Access agreements on this guide

South of Severn/ Rheidol catchment
richieyendle

Access agreements on this guide

Post by richieyendle » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi im new kayaker and me and a few mates went to sennybridge as the recommendation on this guide ... it was good the water was low and we had to jump out a few times but was a good crack and were looking forward to a higher level ...
however,
half way down we encountered a few fishers they were ok but had a shout at us and we told them that we didnt know about access agreements. we have since looked on the web and not really found anything concrete ( or water tight!) is there any place to clear this up ive clicked on the links in the guide but theyre broken i assumed that the rivers on this site were safe or is that me being presumptuous?

any help would be grateful

banzer

Re: Access agreements on this guide

Post by banzer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:47 am

Hi Richie

'Access agreements' are generally now considered defunct by the paddling community. It is considered that they are (were) a means for anglers / riparian owners to limit and restrict access for kayakers rather than have open and fair discussion.

There has not been a major legal case overing the matter so until this happens you will hear a different story from the two 'sides' (which is a crazy situation... in New Zealand and some other countries, we are on the same side, protecting the rivers against hydro plans).

Our opinion is based on the Magna Carta statute that allows navigation of any navigable water in the land. This has never been revoked hence legally still stands.

Your best best is to get hold of any recent UK guidebook such as 'Welsh Rivers' which will have a section on this.

Keep paddling! Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk