S-lock system

Post by furby » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18 pm

What are peoples experiences and thoughts on the Select S-lock system?

Fire It Up

Re: Select S-lock system

Post by Fire It Up » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:18 am

Hello Furby,

Thanks for the interest in Select Performance paddles.

The S-Lock system is a rock solid set up, we use and trust it enough on our demo fleet of white water paddles which takes some hammering on a daily basis. Once the spigot is tightened up there is absolutely no issues or weaknesses to be had.

We have had the odd customer loose screws when not tightened up which we see as the only down fall to this system.

We use two other systems as adjustable spigots. We have the Quick lock and also the S-Lock2. the S-Lock2 works from a leaver which is great that it has no parts to loose, however the whole system creates less pressure than the S-Lock which is why we don't recommend this system on our white water blades. We know of other brands which use this spigot on their white water blades, however this would not be our first choice of spigot for white water use.

To see the range of spigots to compare, or whether you're making split paddles, take a look here: www.Fire-It-Up.co.uk/accessories
Thanks,

wst2

Post by wst2 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 am

I have a s lock paddle and its great but it lets the water in as you cannot do the bolts up tight enough to prevent this, however they may have fixed this problem with the s lock 2 which also looks like a much better design! And hopefully can be fitted instead of the s lock 1 !?

furby

Post by furby » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:12 am

Anyone recomend them for main use paddles opposed to spilt emergency spares?

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:58 am

I can't comment on the select paddles but the S lock 2 system looks very similar to the system that Vertical Element use on their splits and if it's as good then it's bomber.
I now use my VE splits as my main river blades with no issues what so ever. No movement in them at all.

wst2

Post by wst2 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:52 am

I have them as my main blade and its just like paddling a normal shaft. However if you do a lot of playboating then the water does slowly fill up the shaft but by the looks of it the s lock 2 looks like a much tighter fit!

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:29 am

The S-lock is great as long as you tighten the allen key enough. Rock solid and nothing to go wrong. They're nice paddles with a comfy crank grip (much nicer than Werner) and nice blades to use.

The blades break repeatedly, however. The spine over the foam core is way too weak and splits at the drop of a hat. I've had four breakages in just over a year of use (W1 blades). Can't really recommend Select for anything *other* than big water with no rocks.

Andy

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”