Parliamentary Early Day Motion

Inland paddling
Dave Thomas

Parliamentary Early Day Motion

Post by Dave Thomas »

Just found this at http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMList.aspx - it appears that the previous attribution to John Grogan was incorrect!
EDM 957

RIVERS ACCESS FOR NON-POWERED CRAFT

Shepherd, Richard

That this House urges the Government to extend legislation on access to the countryside to allow canoeists and users of other non-powered craft the same access rights as those provided for walkers; acknowledges that the most successful Olympic canoeing nation, Germany, requires land owners to tolerate the use of non-powered craft on their waterways; and appreciates that with increased access to waterways, there will be greater participation in canoeing leading both to obvious health benefits for the nation and to increased chances of future Olympic success.
I guess it is worth bringing to the attention of our respective MPs. 12 signatures so far.

Dave Thomas

edited to add PS:

It seems slightly strange that it is still attributed to John Grogan in an update to http://www.riversaccess.org which includes a press release dated yesterday - two days after the EDM appears to have been tabled! Still, I'm sure there is a good reason!

Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Thanks for the link to the EDM number. I have just emailed my local MP, he was very helpful and supportive on another occasion when i contacted him about another EDM that caused problems for people in the outdoors, the HSEs working at height amendments.

So hopefully he will be supportive again. It may be worth some one writing a standard letter that we can send to all of our local MPs. Is someone from the BCU going to do it, i wonder?

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

pwilkinson

Post by pwilkinson »

I've just e-mailed my home and uni MPs

mharrall

Don't let Apathy get in the way of action

Post by mharrall »

I urge everyone to email their MPs. Here is an email that I've just sent out to everyone in our club plus a few others. Please email all your mates, fellow club members etc and plead with them to write to their MPs too. You can use bits from my letter below if it helps you, but these things are usually better written personally and straight from the heart. Here is my email:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all fellow paddlers,

Please take the time to read this email and to visit the River Access Campaign website http://www.riversaccess.org .

There has been an important development in the fight to gain better access to rivers for canoeing and kayaking. An "Early Day Motion" has been raised by the Rt Hon Richard Shepherd, Conservative MP for Aldridge-Brownhills. An "Early Day Motion", or EDM, is a motion put down ("tabled") by Members of Parliament calling for a debate on a particular subject. If enough MPs sign up their support for the EDM then it could be debated in parliament. The EDM reads as follows:

RIVERS ACCESS FOR NON-POWERED CRAFT

EDM 957

raised by: Shepherd, Richard
That this House urges the Government to extend legislation on access to the countryside to allow canoeists and users of other non-powered craft the same access rights as those provided for walkers; acknowledges that the most successful Olympic canoeing nation, Germany, requires land owners to tolerate the use of non-powered craft on their waterways; and appreciates that with increased access to waterways, there will be greater participation in canoeing leading both to obvious health benefits for the nation and to increased chances of future Olympic success.

Please take the time to write a short message to your MP urging them to sign up to the EDM. You can use the http://www.writetothem.com/ web site to find your MP and to send him/her a message on-line. It's very easy, all you do is enter your postcode and then let the web site guide you through the rest. Below is an example of the sort of message that might be sent.

Dear [MP name}

Re: EDM 957 River Access For Non Powered Craft

I would like to bring to your attention is that a new early day motion has been put to the House by Richard Shepherd (Con) MP for Aldridge-Brownhills. The EDM reads as follows:

That this house urges the government to extend legislation on access to the countryside to allow canoeists and other non-powered craft the same access rights as those provided for walkers in England and Wales; and calls on the government to provide greater access to waterways in England and Wales for non-powered craft; acknowledges that the most successful Olympic canoeing nation, Germany, requires land owners to tolerate the use of non-powered craft on their waterways; and appreciates that with increased access to waterways, there will be greater participation in canoeing leading both to obvious health benefits for the nation and to increased chances of future Olympic success.

Restricted Access to water has long been a problem for canoeists, and and other watersports enthusiasts. In fact anyone wishing to participate in watersport is restricted to using rivers that have undisputed access or where restrictive permission has been granted. This means that we have no access to 98% of rivers in England and Wales. This situation is shown up as being extremely unfair when compared to the enormous freedoms enjoyed by other outdoor activities such as walking and climbing etc.

Please visit the River Access Campaign website http://www.riversaccess.org/ for more information and please also give due consideration to adding your support to this EDM.

Yours sincerely,

Your name

Don't leave this to someone else to do. It is important that we all try to get our MPs to sign up to this. Don't let apathy get in the way of action!

Please pass this on to all other paddlers you know too.

Cheers

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin

God

Post by God »

That site doesn't have contact details for my mp, what should I do to find him (short of hiring the mafia)

Jak

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

Martin

Bunty Hargreaves

Early Day Motion

Post by Bunty Hargreaves »

In case anyone was wondering an Early Day Motion is a colloquial term for a notice of motion given by a Member for which no date has been fixed for debate. They are commonly referred to as EDMs. In the vast majority of cases, however many signatures they may attract, there is no prospect of these motions ever being debated. Members use them to put on record their opinion on a subject and canvass support for it from fellow Members. They do this by inviting, actively or passively, other Members to add their names to the motion.

But what is all the fuss about? There are miles and miles of canals to paddle on!

Bunty

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Got a reply:

Dear Mr Pullen

Thank you for your email, which raises, I think, a very good point, and
one with which I was not familiar. I would like to sign the EDM but I
have recently been appointed a Parliamentary Private Secretary and, by
convention as this is a government position, I am not able to sign any
EDMs.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Slaughter

Bit annoying, but I guess the more MPs who are aware of the situation, the better. Does this mean that Lib Dem or Tory MPs would be more likely to sign?

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

I've just been reading about the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill which is up for debate soon. It seems to propose several changes to previous bills relating to the environment etc. as well as setting up a new agency called Natural England. Perhaps this EDM could be important in trying to get an amendment to the CROW act slotted into this bill.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/ruraldeli ... efault.htm
Martin

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea »

You can also use www.faxyourmp.co.uk but you need to 'personalise' your letter, as they don't like cut & paste spam.

ianv

Well this is what i got back

Post by ianv »

Your message is near-identical to others sent previously
Sorry, but please read our stance on this issue to understand why sending identikit "copied and pasted" messages is detrimental to your campaign.

Sorry to be so harsh, but representatives have made it clear that the receipt of such fax "spam" could mean they bin all messages sent via WriteToThem.com.

Which would be A Bad Thing.

You might like to let the person who asked you to do this that they've potentially sabotaged their own campaign too. Perhaps you might ask them to read the instructions on the site next time?

If you wish to send a message, use the "back" button in your browser and write it in your own, original, words.

All the usuals
-The WriteToThem.com Team

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Now up to 35 MPs who've signed it. Interestingly, it would seem its changed back to being John Grogan as the proposer:
EDM 957

James F

Post by James F »

I write customer case studies at work. Simplistically, we have a list of the paragraphs necessary to build a story, in a logical order. It is much easier to get the story out of our heads and onto paper using this framework than if we just sat staring at a blank screen. The results, though obviously formulaic in structure, put over the unique situation very well.

So:

Introduce Self (with relevance to kayaking)
Reason why writing (you are my MP)
State the problem that you have (limited access)
Give an example of something that has happened to illustrate the problem (e.g. can't introduce new club members to sport as nowhere to go)
Suggest a resolution with a 'do-able' action (sign EDM - eventually ammend CROW act)
Thank and sign off.

Hey presto.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I will respond to this myself ASAP...however, does anyone know what the deadline would be, or what date this reaches a conclusion/ outcome?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I've been lurking here for ages, just watching Daffers dance, but I have posted just to let you know that I have emailed my MP, brian Jenkins.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

guidebook wrote:I will respond to this myself ASAP...however, does anyone know what the deadline would be, or what date this reaches a conclusion/ outcome?
The EDM will remain current, and signatures can be added to it, for the rest of the present parliamentary session. I'm not sure when the current session ends but I don't think its any time soon.

Martyn Read

EDM

Post by Martyn Read »

I've now emailed my MP.

It seems to me that this is something where we can at least get some measure of our sucess. 35 Signitures so far. Can we double this?

Also lets shame the MPs who refuse to sign it by posting their names here.

Martyn

MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I've written to my MP, Jane Kennedy, using the emailer suggested by Simon Westgarth.

I used Martin's letter but modified to reflect more my view which is in line with the WCA's recent position statement - i.e. it's not that the law forbids paddling those 98% of waterways but it is unclear and certain people therefore think they have an absolute right of veto over other users. As I've said before I think the BCU and the rest of us should be careful not to re-inforce a quite possibily incorrect perception of the law, especially when making public statements, writing to newspapers and politicians. Leave interpretation to the courts and then we go from there, should it ever come to that.
Mark

Richard Seaby

Post by Richard Seaby »

Done mine. we will see what he says

Adrian Cooper

Re: Early Day Motion

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Bunty Hargreaves wrote:But what is all the fuss about? There are miles and miles of canals to paddle on!

Bunty
Sorry Bunty but you appear not be aware of the sentiments of many of the contributors to this site. I for one would generally prefer not to paddle on canals even though I have the licence. I am not convinced they are sanitary. One exception would be the Llangollen canal up to the get in at Horshoe Weir on the Dee.

Apologies if you were trying to be ironic. ;-)

RichA

Post by RichA »

What effect, if any, will this have on access in Wales? Is it just relevant to access in England, or Wales too?
I have zero understanding of anything to do with politics and can't say I've ever cared to understand it before, so sorry if this is a stupid question!

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

What effect, if any, will this have on access in Wales? Is it just relevant to access in England, or Wales too?
This should have the same effect in both England and Wales, assuming it has any effect at all. However, the WCA are also taking a more direct approach with the Welsh Assembly, so it is possible I supose that the situation could end up being different between the two countries.
Martin

RichA

Post by RichA »

Well, I've emailed my home MP now, so will await his response! Would a written letter have been more effective?

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

This day and age I shouldn't think it really matters either way.
Martin

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

adrian cooper wrote:Apologies if you were trying to be ironic. ;-)
I think you mean sarcastic rather than Ironic Adrian! There is no Irony in the statement about paddling canals therefore it can not be Ironic.

The word Irony is massively misused and misunderstood (especially by are Stateside friends so it seems) possibly most famously in an Allanis Moresette(sp?) in which the only irony is the fact that none of the theoretically ironic statements are ironic and the song is called Ironic.
Before you call something Ironic first think where is the irony in this, if you can’t find the Irony then it is not Ironic.

Rant Over,
Denzil

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Yeh, yeh!

So it's a moot point. I check my dictionary and I get all sorts of suggestions as to the meaning of ironic, one of which suggests ''ill-timed or perverse event or circumstance that would itself be desireable'' and another ''use of language with one meaning for privileged few and another for those addressed or concerned''. The second might well have been what Bunty was suggesting, as if anyone would be interested in paddling on canals!

Thanks for the lecture anyway teacher!

Pete the kayaker

Post by Pete the kayaker »

Much as I am gutted at coming to the defence of Mr Cooper Snr [especially after his 'lame' dig on the "I could cry - TL3 assessment cancelled.." thread ;) ], I think that the following should be noted.

Irony is the expression of meaning through the use of language which normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous effect. Bunty's comment is a fine example as it implied we would be happy paddling canals (whereas, of course we won't).

Sarcasm is the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Therefore as Bunty wasn't putting anyone down with the remark, it was ironic rather than sarcastic.

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

Aaaaarrrgggggg!!!!!!!!!
Martin

RichA

Post by RichA »

Too much for my head at the moment!

With regards to uni canoe clubs, would it be better for everyone to email the MP in the area seperately, or to send one letter and eveyone sign it?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”