Anyone missing some boats?

Inland paddling
gp.girl

Anyone missing some boats?

Post by gp.girl »

3 or 4 kayaks on the hard shoulder of the M25 going anticlockwise before the M40 junction (I think) plus a Citreon C3 and the police :(

Ours definitely still attached we checked though the windscreen!
I can roll :)

EddR

Re: Anyone missing some boats?

Post by EddR »

They're friends of mine. The C3's roof rack came off coming back from Lee Valley. They recovered the boats and no one was hurt so everything was fine given the situation.

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

It may or may not be relevant in this case but I know I see lots of people double checking straps when they've put boats on but how many of you that leave your rack on for extended periods check the security of the rack to the car? My rack stayed on my last car a lot of the time and largely went unchecked. I went to take it off for some reason and all four fixings were actually pretty loose.
Like I say, may not be relevant here but please check yours soon.

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey »

Glad everybody is OK, and most importantly that the boats are OK!

Good point about checking your rack is secure regularly. Both of the more serious incidents I've heard of have involved the rack coming off the roof rather than the canoes/kayaks coming off the rack.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl »

Thought they might have been to Lee Valley, great that its all OK, could have been a very expensive afternoon.

Normally check the straps and see if you can wiggle the car using the kayak!

Have to confess we have got home once to find one of the straps wasn't done up very much at all......

Had to put a trailer + 10 kayaks (mostly not ours) back onto its wheels before now, misloading and overenthusiastic cornering are not good things.
I can roll :)

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

Many years ago Bristol Uni CC went into the Police station to report a lost C2, when asked where the boats were lost, the desk officer was surprised by the reply "Somewhere between here and the River Dart"

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

Sadly Citreon C3's do seem to have poor roof rack mounting, if the rack is under pressure downwards from the weight then they can pop out from the slots in the roof and the rack comes flying off with whatever is attached to it.

RichA

Post by RichA »

Chas C wrote:Sadly Citreon C3's do seem to have poor roof rack mounting, if the rack is under pressure downwards from the weight then they can pop out from the slots in the roof and the rack comes flying off with whatever is attached to it.
That's interesting. The only roofrack I've ever seen come off was also previously attached to a Citroen.

TonyM

Post by TonyM »

I know someone who was taking a brand new kayak home from the shop. On the M5 he lost the boat, roof rack and the roof rails. Nothing was found. That was Peugot 405. Is a pattern emerging here?

-Ginge-

Post by -Ginge- »

I once saw a Frenchmans hat blown off his head.

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

RichA wrote: Chas C wrote:Sadly Citreon C3's do seem to have poor roof rack mounting, if the rack is under pressure downwards from the weight then they can pop out from the slots in the roof and the rack comes flying off with whatever is attached to it.

That's interesting. The only roofrack I've ever seen come off was also previously attached to a Citroen.
One of the club members also lost his roof rack from a Citreon last week with 2 boats badly damaged. It seems the design of the mounting points is suspect.It was fitted per manufactures instructions and still came off and had been checked that day.I would be interested to know if these are isolated incidents or should users of the cars be more aware of the concerns.

Colin

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw »

The attachment for the rack on my berlingo is a big dodgy, doesn't come off providing I put it on in a certain way...
Ieuan :)

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl »

17'open boat on its side (and several kayaks), motorway speeds, sudden gust of cross wind. That's a big sail. Home-made roof rack (a mixture of steel and maple :-) using all the anchor points Subaru provide (Subaru racks only use 50% of them) so that's eight M6 bolts holding it to the car. Definitely solid enough to blow 1½ tons of car sideways into the next lane without any sign of the rack coming off. Must be good stuff. I got off the motorway at that point, though, even though it was quiet - an unplanned lane change is not really safe, but an open boat blowing onto the opposite carriageway would have been devastating, so check those anchor points !

Andy

RichA

Post by RichA »

Colin C wrote: One of the club members also lost his roof rack from a Citreon last week with 2 boats badly damaged. It seems the design of the mounting points is suspect.It was fitted per manufactures instructions and still came off and had been checked that day.I would be interested to know if these are isolated incidents or should users of the cars be more aware of the concerns.

Colin

I'd suggest you get on the phone to Citroen, and don't give up!

EddR

Post by EddR »

Another friend of mine took a Citroen Picasso out to the alps with a Citroen own brand roof rack that had to be made secure with Pizza boxes and Duct tape.

Not sure if there is a pattern here, there may be 100s out there with perfectly functioning Citroen cars and roof racks and we're all just talking about the rare cases where they do fail.

icklepaddler

Post by icklepaddler »

Given the potential strains, I far prefer roof rails for our sport.

But having seen some fail quite spectacularly, depositing boats onto the road whilst all still attached to bars and rails, I would suggest that Peugeot roof rails aren't the best. (Saying nothing about the rest of the car)

Worst I ever saw though was a roofrack on a three door mk1 focus. The ford system attached at the front door and then into the boot, but the non ford system this car had attached in the front door as ususal with the rear bar just braced off that one. I was truly horrified.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

A friend had a roofrack blow of his Berlingo a few years ago. It had been fitted by the dealer and he successfully managed to get compensation for the damage to the boat - it was a slalom boat. I can't remember if there was any other damage.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”