Mark R

River Teith

Post by Mark R » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 am

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

WaterStillScaresMe

Re: River Teith

Post by WaterStillScaresMe » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:44 pm

At a point very very roughly halfway between Callander and the layby get-out there is currently (last week) a full tree fallen across very very roughly half of the river (river right). No issue for those with any moving water experience, but as this seems to be known as a beginners trip and because it's not normally there it's a potential danger if a leader isn't paying attention.

Later (still before the layby) there are a set of small islands preceeded by a very obvious very large boulder. The main channel initially appears to be river left, but this gradually narrows (making communication more difficult) and water flows fairly strongly between the islands over to river right. Once again not a big issue for those with experience at normal river levels but I know of one potentially (but not actually) bad incident here where a beginner was washed/capsized against driftwood on the top of one of the islands - and another where an open with beginners was close to a similar event.

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks for that as I paddle it regularly.I have paddled it at night and weekends for 4 years and never heard of any car crime ?

steve crofts

Post by steve crofts » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:15 pm

If anyone is continuing down the Leny to the car park at Callander or indeed starting a run on the Teith at the Lade Inn put in be aware that there are trees right across the river width at Sheet 57 grid 617078. It is a difficult corner to get out in a hurry and you are on the trees very quickly and if the level is high they are a potential killer