Rope issues on the Arkaig.

Rivers 'near' Fort William
Joobe

Rope issues on the Arkaig.

Post by Joobe » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:13 pm

We paddled the the Arkaig today in rather high water (paddled down the road to get in). A short distance after the 'main event' rapid there were two thick ropes strung across the river that were rather unnoticeable and resulted in several issues; a swimmer badly hurt their neck getting trapped around it, resulted in several capsizes, one swim, and two damaged spray decks - not fun. We have since cut the rope free from the river right bank but it is still attached on river left. I am aware there could be some repercussions of doing this from the land owners, but quite frankly the rope was a severe risk with the potential for fatality if things went wrong (we consider ourselves very luck). I am going to contact the SCA with the same information to let them know about this as well.

Cheers, Joe.

Mike Dales

Re: Rope issues on the Arkaig.

Post by Mike Dales » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:13 pm

This was a very serious incident that could have ended in tragedy. The recklessness & stupidity of the person who suspended a rope across this river is unbelievable. Well done for flagging it up on UKRGB & for reporting it to the SCA. Cutting the rope may well have saved the life of the next paddler down the river, so in the circumstances I think that most paddlers would have acted in the same way. As well as reporting to the SCA & posting on UKRGB, my advice to anyone coming across a dangerous impediment to access like this is to report it to the Police. Barriers like this have the potential to injure & kill, so inform the Police & they are likely to take such reports very seriously.

StephMoss

Post by StephMoss » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks for posting this up Joobe. Had wondered about the rope on a previous trip, seems to have been there for some time. Also seen similar ropes/fences across other rivers that don't seem to serve any real purpose. Would be interesting to hear from anyone who actually knows the legality surrounding this practice. I.e. are they allowed to be there? Can we, as water users lawfully cut them', or request/demand they are removed, as they seem only to serve as a hazard & with no other practical (or outweighting) purpose?

One example, the river Cree, has at least 2 locations where pointless 3-4mm wires seem to be tied from bank to bank, really cannot see a purpose to these other than to make water users lives a nightmare.

neil.farmer

Post by neil.farmer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:55 am

Some of these wires maybe parts of fences that stop livestock from moving from fieild to field at lower water than we paddle, especially the Cree. They should be better signed though.
Neil Farmer (from mobile)

StephMoss

Post by StephMoss » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:55 pm

I wondered that Neil but the're just wires... not near enough to the river bed to serve a purpose in low water and if you'd seen them they don't even look like a wire fence as found on dry land... just a long wire from back to bank. Strange.

StephMoss

Post by StephMoss » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:56 pm

By the way, just watched a comedy episode on BBC Iplayer... did you "get Your Own Back" on Bridges? Or another NF.

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 pm

StephMoss wrote:By the way, just watched a comedy episode on BBC Iplayer... did you "get Your Own Back" on Bridges? Or another NF.
That was me... I used to teach Kevin, still meet him in local pubs occasionally and he asked me to help out with a show, he is a decent guy, so it was a (sort of) pleasure!
Neil Farmer.

Return to “Scotland - West Highlands”