Best glue/way to mend air bags

Inland paddling
Betty

Best glue/way to mend air bags

Post by Betty »

I was wondering if you guys had some ideas on what is the best glue and/ or patches to mend air bags. My canoe air bags are £50 each, so I don't want to bin them. They are made of nylon type material. I have some pyranha clear plastic kayak airbags that are punctured too... thinking of having a mending session :D

James Hartley

Re: Best glue/way to mend air bags

Post by James Hartley »

When I last repaired one of my air bags, I just used a patch, and the glue out of my bike puncture repair kit. It has so far ( 12 months ish) been perfectly fine
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

ck30

Post by ck30 »

Tear Aid is a good way of repairing things. I used it to repair my Rab jacket and works a treat

Betty

Post by Betty »

Thank you! *rushes off to raid OH's bike stuff...*

cp

Post by cp »

If the air bag is of the laminated material ensure you push the glue through the top layer top help keep the layers together. If you dont the pressure just parts the laminate and leaks again. I found storm sure to work well without a patch.

Chris

Jim

Post by Jim »

I have always found aquasure (seam grip, storm sure - any of the polyurethane based glues/sealants) to work just fine for repairing airbags, including a canoe airbag which had been eaten by the mice, although that one did have so many holes I relented and replaced it in the end!

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

I've experienced a few air bags leak from the L-shaped swivel connector that the inflator pipe connects to. Rescue tape works well on them:
http://www.rescuetape.co.uk/
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

geyrfugl

Re: Better than mending air bags

Post by geyrfugl »

Make up a mesh bag of the right size/shape (slightly easier said than done, as mesh is quite hard to sew), then fill it up with used wine bags*. For kayaks, if the backrest stays fairly tight, you don't even need the mesh bag. I find four 3-litre wine bags per side is ample, and easy to inflate/deflate as you want to stuff gear in the back. I've a couple beyond my footrest as well.

They're not free, but even if you threw the wine down the sink, not much more expensive than bought bags, and in my experience they actually last longer ! More to the point, if you have four bags not quite fully inflated and one leaks, you can just blow the others up a bit tighter. A leak in a single airbag leaves you with no bouyancy at all. My car usually contains half a dozen wine bags kicking about in case I or anyone else on a trip needs to replace a bag.

(* wine bag = bag from inside a wine box. Typically 3 or 2.25 litres. We use box wine for cooking and occasional drunken nights, and generate empty bags far faster than kayaking wears them out).

Andy

Mantaray

Post by Mantaray »

I'm with Andy but less of the "throwing it down the sink", please? Such a waste!
AKA Cosmic

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”