Glue for foam padding in kayak

Inland paddling
ajm

Glue for foam padding in kayak

Post by ajm »

I've taken the padding out of my Freeride and am replacing it with cut pieces of a camping sleeping mat. I'll probably stick the original pads back on on top.

What sort of glue is best to use for sticking the sleeping mat together and then onto the boat? Also the cone of comfort in the Freeride wiggles about a bit, I'll probably stick that down too.

Betty

Re: Glue for foam padding in kayak

Post by Betty »

I use Thixofix contact adhesive and it keeps stuff stuck in boats for years. It is best to use it in hot, dry weather. I stick the foam in, then use gaffa tape to hold it in place/act as a back up. It is a good idea to test it on a small part of the boat & the foam first to make sure no weird reactions happen. I have never heard of anything weird happening with Thixofix. However, I know a bloke who nearly melted the bottom out of his open boat when he was trying to glue carry mat in to it. The boat was never the same.

Strad

Post by Strad »

I still tend to use old school evostick contact adhesive.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

ajm

Post by ajm »

Thanks, both of you.

Couldn't find either at B&Q so went for No-Nonsense Contact Adhesive. The foam has adhered very well together and to the boat. Here's hoping it stays on! :)

Junior

Post by Junior »

kayak1

Post by kayak1 »

I use carpet spray glue from B and Q, brilliant stuff...if used like a contact glue.....and dries clear

RichA

Post by RichA »

kayak1 wrote:I use carpet spray glue from B and Q, brilliant stuff...if used like a contact glue.....and dries clear

Same here. It's contact adhesive in spray form and works fine. Just make sure you clean the nozzle (spray it upside down until only aerosol comes out, no glue) once you've finished with it, otherwise it'll block up for next time.

ajm

Post by ajm »

RichA wrote:Same here. It's contact adhesive in spray form and works fine. Just make sure you clean the nozzle (spray it upside down until only aerosol comes out, no glue) once you've finished with it, otherwise it'll block up for next time.
Spray might be easier than pasting the glue in, especially as when I was in the bow of the kayak I was getting very light headed!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”