Hazards put in the Usk

South of Severn/ Rheidol catchment
stonercanoe

Hazards put in the Usk

Post by stonercanoe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Abergavenny Canoe Club ran Aberbran to Brecon on the Usk on Sunday. Nice level and a successful trip.
Before we got on the farmer at Aberbran had a chat. He was very friendly and I asked permission to cross his field and he was fine with it. We saw 2 fishermen and passed them with no hassles.
Just before the last longish rapid with the house on the right bank, about where Llanspyddid is on the road, some one has put concrete piles into the river bed. These have big bolts sticking out of them. Some of them are connected by big planks to make walk ways in to the river. The one set goes about a quarter of the way across the river. The planks and bolts could cause harm to a paddler or a swimmer.
I can guess who has done this. I can wonder if they have permission?
I have asked CW environmental officer to contact BBNP, NRW, and Powys County Council.
Will post any outcomes.
Jason

stonercanoe

Re: Hazards put in the Usk

Post by stonercanoe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Steve Rayner (CW access and Environment officer) contacted NRW.
Basically NRW said they authorised the damage to the river bed and allowed the obstruction to navigation to be placed across the river. Their excuse ; they have no jurisdiction over navigation.
Steve has said he will contact WUF, to remind them that if someone drowns because of this, then the landowner and the person doing the work could be held liable.
Steve has done all he can.
Personally I am disgusted by NRW response and disappointed CW can't do more.
Basically on a popular section of grade 1/2 that a lot of beginners use for their first river trip nothing will be done to remove a hazard to navigation unless someone gets hurt or dies.
Be careful.
Jason