Advice on a full face helmet

Inland paddling
ajm

Advice on a full face helmet

Post by ajm »

I'm off to paddle Wet West this year and I'm considering investing in a full face helmet. I tried two on at the Tees Barrage for about a minute last week and I preferred the placement of the WRSI jaw protector for the front of the face. Other than that I have very little to go on. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Shred Ready full face: http://www.nswatersports.co.uk/safety-r ... elmet-p863

WRSI full face: http://www.nswatersports.co.uk/safety-r ... lmet-p1457

morsey

Re: Advice on a full face helmet

Post by morsey »

Also try on the Sweet FF if you can. Then pick the one that fits best, feels best, and gives 'you' best vision, and is affordable to you.

If you want to assess the protection factor (from a very basic general consensus & material observation).

1: Sweet. Best rated shell material and best rated Foam.
2: Shred Ready. Shell material not rated as good as Sweet and best rated Foam.
3: WRSi. Shell not rated as good as Sweet and Foam not rated as good as Sweet.

Coverage, vision, shape and fit; they are all different, which is good as it offers choice. Heads are different shapes so even the 'best' helmet is no good if the fit is wrong.

They all pass the industry standard, but there is no rating system to quantify the differences above and beyond the standard test. They all have users that rate the helmets, the companies have good reputations for producing quality products.

End of the day it's quite a personal choice.

ajm

Post by ajm »

morsey wrote:Also try on the Sweet FF if you can.
I asked the salesman in the shop about the Sweet full face. He said in theory they could get them but they were £300, so no! To be honest I'm glad I can't try one on. For my first helmet I was going to buy a Shred Ready, but a friend urged me to try on the Strutter. I was instantly converted because of comfort and fit. And then I was poor.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

Poke

Post by Poke »

FNA also do a reasonably priced full facer, with a custom choice of colours!
http://www.fnaheadgear.com/
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Yew

Post by Yew »

Sometimes Sweet full facers come up on Sport Pursuit for around £150..

sprintpaddler

Post by sprintpaddler »

While I`d agree the benefits of wearing a ff helmet outweigh the negatives, I`d consider those negatives, one of which I`ve encountered since purchasing a Sweet ff. Firstly for me ( not all of course ) the claustrophobic environment these helmets impart compared to a regular one. This is a strong sense which I hope to overcome, but one to think about before buying. You`ll also have communication difficulties to contend with....making yourself heard is harder, & although I have a full cut Rocker, hearing doesn`t seem so pronounced either. There is also the entrapment issue with a ff. I`ve heard they`ve been responsible for at least one hanging underwater. I can`t verify this, but can imagine the scenario of the protruding chin guard either getting wedged, or a branch pushing it`s way through & causing problems.
I`m not trying to put you of a ff at all, far from it, since the one huge factor in their favour is the protection of the jaw bone, which needs only a small impact in some to bring on unconsciousness. For this reason alone I`d condone they`re use even on grade 2-3, which I think perhaps many would disagree with. I`d also speculate that having a chin guard adds to the overall integrity of the shell.
Good luck with your choice of ff, I can recommend the Sweet example, but haven`t tried the others.

morsey

Post by morsey »

Yew wrote:Sometimes Sweet full facers come up on Sport Pursuit for around £150..
They come up on the Sweet website, from time to time, around that price as well.

Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

The Sweet one really is the dog's IMO. I was all about the Shred Ready until I tried one on, and realised I want my full face for the best protection I can have for risky things, so why downgrade.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”