South of Severn/ Rheidol catchment
moonshinediva

Taxi pick Glasbury/ Whitney on Wye area

Post by moonshinediva » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Had a lovely Sunday paddle from Glasbury

moonshinediva

Glasbury/ Whitney on Wye paddle

Post by moonshinediva » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:43 pm

A lovely Sunday paddle, only ones on the water. First river experience as usually salty sea types. Bit low in places, most hilarious moment when other half ignored the go right on the weir instruction and got stranded, had to get off and push, unfortunately no photos I was laughing too much.
Purpose was to prove to other half that winter paddling is possible, so he tested his Yak chinooks and cags effectively Landed at boat inn with some trepidation as know some have had issues here but they were fine plus open fire and half decent food.
Appreciate that the ripply bits no where close to you hardened white water types but as a first river expedition they were great intro and I think I may now get the excitement over white water, just need to be a bit more manoeuvrable and better at reading the water, Lots of fun doing skills, backwards, forwards, eddy in/out and what I call a handbrake turn but probably has a proper name. Managed it in 3 hrs 21 which I didn't think was too bad. Need a paddle think though or more probably technique couple of blisters and a sore right forearm!
Don't usually promote stuff but made possible by a taxi firm based in Hay that can pick up from your final point and take to start, can transport up to 16 people and 8 canoes so we felt very spoilt just the 2 of us, has useful local information on routes, levels, stuff and things (Hay Bus Hay Taxi, 07974106656) Only mentioning as found them by a fluke as everyone tends to talk about Kennys.