Good tent for kayaking?

Inland paddling
ajm

Good tent for kayaking?

Post by ajm »

Just to set the scene, I know bugger all about tents!

Ideally I'd like a tent that could sleep two people and be able to fit all our paddling gear in (everything minus the boat and paddles). Somewhere to sit if it's raining in the evening/night would be handy too.

Any recommendations on brand/price/size? I'd rather pay more for something that was durable or easy to assemble (up to a point!).

Tony Aiuto

Re: Good tent for kayaking?

Post by Tony Aiuto »

Buy a good quality Tarp, so much more versatile than a tent, smaller and cheaper too!
Tony Aiuto

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

You have to take into account the weather you are expecting to be camping in, and how exposed you expect your campsite to be. If you are expecting to be wild camping in the wilderness you really need an expedition type tent, as these are better able to withstand bad weather. However by their nature they are smaller. You could go for comfort and get a four man tent, but it will take considerably longer to erect and won't be as good for bad weather. It sounds like you want something like the Vango Beta 350XL. It is designed for three persons, which means you can sleep two in comfort with some space inside the bedroom for dry clothes etc, and it has a large porch which is high enough to sit in fairly comfortably and still leave room for storing your kayaking gear. Being a Vango it is reasonable well designed, and should be of reasonable quality without being too expensive. If you get caught in a gale it will get battered, the poles will flex and it won't be a great night, but it should survive.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

A tent and a big tarp is the ideal combination especially in winter - I use a North Face Big Fat Frog tent which has a huge porch for kit and an MSR Zing Shelter for sitting out at night etc. You could just use the tarp in summer but if you intend winter camping then its got to be a tent for me. I camped out a lot last winter and the tarp made the difference between spending most of the time in a tent and being able to sit out with a fire. However this summer I've just used a tent as the tarp just provides the perfect conditions for midges to hide under!
Mal

Jim

Post by Jim »

You haven't specified if you will be carrying the tent in the car and using it at proper campsites on paddling holidays, or trying to carry it in the kayak(s) camping as your go. The size of tent you are prepared to live in when you have to carry it is much smaller than you will be prepared to live in out of the back of the car, although for sea kayaking I do tend to go for the upper end of the former so it works at the lower end of the latter - sometimes i wish I had a tent I could stand up in though!

garya

Post by garya »

Look at free standing with a dome design. These work well on beaches or rocky ground where it can be difficult to get pegs in for guy lines. I have always preferred Vango tents as it is so easy to get spares most places if needed.

Gortex bivi bags also work well. you can get some that have a zip in midge net. They are very light pack down to nothing and combined with a tarp will see you through most conditions.

Gary A

Poke

Post by Poke »

If you want a tent you can carry in your boat and use on multiday type trips, get the smallest, lightest thing you can, and sack off the idea of fitting wet kit in it.

If you want something for car camping, weight isn't an issue, and you can probably get away with something reasonably cheap. Tunnel design tents are pretty good in terms of having a good amount of space to put kit and it not get in the way.

If you want something for that'll do both, buy an expensive lightweight one for the multidays, and a cheapo one for car camping. I made this mistake and ended up with a large expensive lightweight tent that I could fit all my kit in, but it's still too big to practically take on multiday trips.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

I would buy a cheap tent and go camping for a few days so you can see what you want from a tent and then look at buying a decent one.
Mal

Jim

Post by Jim »

I hate the idea, but I use a pop up tent from Lomo or Decathlon on the beach when I'm kite buggying (somewhere to stash spare kites and butties in case it rains), totally impossible to kayak with since it folds down to an 18" diameter disc but fine for car camping and stuff. I find it so essential to have on the beach that I am on my second (hence naming 2 suppliers) having eventually destroyed the first.
I have much more expensive tents that I normally use to sleep in since the pop up is always full of sand, it does come in useful though, many nights spent in the sand yacht club car park in the pop up - no pegs required, pop it up at bedtime and get in! Always pitches itself no matter how many I've had! Any time we use a campsite, I take 2 tents away!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

If you are multi-day boat camping, use a goretex bivvy bag for minimum weight. If you are doing anything else, sleep in ya car. If you are going on a non-paddling trip with the family, get a 2/3 man tent for them and sleep in the car yourself [with the beer.
dave

The Portage King

Post by The Portage King »

Vango Omega 250.

Can't go wrong with Vango for price v quality. At £175, it will be 10 times better thsn a cheapo tent for £50.

Two mates used one for years as a surf tent, camping on beaches and headlands and it never put a foot wrong

Buy a 300 if you need more space

hardy

Post by hardy »

My mate let me borrow his pop up tent for a wet Norway last year. On my return one evening after heavy rain ,the puddle in the top was nearly big enough for a small playboat , but i couldn't say catagorically that it was a good tent for kayaking ;-)

R3V

Post by R3V »

As pr previous posts You need to decide what you are using it for and also hopw important standing room is (not an option if planning on taking it in a kayak).
My experience with my girls and car camping is that being able to stand to do there hair is important.
So deciede who will use it and what its for and go from there. FIW I use 2 tents a small 2man onmy own or with if packing it in a kayak, hiking,climbing or wild camping or a larger one if the children are with me or staying on a recognised site.

ajm

Post by ajm »

Too many to thank individually - so thank you everyone! Some excellent suggestions.

I'd probably be carrying this in a car as I've not yet done any touring-type paddling. Ideally it should be suitable for all weather conditions and be durable enough to be used in random locations!

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

If it does not need to go in a kayak then think big - for car camping I have a large Coleman with standing room throughout and plenty of room for kit. Go to Go Outdoors they have loads of big tents set up and always have sales on. Get one with a sewn in ground sheet though.
Mal

Jim

Post by Jim »

hardy wrote:My mate let me borrow his pop up tent for a wet Norway last year. On my return one evening after heavy rain ,the puddle in the top was nearly big enough for a small playboat , but I couldn't say catagorically that it was a good tent for kayaking ;-)
I wouldn't suggest they are much good in real weather! You can pay more for a twin skin one (actually my current one is), the main thing though is that they are pretty cheap and by using one for a bit you will get more idea what you would like from a tent.
I actually disapprove of the 'disposable' camping mentality they support, but if used considerately they can be acceptable :-)
I know one guy who drives a camper, he carries his gear in it and then puts it in a pop up tent to make room to sleep in the van!

chriscw

Post by chriscw »

If car camping and if weight, bulk and price are not major issues go for a traditional canvas patrol tent. Quicker to pitch, more rugged, more weather proof and much better all round than Hike tents or frame tents.

If not then go for a good quality lightweight tent which like the vango near the top of the thread can have its outer pitched first. If on an exposed sited try to support the guy ropes with forked sticks once you have done all the other obvious things like checking prevailing and current wind direction looking for a sheltered pitch and putting the tent the right way round so the door you intend using is not facing in to the wind.

If you are only fair weather camping in the summer then as long as nothing unforeseen happens any old thing will do!
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Slime

Post by Slime »

You did say kayaking, and this is the inland forum. So I guess that probably means you are car camping and arriving at the put in or some wet soggy campsite at about midnight on a cold dark October Friday night having had one or two drinks in the pub. Its obviously lashing down with rain.

For this, one of the new breed of second generation self erecting tents is my suggestion - with a built in porch so you have instant weather protection. You can throw it up and throw your gear in less time than it takes to put your waterproofs on. I recommend the Quechua 2 second plus. Bought one two years ago - a brilliant bit of engineering, totally weather proof and great value at around £70. Also good entertainment for your mates when you are trying to fold it up on Sunday morning!

Happy camping!

Jim

Post by Jim »

Slime - I'm pretty sure it's Quecha who do a docking station kind of thing, like a big party tent (not sure if it pops up or needs more pitching) which you can dock several of the smaller pop up tents with to use as sleeping compartments. Useful if several of you have the same kind of tent and often go away together, maybe useful if car camping with clients, to have the ability to put the night's accommodation up in a couple of minutes!

Tea Boy Tom

Post by Tea Boy Tom »

I probably wouldn´t use a tent for kayaking. Most of them look like they´d crumple at the first decent wave...

I´ll get me coat...

morsey

Post by morsey »

Problem with many pop up's is the single skin design aspect means condensation on a high scale!

Philip lowers

Post by Philip lowers »

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

Unfortunately light weight also usually means high cost!
Mal

Llhado

Post by Llhado »

I'm sorry the guys that raised the dead from the dead old topic, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, perhaps someone will need this information in the future
Tentipi, mine is the 5, about under 10kg, sleeps two in camp beds plus room for four inside in chairs warm in cold weather (small open fire) cool in hot weather (roof vent) room to stand.
Stable as anything withstands all weathers, easy to pitch a single hand.
I was concerned about pitching on rough ground but as you can see here it is on a boulder beach. I buried the pegs, no problems.

Downside..expensive. £1000+ you can get the odd second-hand one as we did.
Also I would like to nominate a Vango Omega 350 https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-frame-tent/ which is a palatial one man, superb 2 man and a snug 3 man or 2+2 kids It is a little bulky at 5.5kg and 48x19cm but IMO worth the space. It can stand up to some serious weather, high winds and snow/streams under the ground sheet. Still available at £225 or the smaller 250 version at £190 (manufacturer prices, ebay or shops are about -£80) It's sister tent the Equinox is a little better spec'ed although now out of production but still available 2nd hand. I think Vango have up-spec'ed the Omega so the Equinox was removed from the range.

So what's good about it? Can stand up to some really bad weather, good build quality, midgie netting! Nice big and separate porch that you can cook in (if you are careful with the heat and ventilation) and you can store all your gear in. And it's pretty good value for money. IMO a great canoe tent, weatherproof, roomy and secure.
Yesterday I found a very interesting video on this topic on Youtube, I think someone can come in handy. I hope this helps with the choice.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”