Drysuits

Inland paddling
Bob Flanagan III

Drysuits

Post by Bob Flanagan III » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:49 am

I am looking at getting a drysuit as I think this winter is going to be cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey. Can you please give me some suggestions as to which companies make them?

Does having a zip across the front hinder your paddling in any way?

I have borrowed a friend's Palm Stikine which was excellent and I know that they have brought out the Sidewinder Torrent but I have a feeling that these will become quite common. What else is available and how can I contact them?

Cheers

Bob

Blanko

Post by Blanko » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:00 am

I have a t zip accross my shoulder and don't notice it all, plus you can do it up yourself with out your mates "forgeting" to close it properly or you having to become a contortinioist!

Rob

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:40 am

I have a Reed Chillcheater Paddlers Suit and before that a Whirly Bird Ptarmagon (now made by Liquid Blue I believe).

The Reed suit is superb. Aquatherm material is really comfortable and does not restrict movement in anyway. I have found that the material is prone to pin prick holes (from brambles etc) which are a pain to locate and fix. You do also look like a gimp when wearing it.

The Whirly Bird suit was hard wearing, but after a couple of years the material started letting in water and I failed find an effective way of reproofing it. Swimming in suits made of goretex-type material such as this is quite hard as they have no stretch.

Zips have never been a problem in terms of restricting movement. Do get a pee zip fitted too, you will only curse yourself if you don't.

Jules

jayno55

Post by jayno55 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:14 am

Kokatat do several top class one-piece and two piece dry suits in (expensive) gore-tex XCR or (less expensive) Tropos material. The one piece suits have very robust diagonal zips, which kind of stand straight on their own (!) across the chest/shoulder front of the garment, but they don't interfere with movement. Horizontal Pee zips are optional, as are sew in socks if you prefer these to latex anklets.

The main UK supplier is:

Knoydart Kayaking Systems

Tel: 017687 75519

Fax: 017687 75005

e-mail: df@knoydart.co.uk

On-line shop: http://www.knoydart.co.uk

jayno

Gary F

Post by Gary F » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:12 am

Not that I want to hijack the topic....more enhance it ;)

I have a yachting drysuit (too poor for the Stikine and the likes)....it is great EXCEPT water pours down the spraydeck body tube as there is no deck cover on the suit itself. ANyone got any tips??

Also, what do you wear on your feet and how do you get any footwear on over the rubber socks? (I have tried thin socks which work quite well, and even sandwich bags [no really] which seemed great until I tried to walk up a steep slope and, long story short, my feet slid straight out the boots and I was left looking a right mamary)

ianzippy

Post by ianzippy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:30 am

You could try wearing a cheapy cag over the top, even something very basic should stop you flooding out quite so much (of course, it may ruin your look... ;)
As for the rubber booties, i've found that wetting your footwear beforehand and grunting and swearing lots seems to help!
"Love many, Trust few, Learn to paddle your own canoe / kayak (delete as appropriate)"

shaunus

Post by shaunus » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:57 am

Simple answer - DAM X

Haven't got one yet but plenty of friends have and never heard a negative word about them. Apart from maybe not being the most stylish, but as I don't plan to go out on the pull in one I can get over that.
Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita

Dave_C

Post by Dave_C » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:47 pm

Bomber Gear Radiator Suit. Bought off the internet direct from BG. Current exchange rates means its cheaper than some UK suits. And its bomber.

Dave

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:44 pm

I use one of these http://www.trident-uk.com/Trident_Produ ... suit04.htm the water down spraydeck thing is a bit of an issue since it has no twin seal being designed for dinghies, but the suits are very well designed in every other way (breathable upper, tough lower, braces, belt, choice of zip positions) and a bargain at the new price of £219 (for back zip).

Zip position is personal preference, I use a back zip and can zip it both ways without assistance (wax the zip!) and it doesn't interfere with paddling at all, others use front zips and reckon they don't interfere with paddling either.

JIM

buck197

Post by buck197 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:15 am

I know of a company that make excellent dry suits look them up at www.liquidblue.biz

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:05 am

EAF602_Blaze wrote:I have a yachting drysuit (too poor for the Stikine and the likes)....it is great EXCEPT water pours down the spraydeck body tube as there is no deck cover on the suit itself. ANyone got any tips??
A neoprene back support wrapped around the deck tube works very well, and wont fill up with water like a cheap cag worn over the top.

Gary F

Post by Gary F » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:00 pm

Cheers for the idea! I'll give that a go (sounds quite promising!)

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:24 pm

Summit to Sea wrote:A neoprene back support wrapped around the deck tube works very well, and wont fill up with water like a cheap cag worn over the top.
Why does that work any better than just a tight-ish deckwaist tube?

I have contemplated similar ideas to improve the seal between cag and dry trousers when open boating (or, more accurately, swimming from open boats!) I have considered using a waist tube cut from an old deck. Would the back support idea offer any advantages?

Dave Thomas

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:36 pm

Waist tube of spraydeck has to fit past your hips etc and is therefore a bit slack around the middle of normal shaped people (not a problem for me). A back support (or something made by cutting a waist tube off, then down one side and sewing velcro to it) can be adjusted to the perfect degree of tightness around the top of the waist tube. I used to know someone who did this and have considered doing it myself but have never got round to it so I can't say how well it actually works for me, but it seemed to work for him.

JIM

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:07 pm

Jim wrote:Waist tube of spraydeck has to fit past your hips etc and is therefore a bit slack around the middle of normal shaped people (not a problem for me).
Point taken - though I suspect my 'beer gut circumference' is pretty close to my hip circumference - it certainly feels like it these days when I put either of my (several-year-old) spraydecks on!!

Dave Thomas

AndyK

Post by AndyK » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:39 pm

DamX all the way. Bespoke fit and supurb prices! So many people I know have them and mines on order ready for new year!!!!

Paula_V

Post by Paula_V » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:06 am

I have a bomber gear drysuit with a zip accross the front. It doesn't obstruct paddling and you can put it on yourself. One thing I would say though, is that it's VERY difficult to get off.

With a drysuit where the zip goes accross the back, when you're taking your neckseal off, you can pull the suit forwards and hey-presto your heads out and free. With a zip accross the front, there's nowhere for your head to go really and although it can provide amusement for others, it's quite a hassle getting it off!!!

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:12 pm

EAF602_Blaze wrote:Not that I want to hijack the topic....more enhance it ;)

Also, what do you wear on your feet and how do you get any footwear on over the rubber socks? (I have tried thin socks which work quite well, and even sandwich bags [no really] which seemed great until I tried to walk up a steep slope and, long story short, my feet slid straight out the boots and I was left looking a right mamary)
Those polyethane bags from supermarket fruit and veg areas are great between the latex sock and the wetsuit boot.... carrier bags are fine for reducing the friction but they are too good and your feet slip around inside the boot even on level ground. Or you could try Tevas!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

james_trigg

Post by james_trigg » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:45 pm

Over the last few years I have looked at several brands of dry suits. I feel that at the current time the Palm brand of suits such as the Sidewinder Classic and the Sidewinder Torrent offer the best value for money. while the Element drysuits offers great value for you ladies out there!

http://www.upandunder.co.uk/eshop/catal ... ion_ID=184

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”