River North Esk -Scout Camp to Edzell

Rivers 'near' Aberdeen
Rich Wood

River North Esk -Scout Camp to Edzell

Post by Rich Wood » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:02 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Dug

North Esk: Another Tree

Post by Dug » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:21 am

Another tree down on the North Esk. Just after where the little burn flows in river left after fish ladder falls. It goes all the way over the river but not on a rapid so you can see it coming. Prob be a portage when its not high.

Joobe

Re: North Esk: Another Tree

Post by Joobe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Do you know how big it is? May try and get it out next time we're on it.

Janson

RIVER NORTH ESK (Scout Camp to Edzell)

Post by Janson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Click here to go to the guide for this river

ps. This section was clear of trees the last couple of times I have run it (early Feb 2011)

Joobe

Re: RIVER NORTH ESK (Old Scout Camp to Edzell)

Post by Joobe » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Paddled the river today, there were two metal cables (or rope, I'm not too sure) spanning the river just above Triple Step (Rocks of Solitude). One of these was quite close to the river, a potential hazard in higher water.

AliMoon

Post by AliMoon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:52 pm

There's a tree on roughly the 3rd bimbly rapid after Presidents Corner, the one where it constricts and you need to be next to the gorge wall river right.

The tree itself has fallen above on the gorge but the branches are hanging over on to the river. At a decent medium level (Saturday) they weren't much of an issue (could duck under and paddler through) but a wee bit more water and it could be a bit a bit of an issue, especially since its not on a main rapid.

alanknox

Post by alanknox » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:17 pm

There is now a gate at the entrance for the low water get in (not shown in picture but is located at the white post sign). It is not locked but does have no vehicle access signs up . We still parked there but will try and get clarification if we can continue to do so.

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:19 am

From Ayron Comber (1/1/16):
If anyone's looking for half of the bridge that used to be at the Scout huts on the Esk it has been moved 2 or 3kms downstream and is now approx 100mtrs above S-Bend/Complex. It's not a problem at the moment but it could move with another spate.
Also the tree is still stuck above Fish Ladder but still passable.. A few other new bits of wood here and there, all avoidable but be cautious. There's a tree on the very last section just above the get out, it's right in the middle of the river but it's pointing downstream, not across the river so you can get past on the right.

Calum Peden (3/1/16):
The bridge was certainly not visible today my bet would be that it will have shifted and may well be wedged somewhere underwater downstream. I would recommend that anyone running it in the next few weeks keeps and eye out as it could easily have wedged in fish ladder or any of the other constrictions as it will have been bounced along the bottom of the river.
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:36 am

Daryn Hubbucks (16/1/16)
Tree in the water after the fishladder on N'esk, not a problem if you stay up right, but if you dont stay up right and have a dodgy roll id think twice on running it...
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!