Wild camping rules in europe

Inland paddling
Green.media

Wild camping rules in europe

Post by Green.media » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi all.
Hoping someone on here can shed some light, my self and a group of friends are headed out to europe; france, italy, austria , switserland , germany and maybe Slovenia if we like a silly drive.

Currently getting a lot of mixxed messages about wild camping ranging from you will be arrested to its fine as long as you move on after 1 night.
Don't panic were a quite group based out of 1 vehicle and plan to pitch after sunset and to have cleared off in the morning well before anyone would notice use. Deffinatly not out to give boaters a bad name!

I've also been told it varies in different districts. Any info on this is also brilliant

Can anyone enlighten me or lob some web links my way please?

Cheers
Rich

RizzRat

Re: Wild camping rules in europe

Post by RizzRat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Slovenia - around the Soca is a national park so wild camping is not allowed.

We didn't fight it and stayed on a campsite which wasn't all that expensive!
Generally p!ssing people off since 1984!

snuggle_bunny

Post by snuggle_bunny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:41 pm

what I've done in the past is ask one of the locals if there's anywhere- a pint or two opens all sorts of doors :) Be careful when camping in national parks as the rules/regs tend to be quite strict but most folks are very welcoming to foreign types

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:47 pm

In France you get quite a few signs stating 'Camping Sauvage Interdit' which leads one to think it must be OK elsewhere other than where there are signs?

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Pretty certain it is forbidden/illegal in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
France probably OK except where it has become a nuisance but note that many 'Aire's' (like motorway services but more relaxed) permit free camping - it does vary though. Also a lot of French villages allow campers and caravans to use an area of the town car park, some even provide electric hook ups, not sure that works for tents though.
Italy is difficult, I can recall wild camping somehwere in the early 90s but within 5 years a village had been built on the spot. Last few times we just used campsites because we simply couldn't find anywhere suitable - but I haven't been for over 10 years!
Slovenia wasn't even a destinaton last time I went to the Alps!

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Anyone know what the deal is in Spain and Portugal? Will be along the coast looking to sleep near surf beaches.

Green.media

Post by Green.media » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:44 am

Cheers for all the replys.
Think we are going to try and campsite it as much as possible wild camping in a few places might involve a few challenges but we will manage :) as mentioned a few beers to a local normaly means you go unnoticed or onto somones land that its all good on.
Moving on then portugal and spain? Im lead to belive they have areas like that of in Frances, that are designated camping areas and are cheap as chips. My post man has been out there sleeping in a van before. Will ask him what he did next time I see him.
Cheers
Rich

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:11 am

I think the wild camping rules are that it's not officially "wild" unless booze drugs and strippers are involved - and until at least 4am.
dave

Green.media

Post by Green.media » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm

DaveBland wrote:I think the wild camping rules are that it's not officially "wild" unless booze drugs and strippers are involved - and until at least 4am.
sounds epic! think were mainly boating on this trip, will bare it in mind for next time im wild vamping in Scotland though :p

gingerballs

Post by gingerballs » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Do not wild camp in Slovenia. You will get woken up by the police and fined, almost guaranteed.

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:51 am

Recently had a great week in Slovenia for first time. Stayed in a very comfortable chalet in Bovec, which worked out cheaper than local campsite! About £10 per person per night. If you are travelling to a foreign land or even another area of UK, it is good to contribute to local economy, by paying for accomodation, and buying local food etc. You are also likely to be more welcome that way! And you can still have a 'wild' time!

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:54 am

PaddyW said "Recently had a great week in Slovenia for first time."

Why were all the other times rubbish?

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 pm

No all trips are good! Some are better than others. None are rubbish! It was my, (and your), first trip to Slovenia!

Strad

Post by Strad » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:09 pm

PaddyW wrote:No all trips are good! Some are better than others. None are rubbish! It was my, (and your), first trip to Slovenia!
The pics looked good!
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Green.media

Post by Green.media » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:30 am

PaddyW wrote:Recently had a great week in Slovenia for first time. Stayed in a very comfortable chalet in Bovec, which worked out cheaper than local campsite! About £10 per person per night. If you are travelling to a foreign land or even another area of UK, it is good to contribute to local economy, by paying for accomodation, and buying local food etc. You are also likely to be more welcome that way! And you can still have a 'wild' time!
Hi Paddy

Fully agree and in support of this, only reason were considering it is we are moving around alot and accommodation might not be the easiest to book with only a hour or so prior notice.

Thank you all for the excellent feedback very useful

Cheers
Rich

RichA

Post by RichA » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:20 pm

We've wild camped a few times in Italy on paddling trips, by taking the non-subtle approach. One car, 3 people, 3 bivvy bags and an out of the way car park/layby/something just outside small villages. Cooking doesn't involve tents, so all you need to do is chuck a sleeping bag down when you go to bed. A local bar is a bonus! We didn't have a problem, and that's not because people didn't see us. Not ideal if it rains I guess. Just keep it quiet and chat to people when they go past. If they ask you to move then do it.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”