Objects of desire

Inland paddling
Kayaks North West

Re: Objects of desire

Post by Kayaks North West »

That was quick! Congratulations Mr. Beecroft - PM us with your address for your free stickers!

It is indeed Mr. Tao (sorry Daz) Berman's Migo 230 from his then world record descent of 98 foot Upper Johnston Falls in Banff National Forest in 1999.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

Tao is a 'stage' name. Cody on birth cert etc.
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Wrong sub-forum I know but this is what I wanted for a long time:
Feathercraft Khatsalano

I also really liked the look of the Super Sport but never owned one, and Mike Dalton's Madjiic slalom C2, of which I did later have two.

Chris

Rory W

Post by Rory W »

Don't suppose anyone can find me a picture of an Art Fiber Starfighter WWR boat? Not even sure I've got the name or manufacturer right. Looked for a while but no joy. Does anyone even know the boat I'm on about? I remember it looking mint!

Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm going to have to make a stand against the acro-bats.

When they came out pryanha plastic had a terrible reputation, some of us thought the double chine acrobat was an accident due to taking a warm stunt bat out of the mould too early and the bottom caving in. Of course this was all nonsense, but nevertheless it was to mind one of the least desirable boats of it's age. My club ended up with one - a C1 conversion, but they certainly didn't take off up north, I think only one member had one and he damaged it in the alps when almost new and was distraught about it.

I always liked the look of the super sport, but to be honest at that time the only boat I was interested in was a squashed spud, which I got.

KarenC

Post by KarenC »

Is this the composite rodeo bat you are talking about? Built by Pyranha for the World Rodeo Championships.

KarenC

Post by KarenC »

Onecar wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:35 pm

I think he meant rodeo boats
No, I meant what I typed, although I am happy to be corrected upon the nomenclature of the boat, it was not a stuntbat nor an acrobat.

At the 93 worlds, there where loads of proto boats, EJ paddled a glass transition and all the brits I believe paddled what I thought were called rodeo bats, these were somewhere between a stunt bat and an acrobat, they looked like an acro, but did not have the double concave hull. they were composite and were available in limited numbers. I saw one in kent canoe services shop for sale, it was all glittery and gorgeous, I have never wanted a boat more....

If you think about the naming scheme, then the name rodeo bat makes sense, at that time, most of pyranhas boats were "bats" of some sort, in fact the plastic boat the composite one became was an acro-bat, the last pyranha boat to have the bat suffix.

G
Apologies for pre empting you but I know a guy who had one of these and he just called it an acrobat prototype I didn't think it had an actual name.
Must admit I thought it looked more like a stunt bat though.

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

It definitely says Stunt bat on the back, and it's certainly glittery & gorgeous!

I must admit, I also saw this on FB market place & was very tempted by it, but I think I'll hold out for a cheap 3.5m slalom boat instead.

Well done for dragging up a 10 year old thread BTW, you must have an amazing memory! :-)
Martin

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

Mine has nothing on the back, is glittery, is cool, is a Rodeo Bat
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Yew

Post by Yew »

I'm going to add the Gigue-Prod 2008 Easymix to this list, it just looks good!

I had one for a while, but it was built up about 1cm, and that was just too much volume in the front for me, but how I long for a modern adaptation. 6' long, hard rails and progressive rocker!

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris »

I've been through a few boats. Still some I really want to paddle at some point..

The Savage Fury really piqued my interest, shortly before the Glide came out and supplanted that. I had lots of fun in the club Glide over those next few years, surfing and grade 4 whitewater. Corran really did a good job with pushing the envelope.

These days, there's a little element of nostalgia in it, but I do miss good fast wave boats. Given my increase in mass from my college days, I no longer float the smaller Riot boats in their designed draught with my extra 20kg of muscle aged since then.. The only one that now interests me is the Prankster. It's a pity they are near impossible to find these days.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Yew

Post by Yew »

Indeed, what I'd do for a lovely 6" playboat, with hard rails. I love my guigui, but it is a shame that it doesn't handle like I'd want on a wave.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

cathalferris wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:18 pm
These days, there's a little element of nostalgia in it, but I do miss good fast wave boats. Given my increase in mass from my college days, I no longer float the smaller Riot boats in their designed draught with my extra 20kg of muscle aged since then.. The only one that now interests me is the Prankster. It's a pity they are near impossible to find these days.
You need to turn your gaze to the old Necky line up.

The Switch, Orbit Fish and Chronic are all proper fast and the Vibe is pretty damn quick for a 6' boat.

There always seem to be old Neckys floating around the second hand market too.

Denzil

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris »

StoneWeasel wrote:
cathalferris wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:18 pm
You need to turn your gaze to the old Necky line up.

The Switch, Orbit Fish and Chronic are all proper fast and the Vibe is pretty damn quick for a 6' boat.

There always seem to be old Neckys floating around the second hand market too.

Denzil
I actually had an Orbitfish, but found that over 13.5 stone it no longer performed properly. I put on a stack of muscle and the boat would consistently pearl instead of surfing for me, so I sold it onwards to someone that would benefit from that boat.

I currently have a large Jed, and it's good, but it's far from a glassy wave surf boat.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”