Canyoning

Rivers 'near' Perth
jaybob

Canyoning

Post by jaybob » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi Guys,

Dont know if anyone is using this that will answer this question but here goes.

Living in Glasgow at the moment and just started Canyoning,
Been climbing for over 10years and recently got myself a wetsuit and did the Bracklinn also the falloch upper.

Looking for some info on what would be good suitable rivers to plunge.

Cheers

RobinCole

Re: Canyoning

Post by RobinCole » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Try the rumbling bridge gorge at the A823 near the pool of muchart just beyond tillicoutry.
robin

callum s

Re: Canyoning

Post by callum s » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Growing up in highland perthshire and being an obsessive kayaker has meant I have walked up a lot of the tiny wee burns in the areas around Crieff and Aberfeldy.

Barvick burn, a small tributary of the Turret near Crieff is an awesome canyoning section, very very steep and interesting gorge.
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=56.399275, ... 5&t=h&z=14

The Devils Cauldron waterfall and associated gorge near Comrie on the Lednock Burn is a great place to explore http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=56.384547, ... 5&t=h&z=15

The Turret Gorge near Crieff is another cool place, the gorge downstream of the Hydro input pipe is good for canyoning in low water, no big waterfalls but really deep walled in gorge. Falls of Turret just upstream is two waterfalls, the first is big and scary but there is a wee path into the gorge between them, and you can climb down the second one and carry on down the gorge.

Urlar Burn in Aberfeldy has a great section of gorged in waterfalls to climb up/down (Birks o' Aberfeldy).

The Bruar near Blair Atholl is a classic canyoning section.

The Allt Girnaig flows into the Garry near Killiecrankie from the NW, a steep sided gorge which could be fun to explore (I didnt have ropes so could only peer in).