RIVER DON (Seaton Park slalom course section)

Rivers 'near' Aberdeen
clarky999

RIVER DON (Seaton Park slalom course section)

Post by clarky999 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Just below the slalom course at Seaton Park, the hig levels have brought a big tree down, and is currently blocking all of this channel with a massive strainer - in current flows if you wash onto it there isn't much you're gonna be able to do about it.

Also, on the other (main) channel, at current levels there is either a huge river wide hole or an awesome wave, I haven't been able to get close enough on the banks to see which, and frankly can't be bothered to drag my boat up there for a closer look.

Seedy Paddler

Re: Tree on the Don at Seaton Park

Post by Seedy Paddler » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:02 am

I was down dropping off boats at the AKC Container on Saturday and didn't see any trees right down across the chennel. Usual precarious trees that have branches reaching down to water level that are passable but a pain.

The weir will get a decent wave in high water but passage remains through the old main chute and the wave tends to be very flushy with very few eddies to let you get back up to surf. If very high there can be a grippy wave along the bottom of the weir - not a problem usually to paddle through - but very shallow and liable to hold and smear you on the weir face if you try to play in it sideways - forward surf and you are liable to plant your bow onto the weir concrete.

clarky999

Re: Tree on the Don at Seaton Park

Post by clarky999 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:52 pm

I think it may have been moved - sounded like people playing with chainsaws or soemthing around there the other day. It was a whole tree though, not just dangling branches.