SD Card Recovery

Inland paddling
jamie conn

SD Card Recovery

Post by jamie conn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi all,

I have a 16gb card with video and photo files on, crashed in the camera (possibly when it was filled?) and now isn't being recognised. It also won't mount on my laptop (or others), have tried a few recovery programs but none recognise the card.

Is it a lost cause? Anyone got any bright ideas, hopefully without spending too much money?
Reward: first look at lots of cool shots of big waterfalls in Ethiopia!

Cheers,

Jamie

Jim

Re: SD Card Recovery

Post by Jim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:54 pm

Don't try an work on the card, you need to make an image of it first and work on the image. There are loads of tools for imaging disks (the card appears the same as a disk to the operating system) I tend to do it with low level linux/unix commands but I will never recommend that to anyone that doesn't know them already, better off using a tool with a GUI.

Try the tools from r-tt, I have had success with them before and you can download them for free to see if your data is recoverable but will probably need to buy a license to actually recover them unless they are very small. Use the drive image software first to image the card, then take it out and work on the image file in r-studio.

Having said that, their own guide to photo recovery uses the r-undelete tool instead;
http://www.r-undelete.com/File_Undelete ... _Recovery/

Read through a few times first, it can get a bit complicated.

benc

Post by benc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:07 am

Id go it what Jim said about creating an image of the card first. On linux you can use dd or ddrescure but only if you know what you're doing as its easy to delete the whole OS or card if you get it wrong.

There is a free program called photo rec that you can try. I have used it before and it does work well. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Also it may be worth trying to mount the card in a linux box. I've often had cards that would not mount in windows but have in linux.

jamie conn

Post by jamie conn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:53 am

Ok cheers, have now tried both programs. For both the card did not appear under the list of disks.
Am I doing something wrong?

Jamie

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:01 am

I've used a free prog called Recuva for use on Windows systems, available to download from here. (You don't need the support.) I had to look for it recently and it was recommended by various computer mag websites. Good luck getting your pics back.

garya

Post by garya » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:06 am

These guys are the best, we have used them a couple of times for commercial recovery when things seemed hopeless. its not cheap but if you are really stuck and the footage is valuable I would go to them.

http://www.krollontrack.co.uk/

Gary Archer

Green.media

Post by Green.media » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 am

For recovery I use mac with the disk utility window. Mildly modified via the terminal window so it shows everything directed with partitions. This is easily done and will show the card up regardless of what state its in.
If it doesnt show up after that you might want to look at your sd card reader...

Then either disk.image it mount thw disk image to a hard drive and run disk rec (mentioned above) or if the card seams stable just run diak rec direct.

Could try and find the same command chain for windows if you want.
If you get really stuck I can try and help when I'm back at work but as I'm mid way through moving house I have no real computers up and running for editing or recovery
If you have a spare memory stick you can copy a full disk image to from the root with any and all partitions I can try from that for you
(Back in work on the first)

RichA

Post by RichA » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:44 am

benc wrote:Also it may be worth trying to mount the card in a linux box. I've often had cards that would not mount in windows but have in linux.
If you don't have a Linux machine you can run a soft version of it, like Knoppix (burn to a CD and boot from that rather than Windows. You'll effectively have Linux running from the CD/USB stick). As benc said, that may be enough to view the files when they're not recognised in Windows (assuming that's what you're using).

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 am

I had the same problem a few years ago.
Here are the suggestions I was given, and the solution that worked in the end: http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 74#p598374

Good luck.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:30 am

In general I do think that with SD cards now being fairly cheap it is worth regarding them as use once and keep as a backup type devices rather than deleting them and using them over and over again. I know that does not help you now of course. I started using them as one shot only devices after nearly being unable to get at some photos on one we had reused several times, now we change them when nearly full for the first time.

If you have several different SD card readers you can try with the various utilities recommended that might help as I have noted occasionally that a card which will not work in one reader is OK in another.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:37 am

In windows (I use XP pro) under control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> storage management
Is the card showing as a drive at all there - possibly unformatted or unknown partition type.
I'm sure the tools are available on later versions too, possibly in different locations, you can put them on start menu in XP if you know how.

If it shows up one of the recovery tools should be able to access it in raw mode and recover data.

If it doesn't show up, then you have a bigger issue because the computer is apparantly unaware that there is even a drive connected.

Can you read other cards? If not card reader may be gubbed.

Does the card have physical damage, bent pins etc?

Has the card been used a lot? It isn't widely advertised, but flash memory (like SD cards) is only good for about 10000 re-writes.

jamie conn

Post by jamie conn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks again for help. Currently on a mac, but will have Windows 7 access next week so can try other things then.
Jim wrote:In windows (I use XP pro) under control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> storage management
Is the card showing as a drive at all there - possibly unformatted or unknown partition type.
I'm sure the tools are available on later versions too, possibly in different locations, you can put them on start menu in XP if you know how.

If it shows up one of the recovery tools should be able to access it in raw mode and recover data.

If it doesn't show up, then you have a bigger issue because the computer is apparantly unaware that there is even a drive connected.

Can you read other cards? If not card reader may be gubbed.

Does the card have physical damage, bent pins etc?

Has the card been used a lot? It isn't widely advertised, but flash memory (like SD cards) is only good for about 10000 re-writes.
As of yet, no program has registered the card at all, definitely not the card reader as tried on multiple computers before.
No physical damage that I can see, but the card failed in the camera halfway through taking video, could it still be hardware error?
It's Callum Strong's card but can't imagine it has been used that much.
garya wrote:I've used a free prog called Recuva for use on Windows systems, available to download from here. (You don't need the support.) I had to look for it recently and it was recommended by various computer mag websites. Good luck getting your pics back.
They quoted me £300!

Going to give Knoppix a try now...

RichA

Post by RichA » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:58 pm

jamie conn wrote: Going to give Knoppix a try now...

Good luck, and take your time with it!

Have you made an image first? You should be able to mount that in Knoppix (can't remember how, sorry) or copy it to another card and try reading that as normal.

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm

If the card is not being recognised at all, the chances are that a contact is broken or bent or something has gone terminally wrong electrically and you obviously aren't going to get a chance to use any software until whatever computer is seeing the card. Get a hand lens and look real close for hairline cracks or anything like that. If it's a full size SD, it shouldn't be too hard to see a problem. If it's a micro SD (as in a HeroHD 3), then maybe you are using an adapter in the computer and that is knackered ? Try connecting USB to the camera, or putting the micro SD in a mobile phone or similar that uses it directly. If you can see a bent or broken contact then at least you know what you are trying to fix... though it probably won't be easy.

If you get *anything* to recognise it, copy the whole disc *immediately* as there's a good chance that you won't get a second try... On linux, if fdisk -l shows the card, then

dd if=/dev/sdb of=card-image

noting that /dev/sdb (or whatever final letter you get) is the whole card - copy that rather than the fat partition /dev/sdb1 - you can always extract the partition later. If dd gives up with some sort of I/O error, then move to use ddrescue instead. This will skip over any data it can't read (substituting zeroes) and you can then try to repair *a further copy* of the image using fsck. You can also dredge the whole image for the characteristics of jpeg files and recover these individually if all else fails. The important thing is to get as much of the data as possible onto another medium and make multiple copies before trying to fix anything.

Good luck !

It does show the importance of dumping camera memory to the computer (and then copying to multiple backup discs) as soon and as often as possible, rather than waiting until a card gets full. I recommend one laptop and at least two external hard drives. Where possible the three should always travel in different vehicles or, if you're flying together as a group, in different people's baggage, one copy checked and one in hand baggage and any others wherever convenient. Then copy to multiple people's computers as soon as you're home. Keep copies of everything important in at least three separate buildings at all times !

Andy

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Recovering lost data is something I spend a lot of time messing about with(part of the job being an IT Techie).

If you want some one to look at it for free and try and recover the data for free you are more than welcome to send it to me in the post.

Before you ask why - The world is a better place if we help each other out :-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”