Beginner video

Rivers south of Glasgow
linglie

Beginner video

Post by linglie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:34 pm

1st post on this site and a wee video of myself and a mate coming down the Ettrick from Collins bridge to Selkirk. We played it safe and decided against the Manse Falls as water too big and only two of us. I've only been paddling for 6 months but seem to be doing OK but need more experience. I've been pretty much the length of the Tweed, on different runs, from Innerleithen to Kelso, including Fairnilee and Makerstoun. Ettrick and Yarrow are right on the doorstep so always loitering around there. Still not been through the banana slide though, again due to my inexperience and safety in numbers but swimming less (only 1 in the last three months due to spray deck pinging off) and the roll is getting better on the river.

I'm the one with the camera on the helmet so no laughing please.

PolecatApollo

Re: Beginner video

Post by PolecatApollo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:28 am

Good video. The bottom of Ettrick cauld no bad for holding you in? I portaged but was running solo.

Me and my friend ran the banana slide blind, both ended up swimming and one boat lost haha, found it at generals bridge.

linglie

Post by linglie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:05 pm

The cauld that day was pumping on our normal line, just to river left of the ladder so we opted to go far out to the right as they've put rocks at the base on river right of the ladder so had to miss those.
I got caught at the bottom of the cauld the week previous and took a swim. It was dead shallow but flipped me and my deck imploded.

Losing a boat is my worry. I usually borrow my mates Mamba and terrified I take a swim and the boat disappears away downstream. Just bought a used Jackson 4fun so want to try to get that out some more for a bit of playing. Still have loads to learn but enjoying myself big style.

linglie

Post by linglie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:53 pm

Have now been through the banana slide, twice. First time capsized with a bang to the helmet, second time success, WOOHOO. Image

PolecatApollo

Post by PolecatApollo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:58 am

Good effort. We were there on Friday, a lot of strainers further up stream!

PM'd you a video of the local rivers from last year.

linglie

Post by linglie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:25 pm

Seen your vid a few times when I was looking for Borders paddling vids. The bit at 10 secs, is that above Makerstoun at Rutherford? Some bits in yours that are in mine from today. Went down the Ettrick but skipped the Manse Falls. Not enough water so very rocky. Maybe next time. Starting to get the hang of this kayaking malarkey lol.

PolecatApollo

Post by PolecatApollo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Yeah that's the place, If the waters a bit higher than it is in the video the first wave disappears but the second gets nice and big. Had a wee surf on them yesterday, bit if it spits you out it's hard to get back on... for us anyway. Nice video, what level was the water? We usually just run the makerstoun stretch if there's not been rain but looks like the Ettricks still runable?

linglie

Post by linglie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:44 pm

It was running at 0.8 at Lindean and 0.5 at Brockhoperig but dropping. Manse falls was felt to be too low and I'm a bit crapper than iI think i am, so gave that a miss but the rest was great fun picking a line through the rocks.
Got a right hammering at Makerstoun last week when the water was up. Two swims and smacked about a bit on the rocks.
Was down at Rutherford on Friday but so sore from the previous week I was worse than useless. Need to get fit I think.