Water levels in Scotland, now & next week...

Rivers 'near' Fort William
'Whiskers

Water levels in Scotland, now & next week...

Post by 'Whiskers » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:17 pm

My club heading up there this weekend for 6 or 7 days of boating (or rock-bashing...?), just wondering if there is any local knowledge on current and predicted water levels...? I've heard things have been pretty good recently but starting to drop off. Hmmm, shall I pack my walking boots...

Either way, am looking forward to a break from work and some time out of the office. Thank God it's nearly Friday :-)
never stop exploring...

caveman_si

Re: Water levels in Scotland, now & next week...

Post by caveman_si » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Di have a look here for current water levels and to get an idea of what has been happening regarding water levels so you can get an idea of what the catchments are likly to do with some rain.

http://www.wheresthewater.com/ or

http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/river_leve ... _data.aspx

Have fun, just a shame Im not going to be catching you guys up there.

james fleming

Post by james fleming » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Monday through to Wednesday it was dry at Inverness.

Wednesday coming from Inverness to Stirling on the A9 it was dry, warm and sunny.

Today, Thursday, Aberdeen area and Dundee were dry warm and sunny.

In short, it’s dry warm and sunny.

Snow melt is your only option.

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:04 pm

I'd forget half of the boats personally and bring walking boots, bikes, maybe sea kayaks, sunglasses and all that jazz. You will have an awesome trip as long as you don't expect to get any kayaking done-there is LOADS of things to do up here, kayaking isn't one at the moment-OK it might suck if it is a paddling trip you had planned but instead of being dissapointed becuase the conditions suck I would just take different things to play with. "There's no such thing as bad weahter-only the wrong choice of toys!";-).

Hope you guys all have a great time whatever, the sun is shining, the mountains still have snow making it absolutely stunning and there is a sweet breeze in the air. Great stuff! Check out the tide times for fort william tailrace, it should be going soon and is an amazing powerfull play feature when it works-well worth the visit-look for a tide over 3.8m for corpach and if you are in luck get there for about an hour before high tide and watch it build.

Chris.
dam the dart :)

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:18 pm

I've found I've been wearing too many coats on my short walk to work over the last few days, it's been nice and dry, some might even say sunny.

Definitely prepare for a multi-activity week, but remember it is Scotland and 7 days is a long time to go with no rain here.

Scuba Dave

Post by Scuba Dave » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Probably not what you want to hear, but last week had some awesome water levels which certainly made a change, as I normally take the drought with me.

So I actually got to do some Scottish boating.

I'm sure it will pick up again soon, but if not, as fjf says theres plenty else to do.

Daffers

Post by Daffers » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:44 pm

I asked the same question a couple of days ago Di... got the same replys... Though a mate of David & Sharon's claims water levels are ok! Only time will tell...

Safe travels and see ya up there!
JP Lives Forever

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:40 pm

It don't look good. We looked at the Etive today, didn't paddle it as we didn't fancy bouncing off rock and carrying between the drops. On the plus side the weather is beautiful, bring your sun screen!
Mark Gawler

'Whiskers

Post by 'Whiskers » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:06 am

Oooh a sunny trip, yay :-) I will indeed bring my walking boots, sunscreen and hat. Shame the water is so low, but we'll see I guess!

Bah. How is it that EVERY time I go to Scotland it's low water? The *one time* water levels were good, I dislocated my shoulder on the second day - and we all know how those things go... Mind you, after Doug Ammon's talk last night, anything vaguely *hard* that I have ever paddled with a bit of water on it now seems like a pond, so what the hell...

I'm feeling a stomp up the Ben coming on...
never stop exploring...

Return to “Scotland - West Highlands”