Freestyle kayak

Inland paddling
Demondave

Freestyle kayak

Post by Demondave »

Just wondering how tight a fit should a freestyle kayak be?

I usually use a Burn 3 (large) which I find gives me ample room. However recently bought a Jed (large) expecting a similar feel, however it feels rather tight. Is this usual?
It could partly be down to the previous owners set up and I just need to adjust it a bit. However it did surprise me how cramped it felt.
Anyone else experience something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chicklechives

Re: Freestyle kayak

Post by chicklechives »

You'll find it more snug. Generally not comfy for a full day of getting in and out. As a first fix what shoes are you wearing? Try to avoid bare feet but anything from neoprene socks up might be needed

Demondave

Post by Demondave »

chicklechives wrote:You'll find it more snug. Generally not comfy for a full day of getting in and out. As a first fix what shoes are you wearing? Try to avoid bare feet but anything from neoprene socks up might be needed
I generally wear lomo boots.

Franky

Post by Franky »

I have a Rockstar, and wear Palm Stomp reinforced socks. I can't even get into it with shoes on.

Jim

Post by Jim »

If you squash the foot area of the kayak, you end up with less room for your feet...
Obviously a slicey playboat is going to be more cramped than a Burn. I found my Jed pretty spacious compared to my old Glide, the Burn is like sitting a damn cathedral, I mean you can not only wear shoes in it, but chunky boots with thick soles...

It isn't all about the shape though, if you are going to flick the boat over your head (I can't do it, thats why I sold my Jed, but it is the basis of all the modern moves the klids like), you need to be pretty tightly fitted so you don't fall out whilst it is upside down. Actually you can do a lot by tensing muscles at the right moment, but you do kind of need to tense and relax in certain sequences to pull the move off, which might not be the same times to keep yourself in the seat...

Demondave

Post by Demondave »

Thank you.
Yeah the Burn is very much like a sofa on the water. can’t knock a bit of comfort.

So a bit of an update - I took a look at the seat area and noticed that the previous owner did a bit of customisation. A few photos and a friendly call with Matt from Up and Under gave me the reassurance I was after. Big shout out to Matt for taken the time with me and providing some good advice.

I’ve taken out most of the extra padding and found that I fit in the thing better. This weekend I’ll fine tune it a bit more.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”