Some more rivers

Rivers 'near' Inverness
stan2this

Some more rivers

Post by stan2this » Sat May 02, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi

In the course of my munro and corbett bagging, I have come across some rivers which might be worth paddling. There`s a bit too much information to put in a post on this forum, but you can see them on my website at http://www.my-web-base.com/canoeing/other-rivers.htm

They won`t be to everyones` taste, but might be worth looking at.

Nasty swimmer

Re: Some more rivers

Post by Nasty swimmer » Mon May 11, 2009 7:37 pm

I saw the Bran rapid a couple of years ago in full spate with the river pouring over the full width of the weir at the top. Grade 5+ I reckoned - just one long ramp of white with an occasional exploding haystack - so I ran away. I went back last year to see if it might be a bit friendlier at lower levels. This time all the water was going through the power station and there was just a trickle down the rapid and *WARNING* there are two concrete bridges/walkways that go half way across the rapid from the left bank. They were submerged at high water but if a boat went under them the result would be pretty unpleasant.

stan2this

Re: Some more rivers

Post by stan2this » Mon May 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi

Thanks for your comments about the Bran - it`s a pity you`ve only seen it at the two extremes of level - very high and very low. When I saw it, it looked quite user friendly. I`ll have another look if I`m ever up there again, and hopefully I`ll have a boat with me this time.

Re the concrete bits - I don`t really remember them being a problem, probably because they are on the left, and when I was there, the main run was down the right. But it`s useful information.