kayaking and football

Inland paddling
Tim K

kayaking and football

Post by Tim K » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:01 am

This is purely an observation. It appears to me that most of the people attracted to the wonderful world of kayak have no interest in football. Conversation on the way to a river never turns to the topic of the so called beautiful game. This got me thinking. Are we a different breed? Are we homosuperior? Ive come to the conclusion that we are. Footballs crap.

NathanE

Re: kayaking and football

Post by NathanE » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 am

That's because clearly kicking an inflated pig's bladder round a field randomly for 90 minutes in the winter with a pretty good chance of getting cold and wet is a totally pointless exercise.

Whereas of course bobbing down a river in a large piece of tupperware so that you can drive back up to the top to pick up the car you left at the get in is a noble calling er . . . . .

I'll get my coat.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:51 am

My theory is that football appeals to people who mostly like to watch sport whereas paddling appeals to those who mostly like to do sport.
Plus paddling is the sport of kings (and queens) while football is for chavs and thickos :-)
Giles

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:50 am

Randy Fandango wrote: Plus paddling is the sport of kings (and queens) while football is for chavs and thickos :-)
Giles
So on that basis I'm somewhere in between a King and a chav / thicko then :-)

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:43 am

Chas C wrote:
Randy Fandango wrote: Plus paddling is the sport of kings (and queens) while football is for chavs and thickos :-)
Giles
So on that basis I'm somewhere in between a King and a chav / thicko then :-)
Aren't we all? :-)
Giles

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:55 am

Richard Fox could have been a professional footballer, but chose Canoe Slalom instead.

And I know quite a few kayakers who are avid football supporters, though I would agree that you get less football conversations than you do down the pub or at work.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:58 am

He he he... That's what I like about kayakers.

If we ever talk about a non-paddlnig related sport it is never football. Rugby does come up from time to time thought :-)

nutterboy

Post by nutterboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:47 am

NathanE wrote:That's because clearly kicking an inflated pig's bladder round a field randomly for 90 minutes in the winter with a pretty good chance of getting cold and wet is a totally pointless exercise.

Whereas of course bobbing down a river in a large piece of tupperware with a pretty good chance of getting cold and wet so that you can drive back up to the top to pick up the car you left at the get in is a noble calling er . . . . .

I'll get my coat.
There. Fixed that for you ;)

I'd also like to add that I'm not a fan of football

David
temperature is a state of mind

Strad

Post by Strad » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:16 am

Not a big football fan either, the game itself is ok, kind of fun to play (although I prefer many other sports more), but I get massively put off, by the players, the fans, the ridiculous waste of money, how over-hyped it is and how much airplay it gets on the goggle box, the hypocrisy that exists with football etc etc. (For example on the local common there are football pitches, venture near with a dog and they will scream at you (even though as a responsible owner I clean up after the dog), 2 hours later when they've finished the match the area is covered with litter, including beer cans, barbeques and who knows what else which is regularly left for others to clean.

Kayakers, however are in general, friendly, less self obsessed, more environmentally conscious, doers rather than watchers, and not hung up on a whole host of political and monetary hooks. I would also argue generally more intelligent, but then I am a kayaker :-).
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Shufflerschair

Post by Shufflerschair » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Possibly because all the paddlerats who hang out in Wales, the Lakes and Scotland don't have the option to watch quality teams.

Whereas, us who do our paddling around Manchester........
Especially Old Trafford!

Harry123

Post by Harry123 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:34 pm

Shufflerschair wrote:Possibly because all the paddlerats who hang out in Wales, the Lakes and Scotland don't have the option to watch quality teams.

Whereas, us who do our paddling around Manchester........
Especially Old Trafford!
I'm no expert on this topic (or much else..) so I just put "Especially Old Trafford" into google image search then (to make it fair-ish) I tried "Especially Old Whitewater kayaking", finally I searched "whitewater kayaking". It didn't take me long to decide what I'd rather do with my time........

My summary of the selection of images is:
1. Not very interesting
2. Much more interesting
3. Two girls in bikinis sort of distracted me but in my peripheral vision the images were interesting

Does this count as a scientific investigation?
Harry

Betty

Post by Betty » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:46 pm

I think there is a direct correlation between lack of interest in football amongst paddlers ... and the fact that all the best paddling areas don't have enough flat ground to waste it on making football pitches.

hardy

Post by hardy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Haha...interesting thoughts . I've thought about this myself for some time .

Played footie years ago as a kid , then got fed up with not being as good as the other kids , so went back to climbing trees and chatting up the girls ! Bit of boxing and ice hockey....

Bruce Lee hit the world , and at 15 i took up karate . Did pretty good , but got fed up of sterile sports centers , and the pressure was getting heavy . Kept fit alone kicking the shit out of parkland trees and such whilst out running .

Judo was ok but same old thing .Not what i was looking for .

Started footie again aged 32 , not having played for literally 20 years. I was the unofficial "Entertainments Officer" being that bad.
Eventually got into a local 5-a-side set up , played every Friday night , and got plastered afterwards , went on for about 15 years or more . I gave up reluctantly as getting hammered the evening before a tasty paddle caught me out a couple of times .

Kayaking was something i had always wanted as a kid , but was for the more priveliged people ; Things were pretty dire where we were , hence the football , which was why it was thought of as a poor mans' sport.

Anyway , on a whim , fed up with both my girls and wife riding horses all weekend , i bought a boat , and here i am 10 years later .

But : White water boating is not a sport in my opinion . It is working with ,enjoying and testing one'self against nature , like climbing trees.

I was still interested in football until a few years ago , and now am sick of premiership stuff for reasons mentioned above , so don't talk about it or even consider it .

Few boaters talk about it in my experience to . However......my first impressions of kayakers were that they seemed frightened of their own shadow , and seemed to like not to get to deep into any given topic . Many of the guys i first met are still like that,
and i believe it is a class issue . I am working class ( i expect you clever people cottoned onto that ) , and still find many many boaters a bit "stiff" ( nice but stiff ) . A few years ago i met a bunch of different boaters , some more like me , a lot just younger and open-minded . These are the guys i paddle with now , and i am having the time of my life ( outside family ! ).

So yea....boaters don't do football ( mostly ) . I know it's a bit of fun here , but don't get caught up with intellectualising us . I have met clever interesting guys washing pots in hotel dungeons .

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:51 pm

Never seen the point in football, or Rugby (or most other sports for that matter). I've lived on Teesside for more than 40 years now, and can honestly say that I couldn't name a single member of Middlesbrough football team. My brother is a season ticket holder, but he's never paddled or climbed like me.

It has always puzzled me why people ask why I climbed, (occasionally) caved, and paddled, yet the question 'why do people play football? ' is never asked!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:25 am

Hands up. I love footie*. But i live for paddling.

Noone can afford to do both properly money or timewise as both take up chunks of spare cash and weekends.
That religates footie to watching recordings on telly - making it not a sport, but an entertainment choice.
Paddling isn't a sport either, but a life choice.
So both mutually exclusive in my mind.

* by footie i mean a Villa fan so arguably not footie at all.
dave

buck197

Post by buck197 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:56 am

I love my footy and my kayaking but agree it rarely comes up in conversation with paddlers. Does paddling attract sporting people who are not good at ball games??? Or are not overly competitive?
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:26 am

buck197 wrote:Does paddling attract sporting people who are not good at ball games???
In my experience people I know who are 'into' football are rarely good at ball games either -- hence my point about people who like football like watching sport rather than taking part.
Giles

Michael.J.H

Post by Michael.J.H » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:54 am

Giles
William prince of wales (the future king) is an avid football fan.
Mike H ( raised in a council house, two sisters are single parents, one brother has drug convictions and I had a proper crap education) loves paddling.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:58 am

Michael.J.H wrote:
Giles
William prince of wales (the future king) is an avid football fan.
Mike H ( raised in a council house, two sisters are single parents, one brother has drug convictions and I had a proper crap education) loves paddling.
Aah yes -- the exceptions that prove the rule then :-)
Giles

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:44 am

I don't hate football itself, just everything that goes with it, the kicking the ball about is fun enough but all the yapping about the over paid etc etc etc etc gets on my wick, my teams better than your teams just stupid, it all comes down to who's got the richest sheikh or media mogul plowing cash into buying said over paid etc etc etc etc in the first place.
But most of my gripes with the game is the way the players behave on the pitch (off the pitch I couldn't give a monkeys, oddly enough I've frequented enough trendy london bars full of moronic footballers and ladies with no shame till the morning not to care), if you back chat the ref or get in his face it should be a straight red, same for diving. If you roll around the floor until the fouls been called then make a miraculous recovery, red card. The list goes on..

And besides, rugby is better, especially league (this from a southerner).

PS I've no problem with crowd violence, but it should have its own section away from the families..
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 am

Sickboy wrote:And besides, rugby is better, especially league (this from a southerner).
Better to watch, Sevens and Union are more fun to play... The only downside to rugby over football is that it doesn't lend itself to (the equivalent of) a friendly kickabout in quite the same way.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

jimip

Post by jimip » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:29 am

Feel an outcast at work sometimes due to not being able to talk in depth on all matters football with those with such knowledge as to who should be picked/dropped by those 'armchair' if I was in charge managers, who have never even played the game!

My argument with football fanatics is, as yet, I've not come across another kayaker or canoeist who wanted to 'kill' me due to the fact I was in a different canoe clubs' t-shirt!

Bring on the wet stuff!!!

nomorfkindhalbhat

Post by nomorfkindhalbhat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:46 am

I think this comes down to the fact that most kayakers come from a more privileged background than football fans. I bet most of you posting on this site came through college or uni, probably where you first got into kayaking or had parents who were affluent and willing to encourage you to take up the sport unlike many kids who,s only choice is to go down the park and kick a ball around,get intrested in football start supporting and playing for a local team and venture into immediate employment. (ie I work in the building trade and can,t remember ever meeting a fellow kayaker on site but try and find someone who doesn,t want to talk about football) Ive been a long suffering Spurs fan for many years, trapsed up and down the country and all over europe,run my sons team for 10 years, have made so many good friends, and its exactly the same with kayaking, but the one thing that stands out for me is when weve had party,s and gatherings my kayaking and football friends with a few exceptions never really click.

I welcome your thoughts

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm not trying to be insulting to anyone here, but I've always found the mentality of football fans to be completely alien to me. When I first went to polytechnic in Preston I shared a house with someone from Birmingham who was a football fan. On the bus into town we passed a pub quite close to our digs called 'The Villa' and he said that he point blank refused to go anywhere near it because of it's name. It could have been the friendliest, nicest pub in the country, serving the nicest beer/lager/spirits, and was quite close to us, but he would go nowhere near it. I found (and still find) that quite ridiculous, stupid and pathetic.

A couple of years ago I was talking to someone on the way to paddling who liked rugby (I don't) and promoted over football by saying he was at a rugby match, and he was sat next to (and chatted with) a fan of the opposing team, and they were both drinking alcohol sold in the ground, and both had a good time. How often does that happen in football grounds? (By the way, I don't get rugby, either!)

Rhod

Post by Rhod » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Not that I play either, but this image does the rounds on facebook every so often, and is quite amusing:

What can kayaking teach football, and football teach kayaking?
Rhodri Anderson

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:36 pm

Rhod wrote:Not that I play either, but this image does the rounds on facebook every so often, and is quite amusing:

What can kayaking teach football, and football teach kayaking?
*Cough*.....
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodgate
Giles :-)

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:25 pm

My lad lived and dreamed football from about 2 yrs old, played for a team from aged 6, dribbled a ball about house, had a cabinet full of trophies he'd won. I finally got him to try out paddling aged 15 and he hasnt kicked a ball since!
I watch some football but they definately dont go together.

Rhod

Post by Rhod » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Randy Fandango wrote:*Cough*.....
Who amoungst us hasn't used blood capsules to avoid running a drop? I once pretended to have had all of the skin taken off my face, so that the ref would award me a free swim at some point in the future when i had lost the advantage...

Rhodri Anderson

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:00 am

nomorfkindhalbhat wrote:I think this comes down to the fact that most kayakers come from a more privileged background than football fans. I bet most of you posting on this site came through college or uni, probably where you first got into kayaking or had parents who were affluent and willing to encourage you to take up the sport
I know a lot of paddlers who haven't been to uni and who come from thoroughly working class backgrounds... the unifying factor though is that for pretty much all those people there was either a pre-existing interest in the outdoors or a reasonable disposable income available, usually both. I also learned to paddle with quite a few kids who were from backgrounds where neither were readily available, but the local club was willing to take them places and loan them kit for next to nothing; unfortunately only one or two went on to get jobs that could support them continuing the hobby as we've grown up... it's a real shame, but unavoidable when you combine the nature of the area I'm from and of paddle sports: you can make it cheap-ish but it still needs a relatively large chunk of cash splashed on equipment, and ongoing finance for fuel...

I'd be curious to know what percentage of paddlers in the UK entered paddling through a University Canoe Club though, it's probably rather high.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:54 am

nomorfkindhalbhat wrote:I think this comes down to the fact that most kayakers come from a more privileged background than football fans. I bet most of you posting on this site came through college or uni, probably where you first got into kayaking or had parents who were affluent and willing to encourage you to take up the sport unlike many kids who,s only choice is to go down the park . . .

I welcome your thoughts
I did go to uni etc etc, but I started kayaking when I was at my local scout group as a teenager in the west yorkshire coalfields during the miners strike with a majority of kids who had none of the above. I then stopped paddling for 25 years when I had no space to store or no transport to carry a boat until I picked it up again as a self funded mid life crisis. I now see scout groups doing the same every monday at pool sessions so I'm delighted that this continues.

I think that you are right to identify that opportunity to try out is a key to starting paddling, but this doesn't have to be based on wealth or social status. Here's another reason that local clubs are so important in that by having kit, transport and coaches they open up the sport to folks who have no other access to outdoor activities - support your local club!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”