Afon Grwyne Fawr - Grwyne Fawr Reservoir to the Usk

Post by Mark R » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Re: Afon Grwyne Fawr - Grwyne Fawr Reservoir to the Usk

Post by Mark Gawler » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:58 pm

A nice Video of this section is linked from this forum discussion.
Mark Gawler

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 pm

The videos actually show the section between the dam & the car park, whereas the river guide starts from the car park. It is a private road past the farm so please be considerate.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

andy g

Re: Afon Grwyne

Post by andy g » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 pm

On Sunday 25th we ran the river (or most of us did! my boat did a solo trip) . The gauge appeared to be partially broken as it was at an angle of 60 Deg rather than vertical, but it still registered around 6/6.5 . (not sure how this relates to the 0.29 mentioned above)
At this level the river was really pumping and the eddies were small so it was very much read and run. Although there were trees in the river , all were passable with care in the section above Llangenny. There is one totally across the river below this, but it was navigable with care and an agile limbo dance.
The main hazard at this level is the first step of Llangenny weir , which was a definite portage, and the eddies above it were very small.
I would love to try it at a lower level , when I expect it would be a cracking paddle.
Andy

stonercanoe

Re: Afon Grwyne

Post by stonercanoe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi Andy, if you go to the Environment Agency website and look up the information they provide on river guages, that is where I got the figure from. The guage on the weir has been at an angle for a while! I always portage the weir, however at different levels mates do run the drops immediately after the weir!How does that compare to your run? Jason

andy g

Post by andy g » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi Jason
I have found the Millbrook webcam , but there is not enough back data to know what the level was on Nov 25th.

The river was certainly high, but perhaps not as high as the 0.88 in September 2012.

The tow back on the Llangenny weir was at least 2 boat lengths, but those that paddled the bottom section put in just below this top weir and ran all the other drops directly below this.

The section from Cwm Bridge down was certainly challenging on the day. Some of our group compared it to an Alpine river with very fast current, several small must-make eddies, drops that had to be read on the fly and other similarities.

The instructions from our river leader were : when in doubt keep in the middle , and above all stay upright.

As above, I would love to do this again at a more "normal" level.

Andy

Andy

boom

Post by boom » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Tried to paddle today (after some faff!) but were turned back at the gate by the bungalow by a woman who told us that it was a private road.
Despite being very polite and gentle reasoning she would have have none of it. Being quite late we opted for the pub instead of the long walk uphill.

Stewart

Post by Stewart » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Ran the lower Grwyne this morning. EA Millbrook on-line gauge on 0.4 (OK level), which matched the river left physical gauge just above the Millbrook weir (river right gauge still not mended). Watch out for a string of barbed wire across (which we could duck under), not far down from get in - may not be obvious in higher water. One tree across the river (been there a long time and easily portaged) which we could have paddled over on river right. Some overhanging trees to navigate around may be a problem at higher levels.

andy g

Post by andy g » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:00 am

Finally got to run the river with my boat yesterday!
The EA on-line gauge was 0.38 which again matched the gauging marker at Llangenny weir. At this level is was Grade 2+/3 but a really enjoyable paddle for a small group.
The strand of barbed wire was still in place about 100m below Cwm Bridge get in, our leader exited to hold it up for the rest of us to duck underneath, but this would be an issue in higher water. (It would be easy to start the paddle just below this hazard if in doubt)
The tree mentioned by Stewart was passable river right with a little effort, but it might be sensible of the group to exit above and put on some safety.
The first step of Llangenny weir was shootable at this level, but the visible presence of the rebar spikes in the anti-scour lip again suggests that putting on safety from the bank is a wise precaution.
Andy