purchase land on River Usk

South of Severn/ Rheidol catchment
stonercanoe

purchase land on River Usk

Post by stonercanoe » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Once in a lifetime opportunity. River Usk, Crickhowell, river right after bridge there is a pony paddock for sale. Paddlers lets buy it, get Canoe Wales to buy it. It would be perfect Access to river. No more hassle off fishermen or Wye Usk Foundation. The price £30,000 plus? The cost of one olympic athlete, compared to thousands of recreational boaters!
I will put money where my mouth is and pledge £250. Lets get it! Jason.

chriscw

Re: purchase land on River Usk

Post by chriscw » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Great idea if we can also get a corresponding access point upstream or egress point downstream...
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:21 pm

got a link to whoever is selling it?
it's be interesting to see some pictures
P.R
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:56 pm

If I remember correctly river left bank above Crickhowell Bridge is Monmouthshire Council land, which makes it public access land. Personally I have enjoyed hopping out river left under the bridge and making use of the Bridge Inn car park and gone in there for a cup of tea afterwards.

Personally I don't think buying the land is the way to go, especially if you consider the possible restraints of use that could be placed on by the National Parks Authority. And noting that BBNP refused permission to create an access point at Llangynidr bridge. In fact I am surprised they allowed the landing stage in Brecon to be created by WUF, I sent them a letter asking how that occurred and why there are hideous blue signs littering the valley.

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:24 am

Had a, very swift, initial reply from the National Park, it seems there is already a case in place for objection to the signs along the Usk.

Denys

Post by Denys » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:45 pm

According to OS maps there's a bridleway that follows what must have been the original ford crossing of the river, from the Bridge Inn car park to the boundary wall of the Vine Tree Inn car park, so I'll continue getting off there and using the public right of way right from the water to the road!!
www.theoutsideelement.co.uk ...using nature's playground.

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Thank you to all those who read my message. I have been it touch with th BBNP (Breon Beacons National Park) Splash Officer whose remit is to promote all water based recreation in the National Park. He is very supportive as he is a paddler! I have been in touch with Canoe Wales, Ashley Charlwood, and CW are looking into the possibility of buying the land. Yep there is a public right of way to the river any way. Yes the land upstream of the bridge, river left is owned by the council (Powys I think). Monmouthshire own Castle Meadow, in Abergavenny, down stream of bridge near Waitrose, river left. Crick to Abergavenny is a lovely open boat run, all year round, yet how many people do it? If we own our own egress points then surely it puts us in a more powerful position? This would open the sport up to more people, not just the committed.
Jason

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri May 11, 2012 9:08 am

This would be a nice Riverside investment (By the weir on the Brecon to Talybont section).

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sat May 12, 2012 8:46 pm

You even get the fishing rights...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon May 14, 2012 9:06 am

If I just had a spare million lying around...
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

tawe boy

Post by tawe boy » Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Seems a bit strange that CW choose to invest all that money when its members have no legal right of Navigationon that stretch of river!!

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu May 17, 2012 9:58 am

Tawegirl is it a rubber fetish, that you have, that makes you want to hang out with canoeists? Is it the thought of all that neoprene that gets you excited? Or is it our lovely colours, that you envy whilst you are stuck with drab green? You can come and join us if you really want, you'll see what you are missing out on. Beware though the smiles and joy to be found, when getting off a fine flowing river, are very infectious and you might not fit in with the glum chums of yours any more!

Strad

Post by Strad » Thu May 17, 2012 10:07 am

tawe boy wrote:Seems a bit strange that CW choose to invest all that money when its members have no legal right of Navigationon that stretch of river!!
taweboy, even by your own arguments, if they buy the land they have the right to navigate there...

Of course we all know in truth that right to navigate our rivers was enshrined in Magna Carta and doesn't appear to have been changed since for the majority of rivers....

< Darn - think I just fed the troll :-) >
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Denys

Post by Denys » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:33 am

Just wondering whatever came of this idea?
www.theoutsideelement.co.uk ...using nature's playground.

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:00 pm

The estate agents were saying the asking price was in the region of £20,000. I spoke to various people in Canoe Wales and their consensus was that this was way to much money.
My feelings still are that a one off purchase for a sport and leisure facility for the nation is worth it, especially post Olympic legacy and all that. We have an ancient right to navigate, but access to the river bank and suitable car parking is not guaranteed. I am not an Olympic athlete! Wouldn't it be great if our governing bodies did more for grass roots boating?
Lastly who wants to grovel and doff their caps to the Wye and Usk Foundation, especially when they allow access on their terms, and then remove it eg Gliffaes Hotel.

This was a unique opportunity and no one could be bothered. Same old story.

Jason

Afon

Post by Afon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:54 am

stonercanoe wrote:Lastly who wants to grovel and doff their caps to the Wye and Usk Foundation, especially when they allow access on their terms, and then remove it eg Gliffaes Hotel.
Just to put the record straight,the WUF did not remove access at the Gliffaes Hotel, the owner was very much on side with paddlers, but his request that it be used as a pick-up point only and that no cars/vans/trailers be parked at the entrance was regularly ignored by inconsiderate groups of paddlers.

I am a local paddler and paddle the Usk regularly, and witnessed large groups of "club/university" paddlers parked on the verge (garden/lawn) of the hotel drive, and was told to "f**k off" when I pointed out that they were jeopardising this egress point.

I have no love of the WUF or "Access Agreements" and the attitude of these groups.

P.S. This is not directed at groups of paddlers generally, most are considerate, but the actions of a few have "cost" the many.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Am I dreaming, or have a couple of posts by a local paddler appeared here and then disappeared again in the last couple of days?
Dave Thomas