Lee Valley Booking Fees

Inland paddling
bigDave

Lee Valley Booking Fees

Post by bigDave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:42 pm

I have been informed (and checked) that the Lee Valley has introduced a £2 booking fee when booking over the internet!

So one hour on the Legacy Course cost £7 and increase of 40%
Dave Goddard

TechnoEngineer

Re: Lee Valley Booking Fees

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Ring them up then, innit!

I've heard that it's £2 per transaction, not per slot.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

bigDave

Post by bigDave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 pm

I appreciate its per transaction

If i only book one hour its still a 40% increase.
Dave Goddard

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:23 pm

TechnoEngineer wrote:Ring them up then, innit!

I've heard that it's £2 per transaction, not per slot.
I love things like this, I'm guessing that you end up paying less for someone else to type your name and credit card number into the same computer system...

Having still not visited LV yet I shouldn't really comment though.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:43 pm

I've now heard that they're charging £2 if you book over the phone as well.

Still, as long as we don't have to pay to use the toilets.... :P
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

waverley610

Post by waverley610 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 pm

I thought that this sort of thing had just been banned?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22042309

If anything we should perhaps be paying a discount, to paddle around... a building site ?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnbdq7sub2A

DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING

bigDave

Post by bigDave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:21 pm

There seems to be a new box appeared on the booking website that lets you select debit card.

then recalculate to remove the fee
Dave Goddard

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 pm

So is the fee just for credit cards? Because the booking website frequently ***** up and you can only book one session at a time anyway.
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

janet brown

Post by janet brown » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 pm

We welcome credit and debit card payments over the phone, online and in person. Payment made by credit card is subject to an administration/transaction fee of £2 per transaction. There is no charge for debit card payments.
Never had any problem with booking 2 hours in one transaction online.

Janet

Nick_

Post by Nick_ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:48 pm

I don't get it. You see this all the time now, companies looking to pass on their cost of doing business and putting a quick buck on. 40% is a bit much and it's worse when some companies (like the DVLA - a govt dept) charge up to £5 for a credit card!

Realistically, at 3% for a credit card a £5 purchase is probably under a minimum charge of 30-40p, which is the same cost as a debit card, plus they're probably paying a flat rade of 2-3% for online payments. So debit cards cost them no less but they want to charge for it. Why not just stick it on top, be up front and call it £6 an hour however you pay?

The only real reason would be to avoid chargebacks on cancellations I suppose.
See you on the water!

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:19 am

Don't forget debit cards pay instantly, credit cards can take some time to actually forward the money to the business after authorising a payment. Amex were the worst, many small businesses still don't accept Amex because it can take them 2 months or more to ever see the money..... So another way of looking at credit card surcharges is interest for the recipient.....

I agree it sucks, but most businesses now advertise the cash price because most people have debit cards and because they need to be obviously competitive..... It has never stopped my Grandad asking for a discount any time he pays cash for anything!

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 am

As waverley610 linked to, it will be illegal for them to do so now.

janet brown

Post by janet brown » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Heard today that Lee Valley are having to check bib numbers now, as several paddlers have been taking bibs home with them, then going on the water in the appropriate coloured bib having not paid.
Come on people, why won't you pay a few quid for such a fantastic facility? We're already less cost effective than rafting, so why shoot ourselves in the foot? It was pointed out that any person doing this would not be covered by the centre's insurance.

Janet

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:53 pm

janet brown wrote: It was pointed out that any person doing this would not be covered by the centre's insurance.

Janet
I really don't think that is a factor in anyone's thinking , I mean when you go on a river you don't have insurance nor a way to claim against anyone should you mess up so cant see how an ultra safe environment like this insurance is going to really be a selling point for stopping them getting on free
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

janet brown

Post by janet brown » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:11 am

OK then forgetting the red herring, do you think it is OK to hop on without paying? I know you've had problems previously with a natural river and fully agree with your position there, but surely this is different?

Janet

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:17 pm

It's no different to any other sort of "crime" where people don't buy a ticket.

A large on the spot fine, with the miscreants kayak locked away until it was paid would soon stop that, lifetime ban for a second offence.

More room for those of us that want to pay to use it then!!

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Chalky723 wrote:It's no different to any other sort of "crime" where people don't buy a ticket.

A large on the spot fine, with the miscreants kayak locked away until it was paid would soon stop that, lifetime ban for a second offence.

More room for those of us that want to pay to use it then!!

C

You cant do eather of thouse, they could ban you yes but cant force a fine on you nor take your boat,
janet brown wrote:OK then forgetting the red herring, do you think it is OK to hop on without paying? I know you've had problems previously with a natural river and fully agree with your position there, but surely this is different?

Janet
Hahaha I really wanted to give some type of politicians answer here where I neither confirm nor deny my position, but I am not cleaver enough and would be more likely to end up putting myself into a corner over it

What I will say is its to far away from me to effect me in anyway I haven't ever used it therefore I don't really have an opinion on it :-)

If I am being forced then yes I recognise the difference between natural river that flows and manmade water courses that require pumping and in turn have an over head that needs to be covered,

The rebel in me likes the fact that there is one's who do this, but I suppose you could turn it around and ask why do they feel they need to do it, if you are using it several times a week I am sure the cost would soon mount up and as such you may soon feel if you can get a few free rides on it why not, as I said I don't use it never have and so have no idea of the costs or how busy it is or isn't

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Voodoo wrote: You cant do eather of thouse, they could ban you yes but cant force a fine on you nor take your boat,
True unfortunately, they could go down the "Mall Security" route & detain the perps for the police, but probably not worth the effort. It just means that the rest of the honest folk will now have to queue up to make sure that their bib is signed in rather than just chucking it in one of the bins and a member of staff will have to sign them in instead of issuing bibs to arrivals.
Voodoo wrote: if you are using it several times a week I am sure the cost would soon mount up and as such you may soon feel if you can get a few free rides on it why not, as I said I don't use it never have and so have no idea of the costs or how busy it is or isn't
You could argue that if they're using it regularly there is obviously a demand for it! It's the same as all the other "treats" in life, if you want them you have to be able to afford them or make sacrifices elsewhere. Plenty of rivers out there if they don't want to pay!!

C

dave4423

Post by dave4423 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Voodoo wrote:What I will say is its to far away from me to effect me in anyway I haven't ever used it therefore I don't really have an opinion on it :-)
Although you obvious do!
Voodoo wrote:The rebel in me likes the fact that there is one's who do this, but I suppose you could turn it around and ask why do they feel they need to do it, if you are using it several times a week I am sure the cost would soon mount up and as such you may soon feel if you can get a few free rides on it why not, as I said I don't use it never have and so have no idea of the costs or how busy it is or isn't
This is exactly the same attitude as people who avoid train fares and the like - so I guess you are OK with this too. The costs are irrelevant - the course costs money to run, and it's perfectly fair to charge a fee for using it.

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:01 pm

dave4423 wrote:
Voodoo wrote:What I will say is its to far away from me to effect me in anyway I haven't ever used it therefore I don't really have an opinion on it :-)
Although you obvious do!
Voodoo wrote:The rebel in me likes the fact that there is one's who do this, but I suppose you could turn it around and ask why do they feel they need to do it, if you are using it several times a week I am sure the cost would soon mount up and as such you may soon feel if you can get a few free rides on it why not, as I said I don't use it never have and so have no idea of the costs or how busy it is or isn't
This is exactly the same attitude as people who avoid train fares and the like - so I guess you are OK with this too. The costs are irrelevant - the course costs money to run, and it's perfectly fair to charge a fee for using it.
You choose to use it: you pay, should be simple. There are plenty of free alternatives. The thieves who don't pay make it more expensive for the rest of us who do and deserve to be thrown off the course.

Having said that, I like the idea of being able to buy an annual subscription for unlimited use if that were available.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:29 pm

dave4423 wrote:
Although you obvious do!

Hmmm no I really don't, as I said I know nothing off the site,
I strongly believe we shouldn't be charged for natural rivers, however this is not a river its man made and as such they have over heads that need to be covered its up to them how they recover that, just because I have expanded on it as I wrote doesn't mean I will be losing sleep over developing an option or not on the matter

I am a rebel at hart so I will always tend side with the law breaker to a degree or at lest not be as quick to jump on the lynching band wagon as other may do

I don't know what trains have to do with it but since you brought it up I hate trains I think they should be removed and the tracks used as freight roads or something,
I think prices are far too high on them and they never go when or where you want to go ( Unless you live in the SE but for the rest of the country Trains are a waste of time ) so I can once again understand why some may fare dodge,
Thinking about train fare dodgers they have never bothered me , I mean they don't effect you in any way you have chosen to pay and so you can sit there all smug if you have a seat and not worry about being asked about tickets where as the guy that hasn't bought a ticket is hiding in the loos so who has the better journey him or you the train is going to the same stops anyway so it doesn't effect you, what it normally boils down to is that you feel stupid for spending over the odds on your ticket as you stand next to the loos because there is no seat and so instead of growing a set and making a stand or dodging the faire yourself its easier to feel all upset that someone else is getting a free ride,

But the same could be said of LV its easier to pay than to dodge but having now checked out the price at £10 for 1 hr on the thing again I can start to understand why some may choose to not want to fork out if your wanting to paddle a few times a week
Yes you can argue that they don't have to paddle a few times a week and only paddle when you can afford to ect. but where the fun in that, where's the rebel sprit, What it all starts to sound more like to me is one off if they cant afford it then they shouldn't be there and that means I get to have the place to my self ! That starts to sound allot like the tweed wearing brigade you see along the rivers waving there rods at you does it not

Question ? Do they not have a yearly membership or it it some extortionate price than means only those that can afford it would buy it and those that cant will still dodge it ?

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:36 pm

You choose to use it: you pay, should be simple. There are plenty of free alternatives. The thieves who don't pay make it more expensive for the rest of us who do and deserve to be thrown off the course.
What makes them thieves ? what have they stolen ?
How does it make it more expensive for you ? The price is what it is, or do they charge you more on the day because two pepole got on that didnt pay ?

and as a serious question what are the free alternatives in the SE to paddle, Hurlley as a play spot but where is the other grade 3 WW runs in the SE ?

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:45 am

Voodoo wrote:
What makes them thieves ? what have they stolen ?
How does it make it more expensive for you ? The price is what it is, or do they charge you more on the day because two pepole got on that didnt pay ?

and as a serious question what are the free alternatives in the SE to paddle, Hurlley as a play spot but where is the other grade 3 WW runs in the SE ?
Crikey, you do have an over inflated sense of entitlement don't you? Not a leg to stand on though, unfortunately. Yes, if you can't afford it, don't paddle it - it's that simple. At £5 per hour I think it's really good value, a couple of hours is more than enough for most people anyway. We go every 3 or 4 weeks, the rest of the time we're on flat rivers or go to Wales - funds permitting.

The additional admin required to make sure thieves don't steal the bibs will mean that a member of staff has to be re-allocated from another task (probably booking in) and increases the overheads.

As for areas in the SE to paddle, what would people have done 2 years ago? Driven miles & spent a fortune on fuel, accommodation etc. so again, Lee Valley is good value for money.

There is a fine line between being a "Rebel at hart" and just spouting off for the sake of it. Your opinion might be more valid if you'd actually been there yourself & used the facilities - cafe, free parking, free changing, free showers - when you take that into account £5 an hour is ridiculously cheap!!

C

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 am

Voodoo wrote: I think prices are far too high on them....

Thinking about train fare dodgers they have never bothered me , I mean they don't effect you in any way you have chosen to pay
Ever thought that the fares are in part higher due to people who use the service and don't pay, they do effect everyone else as the costs for them to travel are then shared by everyone else. It is theft and it's wrong, just as using LV without paying is wrong, there is a huge difference between being a bit of rebel and stealing. You're only one step away from the burglars justification of "it's ok to steal because they have insurance..".

Suggest you reset your moral compass...
Graham Stradling

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:36 am

Strad wrote:
Voodoo wrote: I think prices are far too high on them....

Thinking about train fare dodgers they have never bothered me , I mean they don't effect you in any way you have chosen to pay
Ever thought that the fares are in part higher due to people who use the service and don't pay, they do effect everyone else as the costs for them to travel are then shared by everyone else. It is theft and it's wrong, just as using LV without paying is wrong, there is a huge difference between being a bit of rebel and stealing. You're only one step away from the burglars justification of "it's ok to steal because they have insurance..".

Suggest you reset your moral compass...
no I dont belive that Argument for one min, do you honestly belive if everyone paid there Fares on the Train the fares over all would be Cheaper ? or do you think they will go up next year as they do every year ?

I don't have a moral compass, since Morality is a test of our conformity rather than our integrity, or in the words of the Jerry Springer opera, Anyone can comfortably occupy the Moral high ground, its more difficult to comfortably occupy the Moral low ground
Chalky723 wrote:
Crikey, you do have an over inflated sense of entitlement don't you? Not a leg to stand on though, unfortunately. Yes, if you can't afford it, don't paddle it - it's that simple. At £5 per hour I think it's really good value, a couple of hours is more than enough for most people anyway. We go every 3 or 4 weeks, the rest of the time we're on flat rivers or go to Wales - funds permitting.

The additional admin required to make sure thieves don't steal the bibs will mean that a member of staff has to be re-allocated from another task (probably booking in) and increases the overheads.

As for areas in the SE to paddle, what would people have done 2 years ago? Driven miles & spent a fortune on fuel, accommodation etc. so again, Lee Valley is good value for money.

There is a fine line between being a "Rebel at hart" and just spouting off for the sake of it. Your opinion might be more valid if you'd actually been there yourself & used the facilities - cafe, free parking, free changing, free showers - when you take that into account £5 an hour is ridiculously cheap!!

C
No I really don't have If I was going to LV I would pay, I was merely trying to give a insight as to why someone would perhaps wish not to pay, no different that those that done it on the Dee or the Twyren in years gone by they felt the price for service gained no matter what was to high so they didn't pay, (although other factors came into play there as well)
Its all relative, its fair enough you saying its good value but someone who's is say out of work or a student ect. then cost will matter and it may not seem as cheap or good value to them, so you are back to square one with how to incorporate them with out appearing elitists or disenfrancing people because they cant afford it ( however I do believe no matter how good a value you will always get those that will choose not to pay for what ever reason)

I am making the assumption here that those that don't pay are locals they have it on there door steep and they want to use it as often as possible but the cost soon mounts up, the issue is one of how do you make it more cost effective for those that want to use it more than once every few weeks say a few times a week,

But again do you honestly think the price would drop if everyone paid since the price is set at the £5 or £10 rate then you should expect a price drop if they stamp out the people who have jumped on with out paying so I await to see that happens weather the price goes up or down with time as the problem gets resolved

FYI: I have quit the Fags last week so I may be arguing just to pass the time between thinking "Jesus I could kill a ciggy" ;-)

Yew

Post by Yew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am

LV is significantly more expensive than comparative WW courses however.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 pm

And if half the people using it decided not to pay, I suspect the price will double. (all other factors remaining equal)

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Voodoo wrote: no I dont belive that Argument for one min, do you honestly belive if everyone paid there Fares on the Train the fares over all would be Cheaper ? or do you think they will go up next year as they do every year ?
There is a clear difference between fares going up every year versus whether fare dodgers have an impact. Personally I think that the rail companies screw people over left right and centre (and I agree with your view that it's overpriced / poor service), BUT, I also believe that yes people not paying their fair share has an impact on the cost to others. The two viewpoints are not mutually exclusive.
Voodoo wrote: I don't have a moral compass, since Morality is a test of our conformity rather than our integrity, or in the words of the Jerry Springer opera, Anyone can comfortably occupy the Moral high ground, its more difficult to comfortably occupy the Moral low ground
I guess this one depends on your view of the definition of the word Moral - there are a few differing definitions and I tend to use it purely from the point of view of holding a high level of personal integrity - the line between personal and group think of right and wrong is a whole debating point that could go on for years. I've come across people that genuinely don't appear to understand basics such as theft or violence as being wrong, in part because the group of peers they associate with also think the same. The only way we could prove that is when 'morals' could be mathematically demonstrated?
Voodoo wrote: FYI: I have quit the Fags last week so I may be arguing just to pass the time between thinking "Jesus I could kill a ciggy" ;-)
well done for you on this one, not an easy task.
Graham Stradling

garya

Post by garya » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Quite apart from the fact the rumoured persons unknown have stolen a bibs from LVWWC, the theft of the bib is a crime itself let alone using it to commit fraud by not paying.

having said that the bib is probably lost down the back of a locker or caught in the tumble dryer.

The cost for the course is quite cheap at £5 per hour for the legacy course. It has a conveyer belt which allows a lot of runs in that time and a 2 hour session is enough for most. The canal that runs alongside and local rivers are all free and Thames is near by if you fancy more of a challenge.

It is one of the very few courses you can actually reach by public transport by train or bus which makes it more inclusive than those you can only realistic get to by car. The availability to hire kit on site also means that you don't need to have all your own kit which can run to hundreds of pounds. £10 would barely get you halfway to the next nearest WW course in the southeast.

So all in all it does work out to be a very reasonable price when compared to the cost of a pint or a ticket to any other sporting event... even the local swimming pool is £4.50 a session.

If someone is doing this I would be surprised as almost all paddlers I know are decent honest people who are friendly and willing to help if you need it. I hope this is not a sign of things slipping at LV as we already have had kit stolen from cars. Although the response from the centre was good with extra security and lighting. It is probably just an over sight with all the building work going on.

So if you do have a bib you forgot to hand it just discreetly dump it in with the rest of the bibs next time you are there ... simples

Gary A

Mike79

Post by Mike79 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Anyone who has ever run their own business understands why it's necessary for your customers to pay, as do most of the people who have never done so because frankly it's pretty obvious.

Lee Valley Parks is a statutory body, it doesn't make a profit but exists solely to bring sport and leisure to the people of London. It's one of London's great assets and nobody is getting rich off it so you can forget any "fat cat" type nonsense or comparison to rail companies. Getting on without paying isn't "sticking it to the man" - it's just being a tool.

At present there exists a good degree of trust and good will between most of the paddlers there and the management, most of whom are paddlers themselves. If there is abuse of the facility by some paddlers there is a risk that this may be eroded and that's not in anyone's interest. There is no reason to take a "them and us" type attitude to Lee Valley, since once you get to know them you realise that "they" are "us." Much better to all cooperate and play fair.

On season tickets/membership, I spoke to Pas (the deputy manager) about this the other day and he told me that it was being considered but that it would probably be a while before it was enacted because they need to work out a likely usage rate and decide the best way of doing it. I would encourage people to enquire about it though because the more requests they get the more it will move up the agenda.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”