GoPro 2 or GoPro 3

Inland paddling
Diamond Dave

GoPro 2 or GoPro 3

Post by Diamond Dave »

Hi there,
Not had much to do with the whole GoPro revolution, so wanting a bit of advice.
The price of an Hero2 is roughly the same as a Hero3 white (bottom) edition.
Which is better? Some of the specs suggest the photo capacity is better with the Hero2, but what about the actual picture quality? I assume it's worth getting the Hero3?
...and if I go for a hero 2 is it worth getting paying an extra ~£80 for the silver version?
Cheers!
Dave
Dave Burne
Full Facers - the way forward!
http://www.fourbordersexpedition.com

Jim

Re: GoPro 2 or GoPro 3

Post by Jim »

When I was looking at them (didn't get one in the end), I was told:

Hero3 is smaller/lighter Hero2
Hero2 gets longer from a battery charge
Hero3 Silver internals are the same as Hero 2
Hero2 can be upgraded by downloadable firmware to give same performance as Hero3 Silver
Hero2 not available new (for obvious reasons), and second hand prices were still almost the same as Hero 3 silver new prices....
Hero3 Silver will work with the remote (that comes with black) which is available as an (expensive) extra
Can't remember if both have the same wifi/bluetooth ability but probably not relevant for paddling work.

In the end I didn't really have the cash, or the time to get familiar with it before my holiday so put it on hold for future purchase.

The basic Hero 3 does seem like a step backwards when you compare specs, but only someone familiar with HD videoing can really advise if you need any more!

RizzRat

Post by RizzRat »

I got the 3 didn't consider the 2 as it didn't seem to be available anywhere I personally could find.

I'm enthusiastic but ultimately cack with technology and found it pretty easy to set up.

Dave - if you want to borrow mine to try - more than welcome!!
Generally p!ssing people off since 1984!

blurpup

Post by blurpup »

I would argue the major difference in the 3 is the improved lens, giving significantly less fisheye distortion. The ability to change the field of view is a key enhancement to how the device can be practically used (silver and black editions).

I have an original GoPro 1 - and when I replace it I will go for a 3 to give more flexibility in the footage I can shoot.

That said, if this is going to be your first usage of helmet cams the 2 is still a fine device and if the extra funds are a big deal you will still get good images from the 2.

Jim

Post by Jim »

blurpup wrote:I would argue the major difference in the 3 is the improved lens, giving significantly less fisheye distortion. The ability to change the field of view is a key enhancement to how the device can be practically used (silver and black editions).
Both features no-one told me about which definitely make 3 silver slightly more attractive.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

The 3 silver has the same internals as the Hero 2. However the 3 silver comes with built in wifi, and the newer smaller body, and importantly the new case with a flat glass front so underwater shots are sharp.

In short if you don't want the expense of the 3 Black Edition, get the Silver over the old Hero 2. You'd be silly to do otherwise.

Matt Blakemore

Post by Matt Blakemore »

I recently purchased a GoPro HD HERO 2 over a HERO 3 due to the better recording battery life with the HERO 2 and I thought the quality of footage was good enough for me with the HERO 2. Some decent deals on new GoPros (2s and 3s) on Ebay.

Recording battery life comparisons:

banzer

Post by banzer »

I herd that the video quality on the 3 is so good that it takes up load of memory and doesn't play back easily on a laptop, so you end up using a lower resolution setting.... which kind of defeats the point? And you get less battery time on the 3 too?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

I herd that the video quality on the 3 is so good that it takes up load of memory and doesn't play back easily on a laptop, so you end up using a lower resolution setting.... which kind of defeats the point? And you get less battery time on the 3 too?
Nothing to do with memory. The Hero3 Black Edition can record 2.7k resolution footage which can cause problems on *some* computers, usually lower powered ones. Laptops like the newer 13" Macbook and above will play it no problem.

But note that this is the Hero3 Black Edition. NOT the Silver Edition. Remember the Hero3 comes in different versions. The higher bitrate footage recorded in Protune mode might also cause issues on lower powered computers too, but this would also apply to Protune footage captured on the Hero2 as well.

Yes, it is true that the Hero3 Black Edition has lower battery life. But then it is using an extremely high powered and capable sensor and is doing a heck of a lot internally to get the performance that it does. Either you have higher performance and lower battery duration, or lower performance and more duration. The Hero3 is designed for people who want the best quality picture. Generally people like that will take the picture quality over the battery duration.

banzer

Post by banzer »

SimonMW wrote: Either you have higher performance and lower battery duration, or lower performance and more duration. The Hero3 is designed for people who want the best quality picture. Generally people like that will take the picture quality over the battery duration.
I have been offered a Hero 3 Black new from a friend. Hmmm..... looking at some of my dodgy youtube videos, maybe I'm not a 'person like that' and should get a 2 instead!
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

I have been offered a Hero 3 Black new from a friend. Hmmm..... looking at some of my dodgy youtube videos, maybe I'm not a 'person like that' and should get a 2 instead!
Sorry, wasn't meaning to come across like a pleb. Just pointing out that the Hero3 Black Edition was really aimed at pushing the boundaries for picture quality in such a small camera for more pro usage where being able to match the picture to other cameras is of importance and leaving the camera running for hours on end isn't really of benefit.

banzer

Post by banzer »

No apology necessary! If you see my youtube clips then you'll see why! :-)
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Diamond Dave

Post by Diamond Dave »

Cheers for the replies.
Will mull it over and discuss with some buddies.
Battery life will be important, so that's the black out of the question..
Think the 3 is edging it so far.
Dave Burne
Full Facers - the way forward!
http://www.fourbordersexpedition.com

garya

Post by garya »

Would turning off the Wi-Fi when not needed extend the battery life. It does on my phone and other cameras devices I have that use this feature.

Gary A

dirtbiker

Post by dirtbiker »

garya wrote:Would turning off the Wi-Fi when not needed extend the battery life. It does on my phone and other cameras devices I have that use this feature.

Gary A
Yep, having the WiFi turned off significantly increases the battery life on any GoPro.

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

dirtbiker wrote:
garya wrote:Would turning off the Wi-Fi when not needed extend the battery life. It does on my phone and other cameras devices I have that use this feature.

Gary A
Yep, having the WiFi turned off significantly increases the battery life on any GoPro.
Was this not the problem with the old GoPro's? You just could never know if the thing was on or off. You either had to ask others if they could see a green light showing it was on or take your helmit off and have a look. So most images start with the person staring into the lense. Hence many people would switch it on to start and leave it until they had finished.

Other camera's got over this by using a slider instead of a push button. Has all this been solved with the GoPro 3?

garya

Post by garya »

Like this ??

Gary A

banzer

Post by banzer »

That video is BRILLIANT! We've all done it!
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

banzer

Post by banzer »

Can you turn off all the high spec bits of the Black 3 when required, and effectively turn it into a Silver 3, to make it go on longer?
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Can you turn off all the high spec bits of the Black 3 when required, and effectively turn it into a Silver 3, to make it go on longer?
You can turn off things like wifi etc. However the main draw is from the sensor itself which is far higher performance than the Silver and runs at a higher power draw as a result.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”