AFON NEDD FECHAN

South of Severn/ Rheidol catchment
MJC

Nedd Fechan Trees

Post by MJC »

There is now a significant blockage just before the confluance with the Pyrddin consisting of several boughs forming an x-shape across the whole river that is passable in low-medium flows but will be dangerous in high flows.

There is also a fallen tree 100m before the get-out which is bridging the whole river just before it urns sharply right into the final mini-gorge, again this could present a hazard in medium-high flows.

There are also plenty of other passable but annoying trees along the length of this river so keep your eyes peeled!
Matt.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

I have trimmed some of smaller branches out of major blockage above Pyrddin - in case someone gets swept into it, there's less chance of getting caught up - still don't recommend trying to paddle through.

The one above get out is long gone.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

MJC

Re: Nedd Fechan Trees

Post by MJC »

Grid SN 898 091, Just above confluence of Afon Pyrddin/Afon Nedd Fechan.
There is an area of significant & multiple tree fall with significant potential for pinning and general badness if you try to paddle through.
This obstruction will probably require a chainsaw to clear, in flood it is possible that debris could collect on it causing a nasty strainer.
Please be careful, portage river Right around the obstruction in low-medium water or left in higher water.
I will try and inform the EA as it is a "watercourse blocked by vehicle or fallen tree causing risk of flooding", allthough there is no immediate danger of this.
Matt.

Kayak-Bloke

Nedd Fechan. Tree hazards.

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

A small group of us paddled the Nedd Fechan today.
The stone at the take out was just under so a low level run but great fun.
However, there are more trees down across the river including one right across 'Horseshoe Falls'. This is the highlight for lots of people aiming to do the Nedd Fechan so let's hope it gets shifted soon.
At the levels we did it today there's plenty of time to grab eddies and portage.
As the NF is a popular spate run best beware, some of the trees that are down would make this a dangerous proposition.
In higher levels my advice is do the Mellte or Tawe instead!!

Nige'
Last edited by Kayak-Bloke on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Smith

Re: Nedd Fechan. Tree hazards.

Post by Paul Smith »

Kayak-Bloke wrote: In higher levels my advice is do the Mellte or Tawe instead!!

Nige'
Assume that there are no trees down on those rivers. Which there are a few new ones on the Mellte.
Supported by : Team Pyranha | PeakUK

jackbay131

Post by jackbay131 »

lol i did warn parksy. no epics then?
Pay cheques , here today , gone tomorrow.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

Hi Jack!
He said you'd mentioned it.
No no dramas.
Low levels. A couple of rolls no swims.

Funniest one was Parksey showing off to a little girl with her dad.

"It loves being sideways" he told the little girl just before catching an edge on a submerged rock and taking a tumble...

The little girl thought it was great...

boom

Post by boom »

Three trees down on the Nedd Fechan today. First fallen diagonally from river left over the second drop of Horseshoe falls, it is sneakable tight against the left.
The second was about 100 yrds upstream of the Pyrridin confluence, not far after the last sizeable drop (8-10ft'er) and required a portage, the last about 200 yrds downsteam of the Pyrridin confluence would be sneakable in all but the highest water.
The one in Horseshoe falls is likely to be there for some time as the one end is still attached on river left with the other end pinned against the river right slot of the first drop.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke »

Couple of things:
Firstly Paul is right I would have edited my previous post saying do the Tawe or Mellte instead but can't now.
Tress down on all rivers in this area.

Boom's observations, directly above: I agree the tree at Horseshoe falls is sneakable on river left however most people take the first drop of horseshoe on river right and therefore would have to get right across to make the gap.
We considered it in low water but gave it a miss.
In high water I wouldn't try it... No way.

Anyone got a chiansaw a Tirfor and some cable?

All best.

Nige'

Dr Robin

Re: Rivers Tarell, Tawe and Ned Fechan, updates please

Post by Dr Robin »

When I was on the Ned Fechan about 3 weeks ago there was a HUGE tree in horseshoe falls. What a shame, it's probably the best rapid on the river. There was also another tree in a flat section further down.

wezzzy

Re: Rivers Tarell, Tawe and Ned Fechan, updates please

Post by wezzzy »

Dr Robin wrote:When I was on the Ned Fechan about 3 weeks ago there was a HUGE tree in horseshoe falls. What a shame, it's probably the best rapid on the river. There was also another tree in a flat section further down.
Was on the Nedd Fechan last week, Horseshoe is still blocked and it doesn't look like moving anytime soon.

Floater1

Nedd Fechan - River Guide

Post by Floater1 »

Hi

I'm new to this forum, a few of us are looking to paddle the Nedd Fechan next month (Feb 2011) and we wondering if there were any up to date river reports?

Thanks.

parksey

Re: Nedd Fechan - River Guide

Post by parksey »

Hey Bud

Yes trees, more trees and on every fun feature more trees. Really not worth the effort at the moment.

Last paddles about 4 months ago.

Hope this helps
What could possibly go wrong?

jmmoxon

Re: Nedd Fechan - River Guide

Post by jmmoxon »

Paddled today & it was high enough to get over most of the trees, wouldn't be as much fun at normal flows, this one still across Horseshoe Falls:

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

jmmoxon

AFON NEDD FECHAN

Post by jmmoxon »

Link to Guide

Don't try to get on further up at Blaen Nedd Farm, the river disappears down Pwll y Rhyd cave - vertically.