RIVER FEUGH

Rivers 'near' Aberdeen
Janson

RIVER FEUGH

Post by Janson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:10 pm

kmac

Re: RIVER FEUGH

Post by kmac » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:09 am

Paddled the falls yesterday and had a few access hassles.Getting on: We had to climb over a 5ft padlocked gate with metal spikes,surrounded by barbed wire - be careful!Getting off: We don't recommend sneaking through the 'garden' behind the bridge. The woman who lives there is not worth your hassle, she will make you go back to the river and paddle/scramble/swim downstream. She doesn't take apologies and will ruin your day. Get off further down and negotiate more barbed wire across some fields (mind the cows) towards a large gate, also covered in barbed wire!

neil.farmer

Post by neil.farmer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:43 pm

To be fair, if it is someone's back garden they have a right to be annoyed! Are there alternative access/egress points within a reasonable paddle that can be used (avoiding gate?). If not, you should report this as an access issue via the SCA site or to the local access officer.
Neil Farmer (from mobile)

LSmith4285

Post by LSmith4285 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:37 pm

kmac wrote:Paddled the falls yesterday and had a few access hassles.Getting on: We had to climb over a 5ft padlocked gate with metal spikes,surrounded by barbed wire - be careful!Getting off: We don't recommend sneaking through the 'garden' behind the bridge. The woman who lives there is not worth your hassle, she will make you go back to the river and paddle/scramble/swim downstream. She doesn't take apologies and will ruin your day. Get off further down and negotiate more barbed wire across some fields (mind the cows) towards a large gate, also covered in barbed wire!
The last time I paddled these falls I got on river left up by following the road up and heading down the bank which didn't appear to be a garden, it just appears the be the verge off the road.

When we got off we got off river left and headed up under the bridge but that was probably considerably lower than yesterday. You could continue down to the Dee where you can find easier access points.

As Neil says, the lady has every right to be angry at you walking through her garden, I doubt many people would be best pleased.

Scottish Outdoor Access Code

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:30 pm

I feel I should clarify this. The "garden" is shown in this photo:

The house is about 200m to the right and has a cultivated garden around it. This is defined by a roughly 1m stone wall that cuts it off from this area under the trees. The area under the trees is NOT cultivated and is not obviously part of the property if you are coming from the river since you can't see the vast array of PRIVATE and KEEP OUT signs facing the road. There is no dividing wall between this area and the river. As far as I can tell from the access code this area would be classified as woodland and therefore access rights do apply.
I took this from google maps. The red line is approximately where the wall is around the property. This wall does extend all the way to the bridge so we did cross it. The blue line shows roughly where the paddlers walked up to the wall. We got two boats passed over the wall before the lady in question started shouting and the paddlers retreated to the river and had to swim around the corner. The photographer (me) and safety lines people came up through the trees right next to the bridge so we were even further away from her house.
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!

kmac

Post by kmac » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:41 pm

The lady had every right to be angry. The access here is being investigated as it is not very clear, hopefully something will come out of it and we'll all know what's best to not annoy the landowners again.