Eh!

Inland paddling
morsey

Eh!

Post by morsey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 am

Poke

Re: Eh!

Post by Poke » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:20 am

slop.surfer wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/97046765@N04/8963971398/ this guy tried to kayak over high force on the tees, he says a grim stopper grabbed him and capsized him on the entry and he lost his paddle in the process. he managed to get into the eddy just before the lip and get out of his boat before jumping across the current and climbing out, his boat and paddle went over the falls. I met him afterwards at the bottom and gave him my email, asking him to send me the footage from his headcam, he sent me these pictures instead but never told me his name. thought this might interest a few people anyway

Well, he's right on one front - it's certainly interesting!

Sounds a little like someone has been making up stories though... If he's been sent pictures (I'm assuming via e-mail or similar) how can he not have the guys name?

That said, this does look suspiciously like the lead in to High Force, so maybe I'm jumping to conclusions?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:26 am

Well, he's right on one front - it's certainly interesting!
Interesting and also rather insane! Is there even a remotely possible line off High Force?!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Hmmm, that does look like the middle rock above high force and that could well be the eddie before going over the initial drop before the main fall. If it's fake, then someone would have had to climb down there to get that pic, not something I'd like to do...

Still, smells fishy considering it's posted by someone using a psydeonym with only two posts.....
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

AlexHolt

Post by AlexHolt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Isn't running high force illegal (local bylaw or something?)

That, and the rather embarrassing cock up of swimming before the drop could explain the desire for anonymity.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:07 pm

The Flickr account is closed now...

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

ChrisE

Post by ChrisE » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Looks remarkable like this photo entered into the Canoe England photo competition:
Caption on the photo on facebook says "River Eddie"

Looks like the same boat but a different person though with orange bits on the cag and elbow pads, rather than the blue one above.

I suspect a two person operation, one holding the boat whilst the other sits in takes the photos etc, and then swapped over...

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Why would anyone pretend to be that inept?

topo.tim

Post by topo.tim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:14 pm

AlexHolt wrote:Isn't running high force illegal (local bylaw or something?)

That, and the rather embarrassing cock up of swimming before the drop could explain the desire for anonymity.

since his deck is still on in the eddy he didnt swim did he
older i get, the bolder i ain't

topo.tim

Post by topo.tim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:15 pm

ChrisE wrote:Looks remarkable like this photo entered into the Canoe England photo competition:
Caption on the photo on facebook says "River Eddie"

Looks like the same boat but a different person though with orange bits on the cag and elbow pads, rather than the blue one above.

I suspect a two person operation, one holding the boat whilst the other sits in takes the photos etc, and then swapped over...

the blue 'cag' is his leg....

ChrisE

Post by ChrisE » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:24 pm

topo.tim wrote:the blue 'cag' is his leg....
Ok I missed that the deck was off in that image.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:37 pm

David Fairweather wrote:Why would anyone pretend to be that inept?
Or indeed pretend to have attempted it at all Dave..... :-)
Giles

topo.tim

Post by topo.tim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:46 pm

its real or its fake, what does it matter? high force remains unpaddled and is to all intents and purposes impossible. if this fella did indeed try it then he's either barking bad or has balls of steel, more balls than paddling skill by the looks of things anyway. right now he'll be sitting somewhere having a chuckle either because its a fake and some people bought it or because its real and some people refuse to believe it. and the whole 'inept' arguement? kind've irrelevant since running high force is just a game of chance whether you survive or not. if we assume its real then whether he capsized at the start or got smashed in the middle or succeeded without a scratch, fact is he had the stones to do it. I certainly wouldnt.

Philb75

Post by Philb75 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:23 pm

And now the video link from the other post by slop.surfer has been removed.

In that there was a guy in an orange cag paddling a red Jackson.
There was also someone in a purple topo.
One of the three kayakers in the video was called Tim

The person who started the First Descents thread topo.tim joined UKRGB on 21st April at 8.03pm and slop.surfer joined on 21st April at 9.15pm

Coincidence??

topo.tim

Post by topo.tim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Philb75 wrote:And now the video link from the other post by slop.surfer has been removed.

In that there was a guy in an orange cag paddling a red Jackson.
There was also someone in a purple topo.
One of the three kayakers in the video was called Tim

The person who started the First Descents thread topo.tim joined UKRGB on 21st April at 8.03pm and slop.surfer joined on 21st April at 9.15pm

Coincidence??

i forgot the internet was full of the paranoid. the dates I imagine can be explained by this 'slop.surfer' wishing to reply to my post and thus creating an account to do so. the links no longer exisiting may be due the video having been removed, people do delete stuff occasionaly. as for the points you make concerning colours, pretty weak (I paddle a purple topo, my name is tim and no i was not in a video with someone in a red jackson). Say whatever you want about the photographs but stop associating me with the people that brought them up in the first place

topo.tim

Post by topo.tim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 pm

and indeed if slop.surfer or the person in the photos would come forward i'm sure that would clear things up. much obliged

slop.surfer

Post by slop.surfer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Apologies all, just got in.
This has caused a bit more confusion than I expected;
The photos are real and all the talk of coincidences is correct, they are coincidences. I entered the photo into the canoe england comp ACCIDENTLY when trying to enter a different one, hence the incorrect caption on it and have since asked for it to be taken down, thats what happens when you try to multi-task your emails and images.
If you want to accept the photos as real then do, if not then dont, we're all adults and we can make our own decisions.
All the best, the much discussed slop.surfer ;)

banzer

Post by banzer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 pm

If you're going to attempt HF, surely you want a LOT more water than in this photo?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Mark Cahill

Post by Mark Cahill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:15 pm

had to comment on this, FAKE! and look i found the paddler in question http://www.jessecoombs.com/testamonials/mega_rocker.jpg
banzer wrote:If you're going to attempt HF, surely you want a LOT more water than in this photo?
less water= broken bones, high water= drowning in the submerged caves

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Giving you the benefit of the doubt here, but can you give us a bit more info about this "attempt":
- when was it?
- what were the levels like (were they as low as they look in the picture)?
- how many friends did he have doing safety at the bottom (or top!)
- how come you were there? were you paddling HF-LF at the time, or just hanging out?
- how did you actually get the photos off him (email, facebook, dropbox)?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

banzer

Post by banzer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Mark Cahill wrote:
banzer wrote:If you're going to attempt HF, surely you want a LOT more water than in this photo?
if it's all the same with you I'll take high water... only a small percentage of the water is going to end up in a cave, most is going to flush right through. Whether you've held your breath and stayed in your boat long enough having gone upside down in the gnarly entry rapid, and beaten the random line generator, is another matter.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:42 pm

banzer wrote: the random line generator
:-)

jamie conn

Post by jamie conn » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Kind of hope this is fake, admittedly it would be a bit strange but marginally less embarrassing than screwing up that badly! Also, "accidentally" entering the photo for a Canoe England competition? Really?
banzer wrote:
Mark Cahill wrote:
if it's all the same with you I'll take high water... only a small percentage of the water is going to end up in a cave, most is going to flush right through. Whether you've held your breath and stayed in your boat long enough having gone upside down in the gnarly entry rapid, and beaten the random line generator, is another matter.
Been to look in pretty high water and the line just isn't there. Huge curler pushing into the right wall on entry, crazy boily lip and then various ledges on the way down (it's not really that vertical). And if anyone was considering the river left channel, theres a ledge that sticks out maybe 3m about halfway down.

See a few clips at the start of this video

Of course I have heard that with another few metres it cleans up and becomes really easy, but personally not convinced! Still, it's fun to speculate...

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Haha! Nice one, Jamie answers the BS with Geeenarl video. :-)

Mark Cahill

Post by Mark Cahill » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:10 am

100 percent bullshit, the guy who faked them is dave mckeith, a tees local. He mentioned the idea a while ago. Why are people even entertaining the idea?! No one could or would have the balls to run it

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:31 am

Mark, do you by any chance suffer from multiple personality disorder?

Talking to yourself is fine, arguing with yourself means that you really have lost the plot.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:33 am

Oooooof!

kmac

Post by kmac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:08 pm

A photo of the lip of High Force - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

And the dark tree river right you can see when looking upstream from here - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

Matches well. I can't believe someone would 'pretend' to do High Force or try to make others believe it has been attempted, how sad.

Betty

Post by Betty » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:06 pm

It would be easy enough to get a boat and person down to where the picture is taken from and probably quite safe at low levels with a rope and harness The question is why you would want to. Is this something to do with an april fools joke?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Don't see what the fuss is about. It's a simple double boof for the likes of EG.
Maybe want a full facer though...
dave