HAND PADDLES

Inland paddling
mahobalib

HAND PADDLES

Post by mahobalib » Wed May 15, 2013 10:24 am

Hi kayaking peoples,
i have a friend in my club who is in his final year of uni on a 3D design course. in his current project he is designing some hand paddles and doing a bit of research into them peoples, perception of application and usefulness. having made prototypes and got some feedback he now needs a bit information on peoples opinions. how useful they are to help learning, how useful they might be in emergency situation sas a back up, applications in play boating or surf, and any negative points associated with them and their limitations.
i know he would be very greatful if anyone was able to fill out his very short survey , 5 minutes max

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9LV9W9N

thank you very much

Chris
Chris G

Jones Chris

Re: HAND PADDLES

Post by Jones Chris » Wed May 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Completed. But do you have any pics of the prototypes? I predominantly use power paws as I mostly squirt boat but find the hassle of taking them on and off is getting more annoying, especially when I am trying to work a Go-Pro, and would seriously consider an alternative.

mahobalib

Post by mahobalib » Wed May 15, 2013 2:10 pm

cheers much appreciated,
i dont have any pictures but i can try and get hold of some.
when i tried his prototypes they really easy to get on and off just slide them on, but that did mean there was potential to slide off when using them which wasnt ideal obviously, but they are meant to keep your thumbs free for adjusting things (and potentially pulling your deck)
Chris G

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris » Thu May 16, 2013 7:26 am

So they are strapped on? Interesting to see what he's come up with.

Incidentally the survey doesnt actually question a lot of the things you mention in your post, there is limited scope for feedback and opinion on use etc. There is a lot more I couldve mentioned but the space just isnt there.

Chris

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:27 pm

I took a set of hand paddles to a coaching session last night and let everyone have a go, it added a bit of confidence and feel and rolling was unbelievably easy. 1 or 2 couldnt roll but that was poor technique, they still managed to ditch the paddles and Bang for a rescue.
A few of us will try them at Treweryn this weekend and see how we get on, they may be a cheaper option for splits to carry as part of my kit.
Mark

jonh1140

Post by jonh1140 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:33 am

Hey there,

I've paddled with hand paddles a fair bit in scotland. With practice they're good for up to grade 4 and I was training to use them on the Moriston until I dislocated my shoulder(using real paddles not hand paddles!) and have since had to tone things down a bit. They're a great learning tool as you really have to think about your lines and your edging as you have no way of using power to compensate. It makes a boring low water run an awful lot more exciting! They are a possible alternative to splits but only on rivers you are really confident on, and probably not at all if you are expecting to be assisting in rescuing people (you thought rescuing boats while using normal paddles was a faff...).

As for teaching hand rolling I wouldn't say they're that useful as, at least for the paddles I used, a standard hand roll was surprisingly uneffective and the way to roll with them was with a sort of reverse screw roll motion - not an easy one to teach! In terms of surfing/getting trashed in holes, side surfing is possible but very difficult and getting out a hole once you're stuck is even harder!

For safety people make a big deal about not being able to pop your deck with hand pddles, but it's a lot easier than you'd think to get them off so so long as you trust yourself enough to keep a cool head long enough to get them off when upside down it's pretty safe. I used riveraholic hand paddles with the hand grips so I could still use my hands a little bit without taking them off. One thing I noticed with them is that they sink like a brick in areated water so I duct taped some foam to the rear face of them which gives them some extra buoyancy and protects yout knuckles a bit.

Hope this helps!

Jon

Jonny Kennedy

Post by Jonny Kennedy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Any suggestions on a good set to purchase and/or a reasonable price change?
Thanks

Jonny

jonh1140

Post by jonh1140 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Any suggestions on a good set to purchase and/or a reasonable price change?
Thanks
I use these ones http://www.riveraholic.com/MAIN.htm. They're american so they take a while to arrive but they seem to be good quality.

Hope this helps,

Jon

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:17 am

Chatting with some of the paddlers I met out in the Alps recently, the topic of hand-paddles came up. One caveat that was mentioned was the ability of the hand-paddles to cause wrist injuries due to the forces that can be brought to bear on an already extended wrist. One of the paddlers had broken a wrist while wearing them and they said it wasn't due to contact with anything other than a fast flow in an awkward position.

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Had a go at Treweryn with hand paddles last weekend, 1st thing I noticed is the water is really cold. I had less control of boat hitting eddies and speed of water was difficult to deal with at times, I was paddling a creeker where as my mate had a small Varun and faired a little better manoeuvring.
Its not something I'll be rushing to try again unless I'm in warm water.

Jonny Kennedy

Post by Jonny Kennedy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:50 pm

I've had a google search online, but only found those American ones. Are there any made or sold in the UK?
Cheers

Jonny

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”