River Kent egress request

Inland paddling
box2k2

River Kent egress request

Post by box2k2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:51 am

Had a very nice conversation with a gentleman at the bottom of Force Falls this morning as we were doing a little "ahem" fishing of our own :)

Short version - apparently the fishing is best from force falls down stream, so he's asked if we could get out river right immediately after the falls. There's a car width ramp/path and everything. He said that if there are cars parked there, the gate will be unlocked (may be closed) and he would much prefer we used that rather than paddle through the best fishing spot.

Glyn B

Re: River Kent egress request

Post by Glyn B » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:18 pm

Interesting post in every respect! Last year I completely forgot that it was the last day of the fishing season and got a fair amount of Anglo Saxon hurled in my direction, hardly surprising under the circs but nonetheless it was nothing more dangerous than loud grumbling.
Later in the week I was chatting to a friend who's reputed to be one of the best fly fishermen in the area, his response was, 'I don't know why they bother, the fish ain't going to be biting when they're heading up there, they rest and feed in the pools below Force falls.'
He also said, ''I don't understand why there's any aggro the fish have got more sense than to be where you paddle anyway!'

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Done that before and been shouted at for trespassing etc! Can't win.

What time you on it this morning? It was pretty high (flowing over centre rock but not enough to paddle the boof) when I did it at 11, if you did it early doors it must of been fairly sporty ;-). Did Sprint first which was dropping.

callwild

Post by callwild » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Unfortunately we are in an awkward situation at this egress as there is no public access to either bank after Force falls.
The owners of the land bank left (edit, see below - I mean bank RIGHT) immediately after the falls do not seem to like people egressing and using their drive /path to the gate you describe and often shout at paddlers who land there or try & go back up the rocks to run the falls again.
For many years paddlers ran the short rapid after the pool and got out where a path runs up to the small parking area beyond the bridge. technically this is the start of the Leven's Hall estate, but it is miles from anyone likely to see you or complain.
The EA asked us not to paddle this rapid as it was a major spawning bed (In season) so they suggested to egress onto the base of the road bridge before the rapid. This however lands you on a island of concrete with private land either side of you and a public footpath 10` above your head. So once on the bridge base it is a question of which private land you are going to trespass on. Most I would say go back on the upstream side to get over the wall where they park their cars. I tend to go downstream to the path in Levens Hall Estate as I often park in this far carpark. Either way we have been suggesting people egress onto the bridge base and before the rapid for years and I would think this suits most fishermen as its part of the main pool.
Its a case of you can't please everybody.

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Lancs_lad wrote:What time you on it this morning? It was pretty high (flowing over centre rock but not enough to paddle the boof) when I did it at 11, if you did it early doors it must of been fairly sporty ;-). Did Sprint first which was dropping.
Same here, but earlier. We'd been after the Roeburn, but ended up on Sprint & Kent. Got on the Sprint @ 0715, and moved on to the Kent. Centre line at Force Falls did go, but we only managed a 50% success rate.

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:10 pm

box2k2 have you read the other recent thread about the Kent?

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:28 am

morsey wrote:box2k2 have you read the other recent thread about the Kent?
If you're referring to the recent incident with flat tyres then I am aware of it, or have I missed something?

morsey

Post by morsey » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:21 pm

That was the one.

Ian.Adey

Post by Ian.Adey » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:08 pm

So Lots of myths on here!!

The land river left, alongside and below Force Falls is owned by a private fishing syndicate, They often will tell you to get out upstream of the bridge on river right and walk up the track, this is however not owned by them and is private land.

This understandably, generally upsets the people who fish from this bank on there land.

The land under the main road bridge is not owned by them and is effectively under the same ownership as the road above, what most people don't know is this also apply's to a 2 meter strip of land either side of the bridge so the path that runs from under the bridge to the carpark has as much access to the public as the verge on the road above.

As for the put on at prizit / hawes bridge there are public footpath along both sides of the river up stream of the bridge, through the fishing club carpark on river left, ( even though it has been blocked by the gate and the sign removed)

The gentleman who often meets you at the put on, saying he owns the river, in fact is just on the committee for the fishing club that has the rights for the 100 meters down stream on the bridge.

So,

Please, use the foot path at the put in through the fishing car park and put on next to the stream, and politely but firmly tell the 'owner' of the river to have a nice day and that your getting on any way!

at the take out get out under the bridge and walk up the path to the foot path.

Having done my dissertation on the access on the Kent and interviewed / written to all the land owners the only real concerns form residents near force falls were totally understandable, - getting changed in view of the houses, and speeding down the lane where the children in the houses often play.

When I find them again I'll dig out the land ownership maps for the river!

Ian
Guiding and Coaching in the Lakes,UK & Europe

callwild

Post by callwild » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 am

The owners of the land bank left immediately after the falls do not seem to like people egressing and using their drive /path to the gate you describe and often shout at paddlers who land there or try & go back up the rocks to run the falls again.
I was actually meaning Bank RIGHT.

Think Ian has covered most things and backed up what i was trying to say.
i didn't know about the 2 metere strip of land either side of the bridge rule. However where does this 2m strip refer to?. 2m from the concrete base? 2m from the edge of the bridge railing? 2m from the road edge, 2m from the footpath? as in reality the path people carry back up to the car park must be far more than 2 metres from the bridge.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:43 am

I'm not sure the 2m strip is a rule. It sounds as if Ian is saying it applies to this bridge but it does not necessarily apply to all bridges. Highways authorities have the right to claim access to any land for the purposes of maintenance of structures like bridges. Our club owns the freehold to the land under the grade 1 listed suspension bridge and the highways authority could serve us a notice and probably even demolish our clubhouse if they needed to; they just need to reinstate on completion and make due recompense.

morsey

Post by morsey » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:03 am

Paddled the Kent on Monday. Got out under the main road bridge. The only angler we saw was upstream of force falls!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”