Garry Access

Rivers 'near' Fort William
daibhidh

Garry Access

Post by daibhidh » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:28 am

I was browsing through the Forestry Commission's website today (don't ask why) and came across a tool which shows what land they own across Scotland. I thought, just out of interest, that I'd have a wee look to see what they owned in and around the River Garry...

Interesting stuff...it looks like they own all of the access to the Garry get-in...
Dàibhidh
'S e caidheagair a th'annam; deagh spòrs!

chrisdickinson

Re: Garry Access

Post by chrisdickinson » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Nice one. I was challenged by a fisherman below White Bridge the other day who shouted that the fishing owner had agreed (with whom I am unclear) that paddlers would not go below White Bridge. I feel sure this is a product of rafting arrangements that have been construed by anglers to include anyone with a paddle. I explainmed that no-one owned the river in fact, only fishing rights and banks, and that no-one could agree away my right to paddle the stretch responsibly.
A/WWSR 4/5star (river & sea) with the best!

daibhidh

Post by daibhidh » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Quite right...and how did the fisherman respond, Chris?! :)
Dàibhidh
'S e caidheagair a th'annam; deagh spòrs!

chrisdickinson

Post by chrisdickinson » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Mutter, mutter, mutter!!

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:14 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post - the link from the Garry guidebook page which says
WATER LEVEL, ACCESS AND HAZARD UPDATES: Here.
no longer seems to actually be a link.

Anyway, paddled the Garry release yesterday, and the Glenmore Lodge bus we were using was driven into the yard at the top access to turn round (we had a trailer and it seemed less likely to block their access if we didn't spend five minutes doing a seventy three point turn...). The map above shows this isn't owned by the FC - it's just outside the boundary. Shortly later (after the minibus was on its way back to the take-out), we were accosted by a lady who quite politely informed us that we were no longer allowed to enter the yard, and would we please pass this information around ? Apparently "the boss" (her term) had taken exception to someone (presumably someone in some way associated with paddlesport, although this wasn't made clear) who had allegedly reported one of their drivers to the police for speeding. The result seems to be a breaking off of cooperation with all paddlers (although the lady did say that she appreciated that it was nothing to do with us personally).

Andy

chrisdickinson

Post by chrisdickinson » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:45 pm

They have asked folks not to go in the yard- essentially for health and safety reasons, which is reasonable.
Truthfully though, SCA would do better to negotiate with FC for land for a car park and access at the top.
I was there yesterday and it was incredibly busy, as busy as I have ever seen.
I have proposed Access Committee look at the most paddled rivers with a view to having a strategy to alleviate pressures
rather than taking a fire fighting approach, but there seemed to be not very much interest on the basis of "there's no longer any money out there". That suggests we either missed the money, or as was the case, misspent the guidebook proceeds. Any how the AJ fund which now properly gets guidebook funds could also part fund such an initiative. Chris, Adviser, Spean