What paddle do you use?

Inland paddling
Demondave

What paddle do you use?

Post by Demondave »

Happy new year paddlers.
I’m looking to get a new (new to me not necessarily brand new) paddle.
I’m a curious cucumber and thought it would be interesting to see what paddles you all use.

I currently use a Werner player 194 with a 45 feather (I think).
I’m thoughts are the moment is to try a VE (197 with a 30 feather).

What do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poke

Re: What paddle do you use?

Post by Poke »

I've occasionally tried other brands of paddles, but always gravitated back to Wener Powerhouse - straight shaft.

I'm 6'2" ish and have generally had 194 or 197's, though these have worn down to as litle as 180cm over time.
Modern trend seems to be to go longer. Even 197's would be considered quite short for someone of my height these days.
Not entirely convinced I need more than 197, though I gues it would compensate a little for the wear over time!

Couldn't tell you what the angle was. Whatever it came with! Imagine the majority of straight shaft paddles would be between 30° and 60°. Imagine you'd get used to whatever angle you had pretty quickly.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures
joshsmithz

Post by joshsmithz »

I've been river running with a Gala Sport Carbon Slalom paddle hahah absolutely love it but have just purchased a Robson Fluid Carbon straight shaft from ROHO on sale at the moment at a really good price so will see how that goes!
Sambo1988

Post by Sambo1988 »

Hi all

I have been paddling with a full carbon cranked VE 200, and have really enjoyed it. It’s seen it’s day now so I have just replaced it with a custom Gpower x creek full carbon cranked and after a few sessions absolutely love it, they also have aluminium reinforced blade tips and weigh they same as my VE. Although the weight distribution is different.
LondonPaddler1999

Post by LondonPaddler1999 »

I paddle with a VE Creeker straight shaft 197 30 degree carbon shaft glass blades. Personally I have tired Werner Powerhouses and the player and never got on with either of them. The moment I picked up the VE though I really got on with it and would recommend it to anyone.
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

VE 30 degree straight shaft 197, more power than Zeus, can fault them. I used Wener Sidekick until I tried the VE.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Most days Jantex Gamma Rio Small with metal tips, need to order a new one because I snapped it on Serpents tail a couple of months ago and not 100% confident of my repair. Its adjustable 205-215 but I use 208 on rivers, 210 on the sea (because the boat is wider)
Also use a Double Dutch Kinetic on a cranked shaft, probably 197. Will probably replace this with a Raab this year or maybe a G-Power.
And a G-Power Revolution.

I have lots of other paddles, mostly Lendal Kinetic types, but these days almost all of my paddling is done with those 3 accross various disciplines and boats. I'll probably grab a Lendal if I know it is going to be particularly rocky, but I don't run those kinds of rivers much any more. Oh yeah, I have a couple of worn VE's I use in place of the G-power if it's rocky/shallow, both quite well worn down already. Definitely prefer metal tips these days, that's why the DD will get replaced.
cathalferris

Post by cathalferris »

I'm still using my Werner Sidekicks, originally 194 I think, with 45 degree cranks. They're worth down to about Player size and I do think I'll replace them either this year or next year, with another large bladed cranked set of Werners.

Oh wow those are actually 15 years old. Oof.

One bit of advice, only get the larger area blade if you have the physical strength and finesse to control that much area in whitewater.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Franky

Post by Franky »

I have just bought a VE 197 with 30-degree feather, carbon shaft, carbon blades.

This is to replace my VE 197 with 45-degree feather, which I have been happy with, in the 5 1/2 years I've had it. However, it recently developed leaks where the edges of the blades had worn down to the air cores. This is something to be aware of with VE paddles. I intend to strengthen the edges of my new paddle with Epoxy, as suggested in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135720.

Here are the old and the new paddle side by side:

I've just measured the old paddle and its actual length is now 192 cm :0

For what it's worth, when paddling, I'm not conscious of any difference between the 45-degree and the 30-degree feather, but I trust that the latter is easier on my wrist.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”