St Marys loch off limits?

Rivers south of Glasgow
PolecatApollo

St Marys loch off limits?

Post by PolecatApollo » Sat May 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi, fairly new to kayaking, got myself a crossover kayak. Will be spending time in the tweed and trips up to loch lomond. Fancied a large flat body of water to paddle for regular fitness. Based in Galashiels I though St Marys loch would be ideal to do a few laps of but Ive herd kayaks are not allowed (Through word of mouth, I couldnt find any information online). The same said for Megget. Or do I have 'right to roam'? Is this true? If so what are my alternatives? Ideally I dont want to be restricted to a little loch. Loch of the Lowes perhaps?

Cheers

ayrshireboy

Re: St Marys loch off limits?

Post by ayrshireboy » Sat May 10, 2014 9:50 pm

http://visitstmarysloch.org.uk/activities/water-sports/
According to web site no problem for water sports.

mintokames

Post by mintokames » Sun May 11, 2014 7:26 am

Hi

I've often paddled at St.Mary's with no issues, and know others that have as well. Never heard of any issues. Have always launched from a layby, and not from the Sailing Club. Megget *may* be slightly different because of the dam and Scottish Water, but I suspect if you keep to the far end you would be fine. Never seen anyone paddle on Megget.

You sometimes have to watch for the fishermen at St.Mary's, but never had any issues, and there's plenty room for everyone. I usually try and give them plenty space.

Regards

Rob

Notters

Post by Notters » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:22 am

There's no issue with kayaking on St Mary's or the Megget, I think you,ve maybe read something about the sailing club? I've paddled on both and Talla. Good for just pottering around with the family and rolling practice or just general distance/fitness stuff. Scottish water only had an issue when I tried to make a descent of the Talla spillway during the winter when the man said I breached SW's health and safety policy, he would'nt even take the bribe of a peanut kitkat either!!
Notters@Team_Borders

Paddle-Duo

Post by Paddle-Duo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Can only agree with Ryan.

I've kayaked on St Mary's Loch and Loch of the Lowes with no issues. Lovely place for a leisurely play about.

Return to “Scotland - Southern Uplands”