Slippery paddle shafts

Inland paddling
AlexN

Slippery paddle shafts

Post by AlexN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Some paddle shafts have a slippery, gloss finish. It seems most common in carbon shafts. Is there any reason not to sand off the gloss finish? If anyone has done this does it work to make it less slippery?

Betty

Re: Slippery paddle shafts

Post by Betty » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:33 pm

You could sand it, and it would make it less slippery. Or you could use surf wax. The tropical sort is more grippy than the cold water sort which can be quite squidgy.

Gareth dj

Post by Gareth dj » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:49 pm

The solution is either

a. Wax, which makes a mess - in your car when it gets hot and melts ( which it will, quite easily ) or.

B. Mud, grab a hand full of silt from the river, and rub onto your paddle shaft. Make it part of your getting in routine. In effect you are sanding the paddle, but you are not going to go mad and completely remove the surface.

AlexN

Post by AlexN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:01 pm

I don't like the mess that wax makes. Is there any reason not to sand it and will it work to make it grippy?

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:09 pm

I have the very same problem with my VE paddle, wax is good but wears off too quick, was thinking about a fabric tape maybe? I have an H2O which is perfect grips but blades not good enough in bigger water.
Mark

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I found the VEs to be good for grip, but then I like to hold my shaft with a light touch :) ...but my bud uses ice hockey grip tape on his ATs and it's stayed on for at least 2 hard seasons with his manly Russian shaft-gripping. Have to say his shaft feels good too, if your delicate palms can stand the abrasion.
dave

Sam E

Post by Sam E » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:33 pm

I put electrical tape on my shaft where I hold it. Lasts surprisingly well and is cheap!
See you on the water

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 pm

I use surfers wax.
Works well, cheap, smells nice.
Never had a problem with it melting.
At £2 from the local surf shop its cheap enough to try and easy to reemove if you don't like it.
Tried the mud or sand method and that never really worked for me.

hardy

Post by hardy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Alex , get a proper job , and your hands will be like sandpaper . ;-)

morsey

Post by morsey » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Gloss shouldn't make the paddle shaft slippery, Clean your paddle with degreaser and it'll stay grippy.

AlexN

Post by AlexN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi Hardy. Yeah, maybe my hands are just too soft.

Morsey, why would a degreaser help for a new paddle?

morsey

Post by morsey » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:47 pm

The gloss shouldn't be slippery. . Sweaty greasy hands (it happens when you paddle even if your hands are clean to start with) will make the paddle slippery and so cleaning it from time to time when you feel it get slippery will help. With the current temps and in swimming pools it's not beyond imagination to think hands might be sweaty before paddling and so rubbing sand on your hands (or washing with soap) and then washing it off will help to remove grease from the hands and not transfer it to your paddles. Sanding the paddles is not a good idea, they could delaminate or you could get splinters and carbon/glass splinters hurt like all manner of Beelzebub! When I say grease, I'm not talking the thick mechanical grease for cars and what not, but body grease. (The stuff that forms one of the layers in a swimming pool (It's not all water!)).

EDIT: If I play polo indoors, I wash my hands with soap between games, makes a difference to grip.
Last edited by morsey on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hardy

Post by hardy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:52 pm

Morsey's right . I wouldn't sand the shafts or detract from the process that manufactured them in any way . I don't get on with the wax , but yes , a good cleaning can only be good . That is pretty much what i do without even thinking about it .

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 am

I sanded a shaft once and it caused it to become porous. I was disappointed to find the outer resin layer was so thin as to make this a problem, I had done this with previous shafts, but the manufacturer took little responsibility for the problem. I tried surf wax but it a used my hands to blister. I find a handful of sand rubbed into the shaft and hands removes any grease quite effectively so that's all I do now.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:42 am

I give mine a very slight sanding with fine wet and dry to get rid of the gloss - if it's a carbon/epoxy shaft there will be a waxy surface layer which you can afford to cut into to get grip, but as Dave says, be careful, the higher quality the laminate, the thinner the resin will be (for pedants, I am assuming the fibre is fully wet out).

Something that mystifies me, is when glossy heat shrink is used on the grips when other manufacturers, or cheaper paddles in the same range have matt finish heat shrink, again careful sanding works for that too.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:54 am

There's no reason why it can't be sanded - use fine grade, wet and dry carbide paper, used wet, where your hands go. Problem solved on all my Lendal sea paddles, and a Robson w/water paddle. Mike.

Rapid Kayaks

Post by Rapid Kayaks » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:21 pm

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 pm

A mate of mine uses climbing tape that goes around fingers, I had a look at his paddle yesterday and will give it a go.

mountain_bikerider

Post by mountain_bikerider » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 pm

I sanded my VE white glass shaft with some fine sandpaper and its much better for grip. So much so that Stu sanded the carbon shaft on my new crank before sending it out to me to assist with grip without having to resort to wax or paddle grip tape that all goes sticky and messy after a while.

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:16 pm

There is a rather simple and obvious solution to this: don't buy paddles that have a slippery shaft!! Try them out before buying!!

ajm

Post by ajm » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:51 pm

By chance I read this post today by Michele Ramazza:

http://www.micheleramazza.com/en/how-to ... -the-shaft

He uses car body wax attached to your paddle shaft to take an imprint of your grip.

kayakrambo

Post by kayakrambo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Bit of mud/grit/sand what ever the river bed does good for me as it also cleans my hands of any moisturiser or hair wax.............I mean oil from my car, that I just fixed!!

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:21 am

I used climbing tape at the weekend and it worked a treat at 1st, only problem is its extremely abrasive and ripped my thumbs apart after a day and half so took it off and went back to paddle wax, that was a lot better but wears off quite quick.

mantamx

Post by mantamx » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:30 am

DaveBland wrote:I found the VEs to be good for grip, but then I like to hold my shaft with a light touch :) ...but my bud uses ice hockey grip tape on his ATs and it's stayed on for at least 2 hard seasons with his manly Russian shaft-gripping. Have to say his shaft feels good too, if your delicate palms can stand the abrasion.
suppose grip tape sold in most sport shops for tennis rackets (£10ish) should be quite good for the job too (and is easier to get)...
but i'd just sand it - according to VE, top layer lacquer is just cosmetic (VE does not use it themselves btw - but the paint on 'white' shafts used to be a bit slippery - i believe stu changed the solution so mine were not, and non-painted shafts are pretty grippy imo)
having bent shafts also helps btw.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:35 pm

mantamx wrote:...suppose grip tape sold in most sport shops for tennis rackets (£10ish) should be quite good for the job too...
I think the thing about ice hockey tape is that it's designed for cold, wet use and is super grippy. Some of the other types will be a bit less durable in paddling conditions.
dave

ShaneOHara

Post by ShaneOHara » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:55 pm

DaveBland wrote:
mantamx wrote:...suppose grip tape sold in most sport shops for tennis rackets (£10ish) should be quite good for the job too...
I think the thing about ice hockey tape is that it's designed for cold, wet use and is super grippy. Some of the other types will be a bit less durable in paddling conditions.
Won't ice hockey tape be like rockin' horse sh!t over here, it's not the 1# sport in the UK you know?

I use surf wax, it gets everywhere, but I'm so obsessive about hand grip I can't leave without it, an alternative cleaner option would be great!

I thought about rubber sleeves you heat shrink over electric connections, but you wouldn't them over the blade, what about hairspray (putting aside any negative connation's)?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:03 pm

ShaneOHara wrote:
DaveBland wrote:
Won't ice hockey tape be like rockin' horse sh!t over here, it's not the 1# sport in the UK you know?

I use surf wax, it gets everywhere, but I'm so obsessive about hand grip I can't leave without it, an alternative cleaner option would be great!

I thought about rubber sleeves you heat shrink over electric connections, but you wouldn't them over the blade, what about hairspray (putting aside any negative connation's)?
Nottingham has a team [Panthers], so there must be a league and stuff. But, yes, probably more common over here for sure!
dave

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Amazon - search time 0.06sec

ShaneOHara

Post by ShaneOHara » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:Amazon - search time 0.06sec

Wow, can you find me a dishwasher to fit 87*57*55cm (H*W*D) in 0.06sec?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:Amazon - search time 0.06sec

As ever Adrian, you are too generous with your time.
dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”