RIVER MUICK

Rivers 'near' Aberdeen
Chris Redmond

River Muick

Post by Chris Redmond » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:07 pm

Paddled the river Muick today on High (1.061 on Sepa Gauge)

Came across some issues that im not sure whether or not people are aware of:

Just below the linn opposite Linn of Muick Cottage there is several trees blocking the whole river. There is no way through unless the river was higher. I managed to get a 1 boat eddy on river right to portage round.

Next I came across what looks like a new river wide electric fence. It was signposted with 3 warning signs ' Electric Fence ahead - on from Dawn to Dusk'. This is what stuck in my head but dont know what exactly it said. The fence spans the river at either Toldhu (346 913) or Alltcailleach (347 921). Think it was the second one but cant be certain. Its a pretty serious electric fence with one single wire coated in blue plastic piping with metal chains hanging down into the water at rougly 30cm intervals.

There was small eddies on river right before the fence but then when I came to the fence on the bank it was quite difficult getting over them without getting zapped. Is there an access issue here or am I just whinging?

Chris Redmond

Re: River Muick

Post by Chris Redmond » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Some pics of the Linn, would you run it?

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Chris Redmond wrote:Paddled the river Muick today on High (1.061 on Sepa Gauge)
Next I came across what looks like a new river wide electric fence. It was signposted with 3 warning signs ' Electric Fence ahead - on from Dawn to Dusk'. This is what stuck in my head but dont know what exactly it said. The fence spans the river at either Toldhu (346 913) or Alltcailleach (347 921). Think it was the second one but cant be certain. Its a pretty serious electric fence with one single wire coated in blue plastic piping with metal chains hanging down into the water at rougly 30cm intervals.

There was small eddies on river right before the fence but then when I came to the fence on the bank it was quite difficult getting over them without getting zapped. Is there an access issue here or am I just whinging?
I think you should report it to the SCA via the SCA Access Incident page and Mike Dales, the SCA access officer will look into it.
Neil Farmer.

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:18 am

That looks awesome, but scary, but amazing....good adventure/day out?

Ryan
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Chris Redmond

Post by Chris Redmond » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:10 am

Ok doke i'll let Mike Dales know.

Yeah it was a fun wee run, 32mm of rain by yesterday night and still raining through the night! First river since moving up here and it was bit like the Leny - that first half of the river you have the fear of impending doom untill you make that eddie above the falls! :)

Janson

RIVER MUICK

Post by Janson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Joobe

Re: RIVER MUICK

Post by Joobe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:31 pm

We ran this fall about a week or so ago, the gauge was at around 0.61 - here's some footage of the run Clicky. Apologise for the swearing...

We had heard stories about the pool being rather shallow, hence why Gregseh and Myself boofed it, resulting in some sore backs, Grahams run was very clean, and no where near touching anything. Anyway, enjoy the video.