GoPro helmet mount advice

Inland paddling
smidgy

GoPro helmet mount advice

Post by smidgy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:02 pm

I just bought myself a new GoPro and i'm looking for the best way to attach it to my helmet. I've seen a lot of people mount it to the top of the helmet with just an adhesive mount but i know that it is then more exposed to knocks when paddling or rolling.I really like the idea of the specific helmet mount as it puts it in a safer position and allows it to be turned back to point at my face. The thing is the helmet i have is the protec two face helmet, witch has a small peak. has anyone used a helmet mount on there kayaking helmet and if so dose their helmet has a peak like mine n how did it go?

I've added photos of my helmet and how the GoPro helmet mount is usually used. what advice do you have for me?

Thanks guys
Andrew

damppaddler

Re: GoPro helmet mount advice

Post by damppaddler » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Adding a gopro will effect the balance of the helmet

I have mounted mine slight front of Center on the top and it does pull the front of the helmet down (especially when I mount 2 gopros in the 3d case) - I would expect mounting a gopro directly on the front might make it uncomfortable

ol

Post by ol » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:24 pm

That mount is still an adhesive mount. It's a pretty standard mount but you use the various arms and elbows available to achieve the angle you want. You could still mount it how you want with a peak but you would need to use a couple off extension sections.

It can always get knocked off, it's a risk you have to take really but you can attach a small lanyard from the camera to your helmet strap in case it does get knocked off. They're pretty solid though.

Unsponsored

Post by Unsponsored » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Just make sure that the mount sticky pad is warm when you put it in place and keep pressure on it so it get a firm hold. I have seen folk put the mount just above the peak on the Protec lids.

Loads of GoPro/Kayak stuff here -

http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/?cat=27

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:33 am

After having mine knocked off at Lee Valley, I'm looking at getting one of these....
Has anyone used them with a Sweet Rocker with the visor attached?
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

garya

Post by garya » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:09 am

What about someone designing a mount that utilised the existing visor mounting screws and holes located on the sweet rocker helmet. Might make an interesting project for an engineering student somewhere.

Its a shame the helmet manufacturers cant come up with a universal mount and incorporate into the helmet design like the NVG mounting plates on most other helmets.

Gary A

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Adding a gopro will effect the balance of the helmet
Easy - add two for balance !

Hero3 on the front (with extra battery pack) and legacy Hero2 on the back.

But just the one on the front doesn't make a lot of difference - as a caver I carried a heavy carbide lamp on the front of my helmet for years - you get used to it very quickly and as long as the cradle is adjusted correctly, the helmet isn't going to fall in front of your eyes...

The self-adhesive mounts are a bit flaky, though, especially if your helmet has the wrong curve or is at all scratched. Mine are solid wood M6-bolted through the plastic. Haven't had the nerve to do that with a new and/or expensive helmet though :-)

Andy

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”