Anyone paddled a Nano?

Inland paddling
66quinny66

Anyone paddled a Nano?

Post by 66quinny66 »

As above really, has anyone either got or spent a bit of time in a Nano? I've had a go in one and really quite liked it but I'm not sure if that was just a bit of novelty new boat factor. After some opinions of others really.
Thanks in advance

edhunter

Re: Anyone paddled a Nano?

Post by edhunter »

I met a guy paddleing one on the Tryweryn a couple of weeks ago and he loved it. I have to say I love the promo video for it though.

Betty

Post by Betty »

My little lad has just bought one and he loves it. Great for heavier teenagers :-)

cp

Post by cp »

Excellent little play boat for its time but a bit dated now, blow moulding makes it very tough, not sure eskimo make them any more though.

Chris

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

cp wrote:Excellent little play boat for its time but a bit dated now, blow moulding makes it very tough, not sure eskimo make them any more though.

Chris
Sorry, I meant the Pyranha Nano

Tiny Dancer

Post by Tiny Dancer »

I have and own one.. and maybe the guy at Tryweryn.

I think the boat is a fantastic design, as I must be one of very few that are not really into the large boats (but lets not go there, im sure another thread covers this topic)..
The boat seems to suit only those that do prefer the smaller/shorter boats, and having paddled a small Ammo for the previous 3 years this seemed the logical choice to begin the change into something with slightly more volume with increased performance due to the new hull designs..
I'll admit that I have not yet had the change to really throw this boat out there yet and begin to push the limits of what I could achieve with this, but there is time yet..
On my more familar runs with what water has been around, I have found the boat to be amazingly fast (compared with the Ammo) yet still giving that ability to turn super quick.. Much less effort was need to boof, the speed and volume made sure of this..
Was this boat more forgiving due to the added volume. Does this forgiveness allow me to push my limits or will this just create a false sense of security when on the river.. I have yet to decide..

I'd be also interested to hear other views, as i can imagine that these type of boats generate a love or hate relationship with many..

Cheers,
Chris J

david-bain

Post by david-bain »

We took them out to the Devils extreme race last year when we did the promo...

I found that the boat really excels on the lower volume steep rivers typical in Italy and such...

Because it is short it boofs super easy, and is not as slow as you imagine.

We also tryed it out on some bigger volume stuff in Austria to see how it would handle paddling threw bigger water. Because of the flat hull it surfed really well, and was controlled in holes but we had no issues with punching threw things either.

Hope this helps a little,

If in doubt, try it again!

David

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

I'll admit that I wasn't that convinced on the idea of the Nano initially. However, having explored some of my local runs in Switzerland having seen this video, I have one on order and am looking forward to being silly on Italian and Swiss rivers this season.

[vimeo][/vimeo]

River Flair

Post by River Flair »

As Bain said, it was a really fun boat to paddle on the steep, low volume runs we took it on in Austria and yet, despite what you might expect with a short boat, still had the hull speed to deal with the bigger volume rivers too.

I think the seating position in the Nano might not suit everyone, certainly if you are more used to paddling Pyranha boats such as the Burn it may feel quite different. With a lower knee position in the Nano, it feels to me more like the seating position in the Dagger Nomad.

The carrying capacity is obviously quite small as well so this certainly isn't an expedition boat, but will be dead easy to carry up to the top of steep Scottish burns and the like coz it's so flippin' light! I carried one for an hour and a half on a walk in to one of the rivers we paddled in Austria and was very grateful I was carrying a Nano and not a full size creek boat!!

All the best,
Dave
river-flair.com
teampyranha.com

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

I was looking at one on Saturday. Really liked the look of it. They are some sharp rails!
Thinking of picking one up for the local runs to spice them up. It'll make a great alternative to the Karma which will be too big to make the local stuff fun.
dave

matt.willis

Post by matt.willis »

Brilliant film completely spoilt by some raised claws

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

david-bain wrote:
If in doubt, try it again!

David
I will be doing. I've just ordered one :)

Chrace

Post by Chrace »

David Fairweather wrote:[vimeo][/vimeo]
(Hint - don't include the "http://<url>" part, just the ID: ...eo]62710338[/vim... )

tomdryden

Post by tomdryden »

Anyone got any idea what sort of height/footsize the large nano will accommodate? Back in the day I used to paddle a micro bat and fancy the idea of one of these!

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

I'm 6ft 2 size 10 feet & weigh 12stone and absolutely LOVE my Nano !! Really comfy and i just confirm whateveryone else says - fast, turns very very quickly, boofs like you would n't believe and seems to go through most things !!!

Being of a certain age i grew up paddling Spuds and microbats and just didn't get on with the current trend for bigger & bigger boats (especially for UK paddling) and am so happy that Pyrhana went back to the future. The Nano has all the advantages and "innovations/technology" of modern boats and all the good bits i remember about small boats.

Out to California next month to see how it really goes :-) cant wait !!
Born to paddle................forced to work.

TonyM

Post by TonyM »

How does the Nano compare with the Bliss Stick SCUD?

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

tomdryden wrote:Anyone got any idea what sort of height/footsize the large nano will accommodate? Back in the day I used to paddle a micro bat and fancy the idea of one of these!
Taller than me (5'10") and with bigger feet than me (size 11) and it's the first boat I've had where I've started the outfitting with a pair of walking shoes on and had to use the big foot plate and have it some way off fully extended.

luie

Post by luie »

I paddle a Large Ammo (the Marmite boat) and love it, but thinking about buying a medium Nano because I want less volume and more play.
Do you think the specs on the Pyranha site are correct?
The Ammo medium at 242 litres has a weight range up to 110 kg but the Nano medium with more volume at 259 litres has a weight range up to 80 kg.
What do you think?

Betty

Post by Betty »

The weight ranges of any boat are simply based upon the experience/best guess of the people who test it before it is commercially available. Clearly there are other factors like height, build and paddling style that need to be taken in to account. The weight thing is at best a rough guide.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 »

The Nano looks great but very much like my old Micro Bat 230..only three or four times the price....
Last edited by kayak1 on Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

I am 85 kg and have a medium Nano. For comparision, I also paddle a Large Z:one, Large Jed, and an Everest. I went for the medium Nano because I wanted something fun to throw about a bit. I've had it out on some chunky 4/4+ as well as low volume runs and it's been a lot of fun and let me get away with some pretty silly things.

I wrote a short review on the medium Nano here:http://davidfairweather.net/blog/pyranha-nano-review.

harry_paddle

Post by harry_paddle »

so from reading this, it wouldn't be stupid to take a med nano to austria this summer?

i'm a little concerned because i've been used to paddling a small villain, with 100 more litres of volume!!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Mike M wrote:I grew up paddling Spuds and microbats and just didn't get on with the current trend for bigger & bigger boats
The original Microbat was 230, the later model 240 (I think, later, they made a 250 aimed at the US market)

The small Burn is 238, the medium 245, I'll admit the large is an enormous 253

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

Adrian Cooper wrote:
Mike M wrote:I grew up paddling Spuds and microbats and just didn't get on with the current trend for bigger & bigger boats
The original Microbat was 230, the later model 240 (I think, later, they made a 250 aimed at the US market)

The small Burn is 238, the medium 245, I'll admit the large is an enormous 253
Perhaps should have added heavier (& i dont like Burns) ?

Micro 230 - 16.5kg
Spud - 15kg
Prijon Creeker - 17Kg (had one of these for years)

My previous two (smallish) boats

Mamba 8.1 (246cm) - 20kg
Nomad 8.1 - 20kg

I just think small boats paddle in a different way and i'm one of those that really like the style. I think the Nano is great and is everything i used to love with loads of modern benefits
Born to paddle................forced to work.

Sayno2playboats

Post by Sayno2playboats »

Adrian Cooper wrote:The small Burn is 238, the medium 245, I'll admit the large is an enormous 253
238L , 279L and 304L respectively according to the Pyranha website.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Mine were lengths, taken from the website, I don't think we have comparable volumes for the older boats.

Strad

Post by Strad »

I would certainly like to take one out for a demo, but they don't appear that widespread yet - or is it too much of a niche boat and so there won't be many about?
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

joereadickins

Post by joereadickins »

Meant to post a while back. We took some Nanos to Scotland in March for some snowmelt, had a great time with them.

Betty

Post by Betty »

This is my son's gnarr vid... featuring the Nano... he can't rate it highly enough.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

The only gripe I have with mine so far is that I find it difficult to carry comfortably. I end up with it very nose down to try to get the hip pad on my shoulder as the cockpit rim is modelled on the sharpest of pointy things!!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”