Alps conditions

Inland paddling
Jonahs

Alps conditions

Post by Jonahs » Tue May 07, 2013 7:38 am

Morning all,

I know its a bit early in the year yet but we're going to briancon again in mid June and I'm wondering what the conditions are like so far? Eg still full of snow or more melt than normal for this time of year?

Anybody out there yet?

I think it's been a bit colder than normal until now...

marmot

Re: Alps conditions

Post by marmot » Tue May 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi

The rivers are at a good level at the moment, most of this is due to rain, we have had lots last week, last sun and mon didnt seam to stop for over 36 hours and heavy, it just about washed out the water course at l'Argentiere, dropped a bit since then, as for snow there is still loads high up and we should have good water for a long while, have to see what the weather brings in terms of warming up or more rain, hopefully not both, if you like drop me a pm start of June and I will give you a up date.

Cheers

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Tue May 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Conditions are spot-on in the Swiss Valais. It's worth stopping by for the Vieze and Drances de Martigny if you get the chance.

Jonahs

Post by Jonahs » Tue May 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks guys

Play-D'eau

Post by Play-D'eau » Fri May 10, 2013 4:49 pm

As Rob mentioned above last week the rivers in the Hautes Alpes were very high due to lots of rain. Ubaye 140m3/s, Durance 220m3/s. This week levels dropped to medium/high. Even rivers like the Onde, Gyronde and Gyr which normally need warmer conditions have been running at sweet medium levels.
Gyronde on Monday

Durance gorge was at 110/120 at the putin gauge all last week.
Slot and drop in the background. Wednesday.

Last night it rained and everything shot back up. Durance 260m3/s.

This was a winter to remember, the old boys recon that the snow pack was the biggest in the last 20 years!! So levels will stay high and will rise with just a little rain or warm conditions. Fingers crossed that we don't have any thunder storms and the rivers flooding like in 2008.

Down in Provence, all the rivers are running at good levels. Little gems like the Esteron that usually flow a few days a year have been running for the last 3 weeks!

Just over the border in Italy, Val Gemanasca and Pelice didn't recieve as much snow at the beginning of winter but with some big dumps at the end, the snow back is looking good. The main rivers and the tribs have good flows.

Here is a quick video of one of the Germansca tribs called Germansca di Massello

David King
http://www.play-deau.com/

Jonahs

Post by Jonahs » Fri May 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks very much David.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed May 22, 2013 1:47 am

How is it looking now? Hoping to paddle in the Briancon area in a few weeks after a week in val sesia. The forecast is suggesting the temperatures aren't warming up much in the foreseeable future?

marmot

Post by marmot » Wed May 22, 2013 12:25 pm

hi

nope not very warm at the moment, the rivers have been at a good level due to rain, they are dropping off at the moment, its been dry for a few days, but not warmed up enough for melt, there is plenty of snow still up there, the forecast is more rain to come in the next few weeks and a gradual rise in temp, this should bring the rivers back up, hope fully we wont have lots of rain and a big melt or it could get messy,

if we avoid the messy floods and we get the great weather we normally get here, should be on for good water for a while,

feel free to pm me nearer the time you are thinking of heading over?

cheers

Play-D'eau

Post by Play-D'eau » Fri May 24, 2013 9:21 am

Last week winter came back, cold and shitty weather, it rained and rained but the rivers didn't rise, they dropped. The reason it was snowing at 1800m. It snowed 1m at the refuge des Ecrins (3000m).

We decided to leave to seek the sun further down south and look for some new rivers we had never paddled, the rivers feeding into the Med had recieved alot of rain. We got lucky. Hot, sunny and perfect water levels. We got to paddle some rivers that are rarely run around San Remo, Italy. Bevera, Nervia and Argentina

Col de Vars, Sunday morning 20cm of snow.It's time to get out of here!!!

Bellisimo, one of the sweet drops on the Argentina.

Checking out the crux of the lower gorge.

Argentina!!!

Back in the Hautes Alpes now, temps are low and the rivers are too. Durance down to 100m3/s. Gyr, Onde and Gyronde to low to paddle. Guil, Ubaye and Guisane medium flow.
There is still alot of snow 3.75m at 3000m in the Ecrins, as soon as the temps come up the rivers will be high and for a long time.

Be aware that levels will be big and paddle safely, this will be an epic month of June.
David King

Stu mac

Post by Stu mac » Sat May 25, 2013 7:13 am

Hi me and some friends are on a guided trip to the alps on the 15 june for a week (my first trip) is it going to be massive or a good level?? Or is it just to hard to predict?
Thanks.

Jonahs

Post by Jonahs » Sat May 25, 2013 7:48 am

I would have thought it'll all depend on what the temperature does. We are there the same week as you this year and have been there the same week for the last ten years nearly but there is a massive amount of snow there which will melt and ruin things if it warms up but if it stays cool or just warms slightly it may be ok.

Sorry if this is no help or contradictory but it is what it is ;)

Where are you staying?

Jonah

tombankes

Post by tombankes » Sat May 25, 2013 9:14 am

Jonahs wrote:I would have thought it'll all depend on what the temperature does. We are there the same week as you this year and have been there the same week for the last ten years nearly but there is a massive amount of snow there which will melt and ruin things if it warms up but if it stays cool or just warms slightly it may be ok.

Sorry if this is no help or contradictory but it is what it is ;)

Where are you staying?

Jonah
Hi Jonahs

You're right it will depend on temperature, however the real problem is rain. As long as it doesn't rain it will be high levels for quite a while but it will be fine!

Just so you know it is currently snowing in Argentiere, heres a photo!

jocke

Post by jocke » Mon May 27, 2013 11:29 am

Which is the best way to drive from Nice airport to the Durance area?

tombankes

Post by tombankes » Mon May 27, 2013 11:59 am

Jocke

As long as you like mountain roads, I would say don't take the motorway, it's double the length and take about the same time and can get pretty expensive.

I would go via Puget Theniers, then barcelonette and Savines and Embrun, this way you get to see the ubaye from above.

You can go via isola, col de tende col de la madelena, then col de vars, this route should be open, but I'm not sure you would have to check before you go and depends when you are driving the route...

Tom

PaddleSlapper

Post by PaddleSlapper » Tue May 28, 2013 6:28 pm

As this seems to be this summer's Southern Alps thread, here's a tree warning. There is a river wide tree less than ten minutes down from the get-in at Le Casset on the Upper Guisane. Just after a left turn with one of those bouldery eddy-free beaches above it, typical of the Upper, that are difficult to scramble out on. Wasn't a problem for us as not much flow, and at higher levels river-left may be passable. Not possible to limbo under river-right - I tried.

While I'm here, those coming next week may be interested in current conditions in the Durance Valley. It's been dry and cool though we did get some sunshine the last couple of days. Cooler today with light showers. The levels we've experienced this week are: L'Argentière-la-Bessée Slalom Course low but still fun; Sunshine Run low but still some wave trains and big enough for a faceful at the Rabioux Wave; Briançon Gorge right at the bottom end of runnable; Durance Gorge lower end of runnable; Upper Guisane lowish, with lots of exposed rocks at the S-Bend, and the Lower Guisane today was on the low side but at a good fun level.

Anyone else here? We've had the rivers to ourselves and only seen a couple of other boating cars. If there is, we'd be interested in how the Guil and Ubaye are currently running, without having to drive there to find out.

It's good to share.

Duncan

Stu mac

Post by Stu mac » Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to it! And to the post asking were we are staying, im unsure as we are going out with a fella called Andy Holt, Nice Fella and me and my mate are
Slightly worried haha but should be all good! (Hopefully)

Sarah Waddington

Post by Sarah Waddington » Tue May 28, 2013 10:16 pm

Sorry, are you out in Le Argentiere now? I am in Val Sesia and it's lacking in easier fun runs (unless levels go mental anyway). The forecast says recent and future snow for the French alps, is that accurate? Not keen on driving all the way across to sit in snow. Dave needs to fly from Lyon on the 4th, is it worth coming across before that and if I head across then am I going to be sitting freezing in snow/cold with low water levels? Not too keen on huge snowmelt levels either, looking for G3/4 and people to paddle with :-). If before the 4th is worth it, Dave would like people to paddle harder things with (afternoons OR mornings).

Sarah

(written by Dave)

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Wed May 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Got a couple of friends out there at the moment. They ran the uppewr guil, Chat Q, Guidien, and the middle yesterday and said it was at a good medium. According to them its getting warmer out there and levels are starting to slowly rise.

For live webcams to the durance and guil. see here http://www.alpeskayak.fr/webcams-et-vid ... tes-alpes/

Cheers Andy www.escapetoadventure.com
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Play-D'eau

Post by Play-D'eau » Wed May 29, 2013 2:53 pm

Just got back from the Val Sesia, thanks Simon and crew for organising a fun weekend. Conditions where similar to the Hautes Alpes with low levels due to the cold temps. The Sesia was okay but the tribs were very boney or not runnable.

On the way back,we had a quick paddle down the Germanasca, good low/medium levels.

Germanasca, late Sunday afternoon.

Here the main rivers are running at low/medium flows. So good fun paddling on all sections of Guil, Guisane, Ubaye and Durance.
As mentioned above the temps are slowly starting to rise (even if it snowed down to 2000m last night) so the levels will follow.
The forecasts are looking good with sunnier, warmer and dryer weather with cool nights. No big thunderstorms or soaring temps, so levels could rise to medium/big but not huge.

For those getting worried about big levels, with such a big variety of rivers in the area there is always a section to run. The upper sections and smaller tribs should be okay. Or rivers further a field like the Severaisse, Soulouise in the Drac valley. Bachelard in the Ubaye. The other side of the border rivers like the Germanasca are 90 mins from Briancon.

Happy paddling,
David King

PaddleSlapper

Post by PaddleSlapper » Thu May 30, 2013 6:40 am

Update on the tree on the Upper Guisane: the nice lady at the SND Kayak Shop at St Clément tells me it is being removed this week.

After some quite heavy rain the night before, yesterday we had a fantastic cool but sunny day on the Upper and Middle Guil at great levels. I wouldn't have wanted the Middle any higher.

There are a few Germans here, including a hitcher we gave a lift back to the top. He'd just done the Middle solo while his wife read a book in his camper van at the get-in. The only Brits we've spotted so far were coming out of the Carrefour saying to no one in particular "It's time for beer!".

Duncan

intotheoutside

Post by intotheoutside » Fri May 31, 2013 1:38 pm

Any beta on Landeck, Innsbruck, Valsesia water levels?

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Fri May 31, 2013 5:13 pm

intotheoutside wrote:Any beta on Landeck, Innsbruck, Valsesia water levels?
A long succession of cold nights have left levels ever dropping, then the occasional rainy day, bring us back into play. There is a lot of snow above 2500m, like in the French Alps, but no warm nights or warm winds from the south mean this holding pattern will stay. The season will last a long time here in Valsesia, perhaps into late June.

Whilst en rouet to Valsesia, consider Verzasca in the Ticino, its running at 20cumecs today, which is great for the lower section, and rivers of Gran Paradiso, like Soana & Ayasse. Reports have been excellent, and these are a minor detour from Valsesia to Briançon.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 am

Just got back to Innsbruck today, stopped raining (for now), but there's a lot of new snow on the hills (snowline somewhere around 1000-1200m). Supposed to be (a lot) more snow over the next few days, warming up from the 4th.

Mr Burrs Adventures

Post by Mr Burrs Adventures » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Pardon my ignorance but will the late melting snowpack and high river levels in the Southern Alps have a knock on effect on the rivers in Provence. We will be out at the end of June, we'll be mobile and could take advantage of higher levels on the Var etc if the rivers around Briancon are too high.

Thanks............. LINDSAY

kayaker_13

Post by kayaker_13 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:58 pm

We paddled the Middle Durance today, the level was low/medium but it a hot day with blue sky’s. A very pleasant paddle over all.
When in doubt PLF!

Nick

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:18 pm

clarky999 wrote:
Just got back to Innsbruck today, stopped raining (for now), but there's a lot of new snow on the hills (snowline somewhere around 1000-1200m). Supposed to be (a lot) more snow over the next few days, warming up from the 4th.
Started bucketing down again about 5 minutes after I posted this, and hasn't stopped since... The Inn is big and brown here in Innsbruck, while areas a little over to the East are experiencing a '1-in-30-years' flood event - all roads from East Austria to the West closed, lots of evacuations (at least 80 buildings in Kitzbuehel evacuated due to landslide danger). Some pictures from a friend stuck in Salzburg:

Water level up a good 4-5 metres on the Saalzach...

Play-D'eau

Post by Play-D'eau » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:22 am

After a few beautiful hot sunny days here in the Hautes Alpes everything is starting to rise. The Durance is back up to 100m3/s.

An article in the local newspaper today, they are trying to open the Col de Galibier but with 6 meters of snow in some places progress is slow.

Lindsay, the rivers down in Provence should still be running end of June. Les Gorges de Daluis (Var), Vesubie, Tinee and Roya are running high at the moment and should last another month. Smaller rivers like the Esteron will need some rain by the end of June.
The Verdon was at 75m3/s last week!!!!!

The rivers around Briancon should be running at sweet medium levels end of June.

David King

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:20 am

Play-D'eau wrote:
The rivers around Briancon should be running at sweet medium levels end of June.

David King
Hi David, what's the local opinion on the weather forecast. The web stuff isn't looking to good for the end of June.....

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:20 pm

I reckon the snow melt has arrived in the southern Alps 25 degrees today in Briancon. Check out the rab wave cam here. http://www.alpeskayak.fr/webcams-et-vid ... u-rabioux/

Either that or they have opened up the dam on the Guil.

Be safe.

Cheers Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

GosforthStu

Post by GosforthStu » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 am

Can anyone gauge this, i was going to hazard a guess at low to medium ?

http://www.alpeskayak.fr/webcams-et-vid ... u-queyras/

Ive also found this webcam for the Ubaye I think, http://www.ubaye.com/webcam-riviere-uba ... fting.html

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”