Levels in May

Rivers 'near' Fort William
graemelomas

Levels in May

Post by graemelomas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi

I have only paddled this area of Scotland at around the Easter weekend period. This year my friends and I are having to go later, and are looking at the middle of May as a possibility.

Can anyone provide any general ideas on water levels in the Fort William area at this time of year, or know anywhere on the web I can find this sort of information?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nasty swimmer

Re: Levels in May

Post by Nasty swimmer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:10 pm

If it rains a lot the rivers will be high. If it doesn't rain a lot, they won't. The rest is in the hands of the weather gods.

Fort William has two good things going for it:
a) it usually rains some of the time in May (and sometimes it rains all of the time in May)
b) if it doesn't rain, there are several rivers nearby that can still be a bundle of fun, e.g. the middle Etive and the Roy and Spean gorges can be run with almost no water and the Garry (Invergarry) releases one day a week.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, the Meig gorge, north west of Inverness, has guaranteed compensation flow from the dam and must be the ultimate in giggle trips - it really is very, very silly.

And if there really is no water in the rivers there's always the Falls of Lora - salt water playboating at the mouth of Loch Etive.

Dug

Re: Levels in May

Post by Dug » Sat May 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Yeah your not as likely to get good levels but you still might. Just got to gamble, always the big/ dam release rivers as well though.

Return to “Scotland - West Highlands”