Dave Higson has left us

Inland paddling
Croft

Re: Posted on behalf of Patti Singleton

Post by Croft » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:07 am

What a wally I am - but have failed to be able to post my message - looks like I need to be a member -

What I would have told your friends is that part of my delight in your Dave was watching him win your Mum round.
let's face it he had the most difficult, tricky mother-in-law of all time! It was such a joy to hear Hilly tell me several times what a great father Dave was.
It was mainly that fatherly skill that won her round but his tenacity and individuality won her admiration of him too.
Me? well I've always gone for quirky and unusual men!!
Maybe we do have something in common -

My Roger was only 54 and me 48 when he died and though no two events and folks reactions are ever the same or comparable a small part of me knows your pain and the emptiness that will be part of your life from now on,
so, for now I suggest, just go with the flow of arrangements and the love and admiration such a lot of folk have for Dave.

Pat.

Patti Singleton
Malvern
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

Harry Mellor

Hands up its Harry Mellor

Post by Harry Mellor » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:38 am

Well Mr. Higson - I know its been years but it was so sad to read of your untimely death and I send my heart-felt condolences to all your family.

Sitting here with WiFi on Seven Mile Beach at the end of a long day, drinking cocktails (maybe you paid for them in a round-about Madoff way), most unusually for me I felt a pang of guilt.

Having left the canoeing scene precipitously in the late 70s (hated water and just couldn't put up with that 'popular folk hero' Sadingly(?) chap any longer), I soon retargeted my talents in other, more lucrative, directions.

Reading how your life developed it appears that myself and that cheeky David Rushfirth did a fair job in preparing you - at least in your formative years. Apparently you have done sterling work in carrying forward mischievous behaviour to new levels and for many decades.

Mr. Higson - having let you carry the can for years, I just had to set the record straight - them dominos, that ringleader night, tents filled with hay, that roaming bog tent and lots more - it was 'me wot done it'. And I apologise for leaving unnecessary stains on an otherwise exemplary career.

Anyway Mr. Higson, Centaur of the River Goyt, you must have been a great chap indeed to get me to hold my hands up - RIP

Harry (Mellor)

ps: does anybody know if the Cranford Tea Rooms in Knutsford is still doing business - havn't been able to get back to the UK for a good spell.
Last edited by Harry Mellor on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

irishillery

Re: Dave Higson has left us

Post by irishillery » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:02 am

I haven’t seen Dave for nearly thirty years, but when Martin phoned me to tell me of his untimely death it immediately brought back those days in Leicester when he shared a house with his fellow students, including Martin and JT. Although not a member of Leicester Poly bike club, Dave often went out with us, and during the University holidays (longer than the Poly!) I sometimes stayed at the house and cooked meals for everyone. They each gave me some money and I would spend hours in the kitchen (somewhat limited facilities!) experimenting. They ate enormous amounts of everything, even the dishes I regarded as failures! One day, Dave’s dad arrived to pick him up and noticing a women’s magazine lying about enquired as to its owner. “Oh, that”, replied Dave, “that’s the housekeeper’s”. Mr Higson was left with the impression that students were so well off these days, they could afford staff. Or maybe not….. Ours was the party referred to in Wilby's post - my friend Julie and I had a flat above the florists in Mostyn Street (long gone). Higgie was great fun to be with, a great friend to have by you and reading the other comments on this site will be sadly missed by all his friends. Very sincere condolences to his family. Iris Hillery (Barnard Castle)

Dave Manby

Re: that roof rack

Post by Dave Manby » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:29 pm

Looks like that damage waive was a good thing to sign!

Any way get the roof rack out the way and head for the Bar was the only solution

Dave Manby

Re: Dave Higson and Sammy sax

Post by Dave Manby » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:30 pm

Sorry about the water on the lens!

Dave Manby

Re: Dave Higson in Costa Rica and France (I think)

Post by Dave Manby » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:36 pm

Surfing the wave called "the Brew"
Laughing at the amount the river had risen
and as always Neil Hands on hips looking on - that's manual work you could get your hand's dirty!

A wezzit for the old brigade. (n.b. it was march and cold I think if the slide was in the right place)

Phil Stevo

Ashby Parties

Post by Phil Stevo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:58 pm

I think Mr McTurk has photographic evidence of Mr. Higson by the afore mentioned extruded roundabout on Gatfield's property looking as pleased as punch. Perhaps we are reaching the point of 'beyond all reasonable doubt'.

Stevo

Croft

Re: Dave Higson wezzit in France

Post by Croft » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:09 pm

Dave Manby wrote:A wezzit for the old brigade. (n.b. it was march and cold I think if the slide was in the right place)
Ubaye gorge??? - I wasn't there that time but I did receive the postcard - which was covered in pizza (anchovies and all) - signed by all the lads - and saying simply - bon appetit! Our postman almost chundered.
Last edited by Croft on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

Grumpy Fisherman

Re: Dave Higson in France

Post by Grumpy Fisherman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Croft wrote:
Dave Manby wrote:A wezzit for the old brigade. (n.b. it was march and cold I think if the slide was in the right place)
Ubaye gorge??? - I wasn't there that time but I did receive the postcard - which was covered in pizza (anchovies and all) - signed by all the lads and saying simply - bon appetit! Our postman almost chundered.
I'd have said Guardian Angel...?

jongat

Re: Ashby Parties

Post by jongat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:27 pm

Phil Stevo wrote:I think Mr McTurk has photographic evidence of Mr. Higson by the afore mentioned extruded roundabout on Gatfield's property looking as pleased as punch. Perhaps we are reaching the point of 'beyond all reasonable doubt'.

Stevo
Nice - but I think we can avoid posting the photo of that particular reminder of years gone by on this forum.

It does however look like the Phantom is unmasked. The episode has also reminded me that Croft slept that night in the bath (and not alone). No wonder he had a bad back for the next two decades....

Phil Stevo

Ashby Parties Continued

Post by Phil Stevo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:09 pm

THE INCIDENT OF GATFIELD’S HOUSE WRECKING PARTY AND THE CRAZED KARATE BLACK BELT

Jongat was leaving another house in Ashby so he called a house wrecking party. We all met in a local pub, believe it or not, where Gatfield introduced us to one of his house-mates and told us he was a black belt in karate. So instead of the more formal handshake TinTin gave him a karate chop in the throat to test his martial arts credentials. Unfortunately Black Belt really didn’t see the funny side of this welcome.

Anyway, on with the frivolities with Baby Face leading the singing accompanied by the bagpipes (aka the pub’s vacuum cleaner). I can’t remember if we were chucked out of this one or if it was a more respectable exit but on we went Gatfield’s house.

After playing the usual house party first game of ‘hide your own booze and hunt out everyone else’s stash’ things really got underway. Higson then announced the commencement of the dry shredded wheat eating contest from the cereals found in the kitchen cupboard. From my rather hazy recollection I think Lockton won the contest, which is credible because once behind those teeth the only way out is down for the shredded wheat!

Unfortunately the shredded wheat belong to Black Belt who didn’t seem to have the same sense of communal partying the rest of us were sharing (must probably and understandably due to his earlier experience in the pub). So Black Belt tells us all, with a fair bit of venom, what he really thinks of us for stealing his shredded wheat and storms off upstairs and shuts himself in his bedroom, the small one at the front of the semi.

Higson then hatches a cunning plan to retrieve the Black Belt situation. Perhaps if we put together an Anger Management Team and go and deliver some counselling to him this would surely help the situation? So Higson, Twill and yours truly go and join Black Belt in his now rather crowded bedroom. Unbelievably the counselling had the exact opposite affect of its intention culminating in Black Belt screaming “get out of my ****ing room now” with a very scary look in his eyes.

Baby Face grabs the door handle to make good our escape but unfortunately the handle comes off its spindle. Then in a moment of sheer comic genius Higgy looks at the handle in his hand, looks at the open window and tosses the handle outside, effectively trapping us all in the bedroom. The funny side of this action was somewhat lost on Black Belt who’s angerometer’s needle hits the red.

Twill then decides it is safer to risk an un-roped decent of the front of the house than stay in the bedroom with Black Belt and disappears out of the first floor window. I looked out expecting to see a mangled, bloody clump of Twill on the deck, but he was nowhere to be seen. There was then a very tense silence in the bedroom, fortunately broken by the patter of Twill’s footsteps coming up the stairs to execute our rescue ……. phew!

If Black Belt by any chance reads this I’d just like to say Higson was a really decent guy but could never resist ‘aving a laarff’.

I think that's the last of my printable reminisces.

Dave (Baby Face) Higson – HE DID IT ……….. HHHHHHHIS WAY - and aren’t we all better off that he did!!!

Stevo

Mrs Animal

Post by Mrs Animal » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:56 pm

“HELLO playmates, anyone coming out to play?

I am glad someone has added the gun touting yardie incident in Brixton.

Dave came to one party at mine with rent a mob on tow. My landlord/Ratmate was displeased by the ratio of his friends to mine. The fact that we were still partying as dawn was breaking over Kennington did not please him either. So he started clearing up amongst the debris of the party which was in full swing. In his anger Ratmate breaks a couple of plates by accident. Higson approaches him to as I thought calm the situation. “Hey mate, I can do that”. Flat mate hands Dave the plates which Dave takes and then proceeds to smash into his forehead and break. The place goes hysterical and Dave’s antics are followed by some of the rest of the drunken party following suit. Needless to say I was homeless soon after and sleeping on Dave’s floor.

HelsbyG

Post by HelsbyG » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Higgy

The Legend of Dave Higson is slowly being told, a giant of a man is so many ways. As many others are finding it is actually pretty difficult to find the words to adequately express their loss, for myself I will simply say that I shall miss him greatly.

I have known Dave man & boy we first started paddling together as kids of a mere 13/14 years of age. Of course it is well known that Dave got a tremendous amount of pleasure out of his canoeing in its various forms over the years. It has been an honour and a pleasure to have spent so much of this precious time together.

"I did it my way" and he generally did.
Last edited by HelsbyG on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Turner

Post by Adam Turner » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:14 pm

We first spotted Dave shortly after moving into our new house in 2004 tri-cycling past our house, with Bob the dog in tow. This caused much excitement amongst our son. We soon spoke to Dave and Laura. OUr son Isaac is disabled and after admiring Dave's trike they suggested we get one for Isaac. A few months later and Park Road/Belmont Road had two tri-cyclists (Sale's first three wheeled cycling club!). Sadly we have no stories of Dave breaking the law, although being a City fan is soon to become a criminal offence. We were only just getting to know Dave and hope we will continue to get to know Laura, Maeve and Lily. We will miss Dave and his sense of humour (and interest in Isaac, with whom he had a real affinity). Isaac says Dave has gone up to heaven on his trike. Hope the roads are good up there.

HelsbyG

Post by HelsbyG » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Rescue - all in a days work for a super hero

Dave was well known for his adventures infact if anything depicts the man more vividly for me it was his ability to “attract adventures” wherever he went, most of which are now being told on these pages. For my part I have joined many but not all of Daves escapades. Here is one such story probably not known by many so I will share it with you now.

"You would get a telephone call and hear the imortal words -> Remember the Alamo"

Fresh Lamb For Supper Saga:
It must have been around the time of the Alamo that Higgy, Beecroft junior and myself ventured once more to Grandtully, well we set off anyway. Because we were travelling in Daves car the inevitable happened, you all know what that means. Well once we had fixed the car a bit we were arriving very late late nigh, the early hours of the morning driving down the road from Aberfeldy to Grandtully when we spotted something strange off to our left.

Being the adventurous types we pulled over to investigate. Low & behold there was a vehicle “very badly parked” 20 foot down the embankment lights on and no sign of life. Ok we scrambled down to investigate and to our horror there was indeed an occupant!! No mobile phones in those days guys. Anyway turns out he was trapped, drunk & had decided to go to sleep. Damn fool had been on the lash in Aberfeldy and was now pinned at the bottom of a ditch by the seat of his car which had slid forward on impact and pinned his feet. Of course we got him out and then had to take him home, uh hu. So this guy seemed kind-of normal and was living up on the hill to the right with his mates, they were forestry commission. So we drove, and drove and drove. When we finally arrived there were four of them & three of us.

We were invited to stay, had a few beers & gotten to talking. Turns out the “forestry team” were up on the hills every day planting “little trees”, ahhhh. They were paid by the hectare or something. So as the early hours wore on it turns out that one of them did not like sheep, why you may ask ? Well the little cuddly sheep keep eating the “little trees”, hmm. So what do you do ? Well they did infact teach the sheep a lesson, a permanent lesson, one that they would not forget. And we all dinned on lamb chops. Lovely. So we slept in the shack with the sheep murdering psychopaths, not exactly in fear of our lives but frankly not too sure of our company.

Early next morning we escaped and disproved the myth that you can’t bump start an automatic, cos you can. We bump started higgys car at 40 mph down a damn near vertical dirt track, well frankly we had to get it done.

And I am pretty sure the rest of the week at Grandtully was action packed as well !!

The best of times ..........

HelsbyG

Post by HelsbyG » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Trouble !! What trouble ! :-)

Hey Jackass was the cry from a disgruntled passenger who had just had his “religious artifact” mercilessly crushed by Higgy trying to stow his hand luggage with his usual delicate touch. Leading to a slight altercation whereby we had to correct the gentleman’s language more than once, and narrowly missed being ejected from the return flight from Kathmandu Nov 07. I did find myself standing up for higgy on more than one occasion over the years, not to mention the Marple chippy skirmish. That boy's got talent.

Mcturks stag weekend in Amsterdam
- don't they all look smart in those tuxedo's
- and don't they look mean after a night on the roulette wheel
- and then sleeping in the "life boats", my kids still don't believe we actually did this !!

Jo-K

Post by Jo-K » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Some photo's (now I think I've worked out how to do it !)

1989 River Sanna Landeck Austria
Evidence of river runs in a competition spec. polo boat. We stopped off in Austria between the Gorizia (Italy) & Essen (Germany) International Canoe Polo Comps. We did Ausberg the next day.................never did find the ball ! ! !

1991-ish Amsterdam International

The string vest years

ninakou

Post by ninakou » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:06 pm

From Claudy -

Ali called me from Iran to tell me the news of Dave's death. But he could not tell me then. He called finally again a few days later from the UK and broke the news.

I met Dave around 1983/4 when Ali with whom I lived then in Edinburgh set me up with a "bunch" of his Liverpool pals who were travelling to Aberfelde for a canoeing week-end. Ali was working that night and so I met Dave, JP, Clare Grizz (I think you were there) on my own in the Edinburgh Engine Room. That was a sharp introduction to Iggy's world! First, I could not understand a word he said ... for a "bloody foreigner" like me, Iggy's talks and jokes remained a mystery for quite some time ... I don't think I had had so much beer ever before that night - or after!!! We came back very late that night, Iggy was hungry and he emptied the jam of one of the tenants ... a terrifying Jamaican (Sonia, for the record) according to Ali. Iggy spent the rest of the night coming up with an apology for Sonia who played the game. He looked like a huge hang-overed Winnie-the-pooh caught red handed in the honey jar that morning!

Of course, over the years I kept meeting Dave when he shared Beirut (thanks Fix for the reminder of the bomb shelled place ...!!) in Brixton with JP, Ali, Nick, Helen (who also recently died, I am so glad she is on one of the pictures I found whilst searching for Iggy's photos) and a few visiting guest stars. I seem to remember the night when Laura and Dave went out for dinner to decide whether they should be married or not -Did I make that one up? Dave made me laugh, with his falling tooth, his wild embraces with Ratface, his braces and bow tie, his attempts at speaking French, his boldness, his singing. I seem to remember his first attempts at the saxophone too, SO00000000000 determined. He impressed me with the drinking and the canoieng!

I'd not seen Dave in ages, but Ali gave me news regularly ... I read this blog and I am amazed ... can anyone have that much fun in ONE life and share it with so many people?

Laura, Maeve, Lilly .. take care and cherish the memories.

ps - I have pictures but cannot understand how to post them!

HelsbyG

Post by HelsbyG » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:48 pm

Ringleaders Night Mid 70’s
Memoir’s from the MCC ring-leaders night, to put the record straight.

The canoeing career of Mr Higson could have easily been curtailed at an early age, read on.

I think we must have been about 16 years old or something like that. Marple Slalom of some sort in the mid 70’s. Well we’d been up the road and had a few “sherberts”. Not being very used to “sherbert” things were getting a bit feisty. Hugh Sadingtons tent had been earlier filled with grass, just for a laugh and the boys were out for a good time oblivious to all the sleeping committee members dreaming of clean runs in the morning. Dave was seen to fall apparently over a guy rope, but I have to confess that my nicking his crutches was probably the main cause of the tumble, anyway the tent came down. We rode the rapids in the judges umbrellas which by the way make a fine craft so long as you don’t catch the spike on the bottom.

Suffice to say their was trouble ahead !!

Yes, a full MCC committee disciplinary was called, Ms Chambers, Higson & Helsby were named as the “ringleaders” and the date set. Nervous, well maybe a little !! So after much deliberation the committee reduced the charge from “bringing the club into disrepute” to “youthful high spirit” and that’s official. Much of the success for the dramatic turn around is said to be down to Pete Mansell who unsolicited spoke on our behalf and carried the day.

The term “youthful high spirit” could be applied to most of Dave’s life sometimes to devastating effect, ask the Greater Manchester surveying department.

HelsbyG

Post by HelsbyG » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:01 am

A collection of short stories
Playing Canoe Polo for MCC Dave came blasting up to some young female who had the ball. She became so scared that she just gave him the ball accompanied by a small squeal. Ball in on hand, wash from approach, arm around female, Higgy leans across and gives her a kiss on the cheek. Frankly the referee did not know whether to laugh or blow !

Dave with a touch of the showman was an early pioneer of karaoke his favourite seemed to be the Frank Sinatra version of “My Way” and I can still see him now tunelessly sallying forth with “I did it myyyy waaaay”. Well he certainly did.

Dave Higson could get away with saying things that normal folks would not even dream of. I always put this down to his character, charm & effervescent wit. Of course he could also come over as a little blunt, a rough diamond in anyone’s book but this was a big part of his charm. And of course like the rough diamond, highly sought after and of great value.

Higgys Dad would boil “the pants” of a morning to warm them up before first runs, then higgy would slip into them all warm and steaming. No one else would touch them & to be fair Bert did use a stick.

You don’t get shoulders like that being an accountant; he’s a dustbin man ……
- it was thus that Higgy scuppered one of Duncans romantic adventures at one f the Liverpool parties

Do you like chicken …………..
- you know the punch line & if you don’t I am not going to tell you

Young tigers, that’s what my Dad would call us when Dave came around.

Remember the Alamo.
Last edited by HelsbyG on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

HelsbyG

Post by HelsbyG » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:02 am

A couple of car breaking Sagas
One evening Dave phoned from his Dads house cos he lived just round the corner from our house, I'll get some chinese & bring it around. So I am up in my room and higgy comes around the corner swerves to miss a parked car, hits the accelerator (by mistake), completes the full circle & ploughs into Mrs Greens wall. When I get down there the chinese food is all over the seats and we push the car off, down the road where it proceeds to leak oil all over my dads drive.

Off course we ate the Chinese & Higgy re-built the wall which is where his world famous brick-laying talent originated from (as straight as a wobbly thing). We then spent the next few weeks straightening & fixing the car on our drive. I then got bollocked for all the oil.

Coming back from Crystal Palace canoe exhibition, car full just driving along, hit one of those low-posts they used to have. Two seconds & we absolutely “totalled” the poor car. I have never seen so much damage by such a small post

HelsbyG

Post by HelsbyG » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:46 am

A bunch of fond memories to share with all the rest
Image-------Image

+++++++++++++Baby Face +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Naught Boys go for Gold at Sort+++++++

Image----------Image

++++++++++++++++Rain Monster ++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Higgys best canoeing pants !!+++++++

Image-------Image

++++++++A hard days boating on the Sun Kosi ++++++++++++++++++++++++ Sooty goes to town ++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Mean Gangsters or Just Freezing Cold ?? +++++++++++++++

Image---------Image

++++++++++Higson&Helsby on the Tamaur 05+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Arriving in Khatmandu +++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Which way to the nearest curry house ? Nepal 05 +++++++++++++++

petemansell

Post by petemansell » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:38 pm

Ringleaders Night Mid 70’s

I was at the committee meeting when this grave incident came up. I think one of the Cheatham brothers (John?) was also involved. After much discussion, Maurice said he had 4 letters to read out. Those from 3 ringleaders all denied any wrong doing. The fourth (who I won't name) wrote on behalf of his friends apologising for all the trouble they had caused!

A classic MCC committee moment!

Twill

Re: This Friday night

Post by Twill » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:28 pm

If you are coming across to Manchester and fancy a beer this Friday night there will be a few of us in the Leigh Arms in Sale Moor. This is the pub at the bottom of Conway Road where Dave and Laura lived before Park Ave, scene of yet another "Mystery Singer" episode at one of the livelier BBQs.

I'm on 07711 018812 if you want to check. Hope to see you there.

Radar

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:25 pm

I never met Dave, in fact I'd never heard of him until this news came up. I wish I had met him - clearly one of life's "characters" and it certainly seems like he's helped a lot of people create a lot of memories. What a wonderful thing to have done.

Mike.

Croft

Re: Photos Posted on Behalf of Claudy Vouhé

Post by Croft » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:15 am

johnpaul

Post by johnpaul » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Sitting here in fronty of the computer thousands of miles from home and feeling completely and utterly that I should be with you all to first mourn him and then to celebrate him tomorrow I just want to say a MASSIVE thank you to whoever started this website. A day has not passed where I have not been on to see the next posting. Like everyone the disbelief has now of course turned to painful sorrow but this blog has made me laugh so bloody loud and long and it has really helped me to grieve as we all should as well as to celebrate the big bugger for the enormous character he was.

Laura Maeve and Lily I know you read this so I just want to say I wish I could be with you tomorrow to give you huge huge hugs. Not just for you but cos I need them as well! We will try and set up the international connection but if it fails I will be truly be with you in spirit if not in person. Send him off well.

JP xxx

HanandDan

Post by HanandDan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:44 pm

Hanna:
I just wanted to write about some of my memories which are canoeing related, although I have of course seen Dave canoe many times not only in the sea in Devon but most recently in November when we came to visit and he was in a race in the river near the house.

The Dave I knew is the family man, loving husband to my sister Laura and devoted father to Maeve and Lily.

I have known Dave since I was about 11 when he and Laura got together, so he it feels like he has pretty much been a part of all our family. I remember clearly sitting in Mum and Dad’s bed when Dave and Laura told us she was pregnant with Maeve and I thought it was pretty cool to be an Auntie at 12.

I don’t really have any crazy stories to tell what has struck me most is how happy he made Laura and how much he loved his family, happily driving the girls across the country to pursue their sporting achievements. I also remember a birthday party (I think it was Lily’s) where Dave slept in Ladybird Lodge (a large wooden children’s play house for those who haven’t seen it) so that the girls wouldn’t get scared out in the garden alone, that was the kind of dad Dave was!

Dan and myself where lucky enough to have just spent a lovely Christmas together with the Tatham, Higham, Higson family in our flat in London. Although there were 9 of us squashed into a 3 bed flat we had a fantastic time and I don’t think there were any arguments even. We spent a brilliant 4 days playing monopoly, walking in Brockwell park (Dave’s old stomping ground) and going for the odd drink in the dodgiest pub in Tulse Hill where of course Dave felt right at home. This made the shock of his passing even harder as it was only a week or so before that he had been sitting on our sofa in his favourite Christmas presents his buoyancy aid and his umbrella hat (see photo evidence above). I am not sure if this was because he was worried it might rain so much in Streatham that he might need to swim. Maeve had a bought the umbrella hat for him and had a bet with a friend as to whether their Dad’s would wear their presents; you can bet that Dave would! We spent some time together in the kitchen over a ‘cuppa’ and it was with pride and admiration that Dave spoke of Laura and her new gym junkie routine, we spoke about how you can have known and loved someone for so many years and they can still surprise you.
For me it is really hard to put into words what I feel as it is a real mix of shock and sadness. Somehow it just feels flat to try and put into word the kind of person Dave was as he was so full of energy and go and words just don’t seem to go far enough in trying to explain that. All I know is that there will be a massive hole which cannot be filled and he will be truly missed especially on the family get-togethers!

Dan:
How do I know Dave? Other than the memories Hanna has mentioned above I was really looking forward to having Dave as a future brother in law. His legendry partying and good humour will be missed at my stag party. I’m gutted I will no longer have another male in the family (of seven women) who I can pop out for a sneaky beer with. I know that he will leave a big space in the family and that this family it really going to miss him!

Dominique Mohr

Post by Dominique Mohr » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:57 am

Many thanks to the people who set up this site.
It made being far away and not being able to pay last respects to Hig tomorrow, just a little bit more bearable. He will be so missed..
This week since...feels like the longest week ever...
All my love to Laura, Maeve and Lilly

johnpaul

Post by johnpaul » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:18 am

[quote="Dominique Mohr"]Many thanks to the people who set up this site.
It made being far away and not being able to pay last respects to Hig tomorrow, just a little bit more bearable. He will be so missed..

know how you feel! JP