Niagra Steve Fisher

Inland paddling
Mark Cahill

Niagra Steve Fisher

Post by Mark Cahill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:05 pm

So according to an interview with Red Bull, Steve Fisher and the team are planning on running Niagra Falls next year:
'We have been running this project for a long long time in the background while we completed our individual dreamchilds; now we're banding together again to undertake something that will make The Grand Inga Project look like a walk in the park. Niagra is the ultimate kayaker's dream; and in 2014 we will run it.'
crazy stuff, can't wait to see the film!

Poke

Re: Niagra Steve Fisher

Post by Poke » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Where did you see that?
Can't see anything about it on the redbull site?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

banzer

Post by banzer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:27 pm

To be honest I'm surprised no-one has done it recently. There's a 'line' river left on Horseshoe Falls that some dude deliberately swam over and survived a few years ago. Which is actually more impressive than doing it with the protection of a kayak. Even if they do kayak it, Inga is much more impressive from a kayaking (rather than media-grabbing) perspective.

Either way I thought it was illegal?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Green.media

Post by Green.media » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:31 am

Id imagine if you've got a high enough profile and are able to afford the helicopter safety teams and to grease the palms of every member of the local police, fire and rescue and government you can do what you like.
Lets face it red bull never stopped before just because someone said "Im not sure this is a great idea"
couldn't agree more that there are far more impressive things that can and could be done and Niagara is more of a press and lime light grabbing action.
Cheers
Rich.

MK123

Post by MK123 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 am

Is that a warm up for when he comes to do High Force?

Adammoorcroft

Post by Adammoorcroft » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Niagra is a media stunt and that's why redbull are keen to do it.

Poke

Post by Poke » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Whilst it's believable, I suspect in this instance this is all made-up. Since the OP (Mark Cahill) has been busy trolling on the high force thread, where he is also posting as topo.tim and slop.surfer I wouldn't hold out any hope that this is true. This is kind of emphasised by the fact he's not managed to provide a link to said interview.

I'd be more than happy to eat humble pie and be proved wrong though. I'd love to see a successful Niagara descent :-)

Incidentally though whilst looking on the Redbull website to make sure I wasn't jumping to conclusions, I came across this genius video! Kind of like an even better version of the "Dangerous When Wet" boys doing their bike vs boat race on the Allt Mheuran back in the day!

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:09 pm

Poke wrote:Incidentally though whilst looking on the Redbull website to make sure I wasn't jumping to conclusions, I came across this genius video! Kind of like an even better version of the "Dangerous When Wet" boys doing their bike vs boat race on the Allt Mheuran back in the day!
That's just plain weird.

Hungry lions vs mountain bikers...that I'd pay to see.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Of course the way to find quotations is to pick a chunk of text which is likely to be unique, cut and paste it into a search engine and it will inevitably give you the source. This one doesn't (I tried it the other day) and therefore concluded it was fake.

The High Force one was different because it didn't sek to suggest an internet link, just some conversation and a link to some vague pictures. It needed the intelligence from Mark or his mods to reveal the doppelgangers.

banzer

Post by banzer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Nonetheless... I'm still surprised no-one has had a pop at Niagara in this post-Palouse era. Other than the guy that actually did, but didn't make it out to tell the tale.... but that was long before anyone knew how to approach 100 ft+ waterfalls.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 pm

banzer wrote:Nonetheless... I'm still surprised no-one has had a pop at Niagara in this post-Palouse era. Other than the guy that actually did, but didn't make it out to tell the tale.... but that was long before anyone knew how to approach 100 ft+ waterfalls.
What? You mean all those important things like a buoyancy aid and helmet?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”